Jury Service

Started by full back, February 12, 2007, 03:34:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craigyhill Terror

I had one waiting for me this morning too

Bollocks

Homer

As Homer Simpson once said

"The key to getting out of jury duty is to say you're prejudice against all races."

bailestil

got the same this time last year, but was only called for service in Nov time.

I went for 6 weeks, was selected on twice. The first time, i went into the courtroom, and was asked very formally to leave the jury box... Anyone know the reason for contesting Jurors? (The fact i wore i hoddie that day must have helped!)
I gladly left.

The second time, i got called and was selected on the jury, expected to be on the Jury then for the trial, we were sent to Jury room to get organised, we were called back and the guy pleaded guilty.

The whole thing is the biggest waste of money. All that Crap just for the wee bastard to plead guilty.

If you wish to be excused you have to put your case before the judge... plenty did it in my group... very few were successful

Craigyhill Terror

How many 's'es are there in innocent?

Gold

Quote from: bailestil on February 12, 2007, 05:08:01 PM
got the same this time last year, but was only called for service in Nov time.

I went for 6 weeks, was selected on twice. The first time, i went into the courtroom, and was asked very formally to leave the jury box... Anyone know the reason for contesting Jurors? (The fact i wore i hoddie that day must have helped!)
I gladly left.

The second time, i got called and was selected on the jury, expected to be on the Jury then for the trial, we were sent to Jury room to get organised, we were called back and the guy pleaded guilty.

The whole thing is the biggest waste of money. All that Crap just for the wee bastard to plead guilty.

You contest Jurors to ensure u get the result u want ie--ur man off the hook

In a rape case u will try to go for an all-male young jury--same for murder etc--some case u may want all catholic juries--depending on the crime and where the defendent is from--if hes a wee smicker from the west, u dont want some east belfast loyalist on the jury so u challenge it

Full back--Your best bet is to get a hospital or semi-important sounding doctors appt set- up--or a holiday--this will not fail--u will be called into court, everyone will be asked if for any reason anyone cannot attend, raise your hand, stand up and produce a dog-eared bit of paper about a doctors appt and u will be excused

Thing is u probably fit the profile the defence will look for in a juror so make ur appt sound plausible--no defence wants a weepy woman deciding whether or not their defedent battered a woman and stroked her favourite shoes or not! 

If you wish to be excused you have to put your case before the judge... plenty did it in my group... very few were successful
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

stiffler

I got one of these letters too, it says something along the lines that i will be considered for jury service from September this year onwards.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Gold

You contest Jurors to ensure u get the result u want ie--ur man off the hook

In a rape case u will try to go for an all-male young jury--same for murder etc--some case u may want all catholic juries--depending on the crime and where the defendent is from--if hes a wee smicker from the west, u dont want some east belfast loyalist on the jury so u challenge it

Full back--Your best bet is to get a hospital or semi-important sounding doctors appt set- up--or a holiday--this will not fail--u will be called into court, everyone will be asked if for any reason anyone cannot attend, raise your hand, stand up and produce a dog-eared bit of paper about a doctors appt and u will be excused

Thing is u probably fit the profile the defence will look for in a juror so make ur appt sound plausible--no defence wants a weepy woman deciding whether or not their defedent battered a woman and stroked her favourite shoes or not! !
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

ONeill

Quote from: ziggysego on February 12, 2007, 04:53:37 PM
If you get selected, best to get thrown off the jury asap.

When the defendant comes in, run your finger across your throat and give him the evil eye.

That made me laugh.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Billy Magoo

QuoteI got one of these letters too, it says something along the lines that i will be considered for jury service from September this year onwards.

Thats what I understand from my letter also.  Fill out the form enclosed and from Sept onwards you could be called to do jury service.

Armagh4SamAgain

What age do you have to be to get called up? Is there a certin age or can ne one get called random?
'We just go out to play our football and let the critics say what they want. They usually do anyway"

illdecide

Another option is if you have a criminal record they will not call you (do you have any local post offices) The day i was there a lady told the judge she had to bring her mother to Belvoir hospital (cancer hospital) and that she was the only available relative to bring her and the c**k-box still wouldn't excuse her. Thats what your up against, just go and experience it and at least thats you exempt for 15 years wheras all those people who get excussed can be recalled at any time ;)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

johnneycool

Quote from: Billy Magoo on February 13, 2007, 09:14:08 AM
QuoteI got one of these letters too, it says something along the lines that i will be considered for jury service from September this year onwards.

Thats what I understand from my letter also.  Fill out the form enclosed and from Sept onwards you could be called to do jury service.

If that is the first letter from the jury service don't fill it in. they send those out to people selected from the electoral register, if you don't fill it in they assume you either didn't get it or are no longer at that address and leave it at that.

If you fill it in (like I did a year ago) you will get a follow up letter telling you what courthouse you need to report to and when. It's at this point you either need to be a teacher or have a very good reason to get out of it.

P.S. It isn't that bad even though there is a load of pfaffing about to sit through. There is some real Jerry Springer type goings on in our midst I tell you.

pintsofguinness

QuoteThats what your up against, just go and experience it and at least thats you exempt for 15 years wheras all those people who get excussed can be recalled at any time
I don't think so I'lldecide. A friend of mine had to do it about 12 months ago and one of the people he was serving with was doing it for the second time in about 18 months. (wouldnt you be sick.)

If that is the first letter from the jury service don't fill it in. they send those out to people selected from the electoral register, if you don't fill it in they assume you either didn't get it or are no longer at that address and leave it at that.
They f**king do not forget about you! I tried that, doesn't work, they torture you with threatening letters.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Square Ball

So I take it you are better of taking it like a man and going >:(
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

ardal

Don't be a wee dafty! Why don't you simply tak it on the chin and when you arrive at the court house on the appointed day, throw in a smoke bomb and wave a plastic pistol about. You'll probably be refused by both sides unless it's for artistic interpretation