Homophobia and racism in Ireland

Started by Olly, February 08, 2010, 10:00:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

Quote from: The Forfeit Point on February 11, 2010, 01:02:11 PM
Quote from: Fiodoir Ard Mhacha on February 09, 2010, 07:45:41 PM
I agree re. all this crap about being 'disappointed if my son was gay'.

What would you think if your brother, your cousin or, worst still, your best friend turned out to be gay?

maybe just maybe it has something to do with the desire to continue the family tree and name, something which cannot be done obviously with gays and lesbians in the family.

One son, happens to be gay, end of family tree. Shucks. ::)
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

EC Unique

Quote from: longrunsthefox on February 11, 2010, 11:26:45 PM
About trying to hide your right wing, fundamental religious, racist, homophobic views behind the excuse you know loads who feel the same way. Have you children or is that a figment of your imagination? I would hope my children would never come home with a character like you...   

Fox. You seem to be taking me as some sort of white hood wearing, gay bashing mad man that is against all things different. I am not. I simply stated that I would be disappointed if my children turned out to be gay or married into another ethnic group. Neither of which would change my love for them. I would also be disappointed if they did not gain a 3rd level education, as I did but I would love them no less.

Maybe it is a bit old fashioned but it is how I feel.

I know a few gay people and have worked with several different nationality of people and I respect them all the same. They are all the same to me as anyone else.

The only thing that gets me going is homosexual men that insist in skipping about like a big fairy. No need!!
As far as I can make out they are in the minority amongst the gay community.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: EC Unique on February 12, 2010, 08:41:43 PM
About trying to hide your right wing, fundamental religious, racist, homophobic views behind the excuse you know loads who feel the same way. Have you children or is that a figment of your imagination? I would hope my children would never come home with a character like you...   

Fox. You seem to be taking me as some sort of white hood wearing, gay bashing mad man that is against all things different. I am not. I simply stated that I would be disappointed if my children turned out to be gay or married into another ethnic group. Neither of which would change my love for them. I would also be disappointed if they did not gain a 3rd level education, as I did but I would love them no less.

I know a few gay people and have worked with several different nationality of people and I respect them all the same. They are all the same to me as anyone else.

The only thing that gets me going is homosexual men that insist in skipping about like a big fairy. No need!!
Why?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Puckoon

If you dont mind me asking - how can you reconcile these two points of view?

Surely if they are the same as everyone else, why would it dissapoint you if your children married someone from another ethnic group.

And does that include carrickmore?

EC Unique

Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 12, 2010, 08:45:55 PM

Why?

Because they have already demonstrated a high academic ability and I would be disappointed if they did not use it to its full potential.

EC Unique

Quote from: Puckoon on February 12, 2010, 08:48:42 PM

Surely if they are the same as everyone else, why would it dissapoint you if your children married someone from another ethnic group.

I would just like them to be married to a nice Irish Catholic. Is that wish so wrong?

As for Carrickmore? I would f**king disown them :D

Puckoon

Quote from: EC Unique on February 12, 2010, 09:09:00 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on February 12, 2010, 08:48:42 PM

I would just like them to be married to a nice Irish Catholic. Is that wish so wrong?

As for Carrickmore? I would f**king disown them :D

Its a bit like wishing them to be an F1 driver - you are kinda putting constraints, no matter how subtle, on their lives.

First they got to find an Irish girl
Then shes got to be catholic
Then shes got to end up being nice.

Thats a tough set of criteria right there.

Personally if my old man told me he wanted me to be married to a nice irish catholic Id tell him to take a run and jump.

pintsofguinness

...and get a third level education puck!

I wouldn't like to be growing up in your house EC!

Fear ón Srath Bán

It's a fairly simple tenet: if you judge anyone differently because of what they were born, or the colour of his/her skin, or his/her sexual orientation, etc.,  you're a racist or a bigot.

Are you that fascist pig EC?
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

longrunsthefox

Ok EC... you want a nice, Irish white hetrosexual intelligent Catholic to marry your child. What if they were disabled? or a dwarf? or maybe had a stammer?....   

mylestheslasher

Quote from: longrunsthefox on February 12, 2010, 10:44:14 PM
Ok EC... you want a nice, Irish white hetrosexual intelligent Catholic to marry your child. What if they were disabled? or a dwarf? or maybe had a stammer?....   

...With a nice surname too ::)

EC Unique

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 12, 2010, 10:05:16 PM

It's a fairly simple tenet: if you judge anyone differently because of what they were born, or the colour of his/her skin, or his/her sexual orientation, etc.,  you're a racist or a bigot.

Are you that fascist pig EC?

I pretty much accept that I am mildly racist fear. I have demonstrated that already in my view that I would like my family to continue in the form that has served it so well. I am happy enough with that 'label'. It does not bother me. Why use the word 'pig'?

EC Unique

Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 12, 2010, 09:33:52 PM

Finding an Irish, Catholic girl in Ireland is not that difficult Pints! ::)

pintsofguinness

Quote from: EC Unique on February 13, 2010, 12:12:16 AM

Doesnt mean the person I'd want to marry is an Irish Catholic. 

EC Unique

Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 13, 2010, 12:21:13 AM
Quote from: EC Unique on February 13, 2010, 12:12:16 AM

Doesnt mean the person I'd want to marry is an Irish Catholic.
Certainly not Pints. I am only expressing my own views on this thread. You are intitled to what ever you want, as am I.