Tyrone v Cork - Healy Park, 13/03/10

Started by omagh_gael, March 08, 2010, 10:12:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canalman

Really enjoyed the game on Setanta. A match of ebbs and flows if ever I saw one. A psychologically bad game for Cork to lose imo.

Final Whistle

Quote from: omagh_gael on February 08, 2010, 12:03:14 PM
Quote from: cookstownblue on February 08, 2010, 11:58:59 AM
Quote from: randomtask on February 06, 2010, 11:42:34 PM
i would say i have seen colm cavanagh play about 8 times in his senior club and country career and every time i have seen him he has been dung, duno what mickey sees in him how many chances is he guna give him to preform, personally i would turf him out!

Agree with you mate, he's woeful, for him to say he scored in an AlL-Ireland final is an injustice!

To be honest Francie Bellew could have scored that point  :P

Lamh Dhearg Alba-i wouldnt pay too much attention to randomtask-he seems to enjoy slating players from his own county. Its a characteristic which is not admirable to say the least. Maybe, like Cavanagh, Curran will up his game and once again random task/cookstown blue and omagh gael will look...quite stupid.

Its startling to see how quick people raced onto the derry thread to slate CC, yet no sign or praise when he plays well. Not the type of fan I would like to associate with.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Final Whistle on March 15, 2010, 12:11:00 PM
i would say i have seen colm cavanagh play about 8 times in his senior club and country career and every time i have seen him he has been dung, duno what mickey sees in him how many chances is he guna give him to preform, personally i would turf him out!

Agree with you mate, he's woeful, for him to say he scored in an AlL-Ireland final is an injustice!

Lamh Dhearg Alba-i wouldnt pay too much attention to randomtask-he seems to enjoy slating players from his own county. Its a characteristic which is not admirable to say the least. Maybe, like Cavanagh, Curran will up his game and once again random task/cookstown blue and omagh gael will look...quite stupid.

Its startling to see how quick people raced onto the derry thread to slate CC, yet no sign or praise when he plays well. Not the type of fan I would like to associate with.
actually was a bit embarassed by some of the tyrone fans around me on sat night.
just before half time, tyrone players were recieving a terrible slating, every player and every single incident being criticised.I could hear the 'supporters' behind me sayin tyrone are finished, to many players are done, we are along way away form croke park etc.
then que tyrones 2 goals, and all of asudden the same people are on thier feet cheering the team off at half time. alot of very very fickle followers of tyrone football (maybe every county is the same)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

ziggysego

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on March 15, 2010, 12:40:05 PM
actually was a bit embarassed by some of the tyrone fans around me on sat night.
just before half time, tyrone players were recieving a terrible slating, every player and every single incident being criticised.I could hear the 'supporters' behind me sayin tyrone are finished, to many players are done, we are along way away form croke park etc.
then que tyrones 2 goals, and all of asudden the same people are on thier feet cheering the team off at half time. alot of very very fickle followers of tyrone football (maybe every county is the same)

Same around me too. At half time, when they were cheering and talking about September football. I asked the man next to me what has changed in the last 10 minutes for the turn around in opinions. He'd no real answer for me.
Testing Accessibility

marym

Anybody hear anything about the Cork team being involved in a accident on the way to the game. TO be honest I would not read much into the game as both teams were short a lot of their main men.

tyronefan

well it didnt happen between Carrickmacross and Omagh because I was driving behind the bus

ziggysego

Quote from: tyronefan on March 15, 2010, 01:17:57 PM
well it didnt happen between Carrickmacross and Omagh because I was driving behind the bus

So it wasn't an 'accident' then, you ran them off the road?
Testing Accessibility

omagh_gael

Lamh Dhearg Alba-i wouldnt pay too much attention to randomtask-he seems to enjoy slating
players from his own county. Its a characteristic which is not admirable to say the least. Maybe, like Cavanagh, Curran will up his game and once again random task/cookstown blue and omagh gael will look...quite stupid.

I think you'll find I have given my fair dues to CC final whistle following both the Mayo and Cork games, i admit I did slate him following Derry match but so did many others and he did have a
stinker. I think its great he's showing up so well and it appears he's giving us a real option in the middle. You seem to have taken my post the wrong way...it was Tongue in cheek!

Quote from: omagh_gael on March 13, 2010, 10:04:34 PM
Great game first off, still don't know how Tyrone won but showed great fight to get back into it! Again well done Colm Cavanagh, was involved in a lot of good moves and showed for the ball all night. I don't think he meant his goal TBH, was right level with him when he hit it and looked like he under hit a point attempt.

Defence was quite loose at times and we are giving away so many scores through silly silly mistakes, Johnny Curran had an absolute shocker. He just seemed to loose the head after a couple of early mistakes. Surprised he stayed on.

Overall an excellent game for this time of year with some great score-taking, excellent to have two points on the board and hopefully we can add to that in Tuam next Sunday!

orangeman

Quote from: tyronefan on March 15, 2010, 01:17:57 PM

Did they stay over Saturday night or go straight home ?

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: marym on March 15, 2010, 01:14:02 PM
Anybody hear anything about the Cork team being involved in a accident on the way to the game. TO be honest I would not read much into the game as both teams were short a lot of their main men.
i thought that was a very strong cork team, i make it about 12 of the team that started agianst tyrone in the championship last year
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Final Whistle

Quote from: omagh_gael on March 15, 2010, 01:21:14 PM

I think you'll find I have given my fair dues to CC final whistle following both the Mayo and Cork games, i admit I did slate him following Derry match but so did many others and he did have a stinker. I think its great he's showing up so well and it appears he's giving us a real option in the middle.

Quote from: omagh_gael on March 13, 2010, 10:04:34 PM
Great game first off, still don't know how Tyrone won but showed great fight to get back into it! Again well done Colm Cavanagh, was involved in a lot of good moves and showed for the ball all night. I don't think he meant his goal TBH, was right level with him when he hit it and looked like he under hit a point attempt.

Defence was quite loose at times and we are giving away so many scores through silly silly mistakes, Johnny Curran had an absolute shocker. He just seemed to loose the head after a couple of early mistakes. Surprised he stayed on. Don't think I was overly harsh on JC, just stated he lost the head after a couple of early mistakes.

Overall an excellent game for this time of year with some great score-taking, excellent to have two points on the board and hopefully we can add to that in Tuam next Sunday!

so whats the moral of the story????

Especially when we have a repeat situation happening to young curran?

Overthebar!

still can't make up my mind on if he meant to go for goal or not however i did hear that he had himself as first goalscorer at 16/1. would have thought he would have been longer odds myself tho...

tyroneman

Curren cannot be blamed for short kick outs per se (some folk tried to even blame him for Gormleys feck up last week) as it is clear MH is using the NFL to mix it up a bit.  It was obvious to those watching Cork murder us with low trajectory kicking in the semi that we needed to be a lot smarter  with our ko. What you can blame curren for though is his execution of these. Time and again they have been poor. He has directl cost several points and I am still at a loss as to what he brings to the team over packie, devine or even harney. 

Personally speaking I would have the following as first choice (if all fit and 100% on form)

Devine

Swift
Justy
Dermy

Red Sean
Block
Model

Hub
Cass

Enda
Brian
Joe

Penfold
Sean
SON

question of form is the key though. Enda seems badly out of sorts and you wonder if he is carrying an injury. Didn't even feature against Cork. Heard great reports about how fit Brian was yet he seems very slow so far.

Time will tell I guess and class is permanent.

Any update on SON???

omagh_gael

I agree FW, Curran should be given the benefit of the doubt but it is a discussion forum after all, no harm in highlighting negative as well as positive aspects.

On a separate issue, what's up with Packie? What sort of injury is he carrying?

It mentioned in the Tyrone Herald this morning that the cork bus had an accident in the centre of Omagh but doesn't provide any other details.

MR99

Have to say while I enjoyed the match I feared that the boys would get arrested for larceny on the way home.  There were some positives to be taken from the game and Micky has a lot of thinking to do.  Starting with the keeper, enough has been said already, a liability at club level never mind county I really dont think Micky is doing him any favours by picking him, it really could wreck the lad, time to call Micky O'Neill or Harney up as no. 3. 

Thought Swift was steady enough and that McCarron was a revelation (remember that Goulding has been Cork's main man all year) and it may be time to hand him the No. 3 jersey now that he is back and free Justy to line out in the middle.  Justy had a poor game but he should be allowed one, have to remember the amount of time Cork men had to deliver quality ball in, he was on a hiding to nothing.

Davey had a nightmare, totally anonymous as he has been lately and every team in the country has twigged on to his defensive weakness, only seems to be suited to Croke is late summer where he always does well.  Conor was following iunstructions by leaving his man to cover the hole but the tactic worked against him, some good tackles and a really inspiring point.  Ricey had a bad day but still lead well when needed and his man did not do a lot of damage. 

I think Cass was superb, virtually won the game single handedly, superb driving forward and would benefit greatly from Justy or Hub to anchor him.  As for Colm, there seemed to have been a pact with his man for both of them to leave each other free to make each other look good.  Watched the game again last night and his man got on oceans of ball with him nowhere to be seen.  Colm picked up a bit in loose play and carried into the space, he's defintiely improving but from where he started from he would have needed to.  The goal was a repeat of the underhit point effort against Monaghan, just got luckier this time!

The decision to start Mulgrew at 11 instead of pulling McCullagh in was a big mistake, McCullagh really has to be considering his place on the panel now.  Mulgrew was quite anonymous, chased shadows all day as his man continuosly drove forward knowing he had nothing to fear.  Micky cant wait much longer to see the potential fulfilled.  Donnelly didn't cut it at half forward but fared a lot better when moved in as expected, needs game time and will improve.  Tommy had an off day and really didn't get on enough ball.

IMO the 3 full forwards were excellent.  Penrose never stopped working and had to be pulled out to the middle to cover the inadequacies further out the field.  Mugsy was really sharp and won all the good ball that came his way, looks hungry and that bodes well.  McCusker was a great target man inside, had the beating of his man at all times and layed off some great ball.  Unfortunately he was then pulled out to the half instead of Donnelly to keep Noel O'Leary on the back foot and was effective at this also, McCusker tackled very well all day. 

Big Sean needed the run out, couldn't get into the game but will do much better the next day if the hunger is there.  Red Sean made a big difference and his superb point was the turning point in the second half, he was very effective at sitting in the hole and sweeping.  McCullagh looked sharp again and surely has to start soon.