Derry v Tyrone Sat 6th Feb in Celtic Park

Started by Fuzzman, January 30, 2010, 10:47:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mountain Gael

Derry played really well tonight. Congrats to all involved and keep it up. Have to keep improving as the summer is the most important. I have always thought that we have a team over this last few years to be doing alot better.

ONeill

Quote from: Oakleafer1993 on February 06, 2010, 09:57:22 PM
just in from game - celtic park still remains unconquered!

Tyrone really scored that goal against the run of play - Derry unlucky not to have scored a few other goals - the score line did not reflect Derrys dominance. Charlie Kielt excellent game. Declan Mullan excellent when he came on and James Kielt is something else. He got tanked at the end of the game - hope he is ok.

From what I saw, Tyrone arguably looked the better side in the first half and should've been ahead but for a rake of kicks dropped unforgiveably short.

Big question marks over Curran, Swift and Cavanagh at this level.  What happened with the Brian McGuigan incident? Jury still out on Cassidy too. Enjoyed McNabb and Coney's performances in the first half as attacking forces. Surprised to see the three going off (Justin too). Early days and plenty of food for thought before Mayo.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

For Derry, if they can integrate Kielt more centrally then the burden is well and truely lifted off the Bradleys. He's as good a talent as Martin Clarke. Excellent footballer. O'Kane outstanding too. Scoring 1-18 without the brother of Ulster's best forward against Tyrone is something worth getting mildly excited about. 

Trevor Hill

Quote from: ONeill on February 06, 2010, 10:46:53 PM
From what I saw, Tyrone arguably looked the better side in the first half and should've been ahead but for a rake of kicks dropped unforgiveably short.

What game were you watching? Tyrone were dire tonight, but its only February they will improve whereas that was Derrys biggest game of the year.

Oakleafer1993

Quote from: Trevor Hill on February 06, 2010, 11:07:11 PM

What game were you watching? Tyrone were dire tonight, but its only February they will improve whereas that was Derrys biggest game of the year.

yeah and the mckenna cup will be Downs!

ONeill

Quote from: Trevor Hill on February 06, 2010, 11:07:11 PM

Tyrone were dire for the entire second half as well as the opening 10 of the first. At 4-1 down, Tyrone played some of the best football of the game to lead 5-4. Derry mustve scored a dozen points from frees or placed balls.

Trevor Hill

I only saw the game from about the 25th minute. Tyrone were awful in the time that I watched it. If Derry scored a dozen or so from frees then that means they were attacking in the first place to get those frees. Derry seem to put a lot into the league every year and run out of steam in the championship.

ONeill

Quote from: Trevor Hill on February 06, 2010, 11:27:16 PM
I only saw the game from about the 25th minute. Tyrone were awful in the time that I watched it. If Derry scored a dozen or so from frees then that means they were attacking in the first place to get those frees. Derry seem to put a lot into the league every year and run out of steam in the championship.

So you can't really comment on the first half if you
only saw 10 mins of it. Yes, as I said, Derry dominated the second and Tyrone could only foul them.

clarshack

thought brian mcguigan and enda mcginley were largely anonymous tonight and for the 2nd game running too and dont get me started on colm cavanagh. it seemed a bizzare decision to take off kyle coney as i thought he was one of the better performers. derry are always hard to beat at home but i thought we would have put up more of fight and how many shots did we put in the keepers hands ffs?

randomtask

i would say i have seen colm cavanagh play about 8 times in his senior club and country career and every time i have seen him he has been dung, duno what mickey sees in him how many chances is he guna give him to preform, personally i would turf him out!

ONeill

Penrose played well at times but thrives better in the space O'Neill and Mugsy's presence gives him. Still baffled by the subs. Those who came on - Ricey, McCusker and O'Neill I think - didn't strengthen the side even though it coincided with the 1-2 scored in quick succession.

Did Colm touch it in the first half?

clarshack

Quote from: ONeill on February 06, 2010, 11:46:19 PM
Penrose played well at times but thrives better in the space O'Neill and Mugsy's presence gives him. Still baffled by the subs. Those who came on - Ricey, McCusker and O'Neill I think - didn't strengthen the side even though it coincided with the 1-2 scored in quick succession.

Did Colm touch it in the first half?

i think he got 2 touches but how many touches did brian or enda get as well?

overall the work rate was poor from tyrone.

shortly before he was taken off, coney chased a lost cause and won it but there wasnt enough of this from the other tyrone players on the night.

up tyrone

Quote from: randomtask on February 06, 2010, 11:42:34 PM
i would say i have seen colm cavanagh play about 8 times in his senior club and country career and every time i have seen him he has been dung, duno what mickey sees in him how many chances is he guna give him to preform, personally i would turf him out!
Was no worse than some of the established stars,some of them living on days gone by.Some supporter u are coming out with comments like that.

tyrone86

Tyrone were overrun in the second half, but it was telling that the Derry goal came from a mistake from Johnny Curran as they never looked like finding the net otherwise. Far, far too much individual stuff going on tonight rather than playing to any type of system.

On the positive side, Justy McMahon had a fine game and never gave 'the best forward in Ulster ®' a sniff before he was bizarrely substituted. I wonder will the CCCC have a look at the footage of tonights game as it appeared that Bradley got stuck into Conor Gormley on the ground in the incident were he got booked in the 1st half. Probably not, I suspect. 

I also found the decision to take off McNabb and Coney strange as I thought both were doing fairly well. McNabb perhaps struggled slightly with the pace of Mullen in the 2nd half whilst some of Coney's shot selection may have been erratic, but they're in it for the long haul and it may take them a while to get adequately indoctrinated into Harte's way of thinking.

Hub and McGinley look to be seriously struggling to get up to pace of the game, while Cassidy needs a ball of his own, between running up cul de sacs, taking far too much out of the ball and holding up play in general.

As for Cavanagh the younger, play him at 8, 11 or 14 and give him a few weeks in the league to find his feet. He's certainly not a wing or corner man as they games passes him by far too much Sink or swim. Similarly, Swift has look decidedly dodgy in the corner in the past and more comfortable on the wing. As with the Cavanagh conundrum, why persist with stuff that clearly doesn't work

Mark Lynch along with James and Charlie Kielt seemed to be driving forces for Derry tonight with an impressive display from their half back line. In fairness, they didn't miss very much either, particularly in the 1st half when Tyrone dropped numerous balls into Gillis' hands. True to form however, the Derry support can't contain themselves and resort to the ole nonsense with 5 minutes left. Will they ever learn?

clarshack

Quote from: tyrone86 on February 07, 2010, 12:20:58 AM
I wonder will the CCCC have a look at the footage of tonights game as it appeared that Bradley got stuck into Conor Gormley on the ground in the incident were he got booked in the 1st half. Probably not, I suspect.

True to form however, the Derry support can't contain themselves and resort to the ole nonsense with 5 minutes left. Will they ever learn?

didnt tommy mcguigan get done for 4 weeks last year against derry based on setanta's live coverage. will be interesting to see what happens there.

the derry support will always be bitter when it comes to tyrone. was a few of them beside me and kyle coney was their target for the evening.