Homophobia and racism in Ireland

Started by Olly, February 08, 2010, 10:00:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

haveaharp

What if you were a siamese twin, your twin brother is gay you are not, you share the same ass, and he has a hot date tonight.

The Iceman

America definitely changed my thinking on a lot of this.  Living in somewhat rural Ireland you do not get exposed to too many other races(at least in 80's and 90's) or gay people.  In fact I think there was only one black man in our town and God Bless the poor lad hung himself.  Over here there are a lot of different people from different places - it really is one big melting pot.  I think I am more leaning towards Puck's views that people suck.  Depending on the area you live they might happen to be white, black, brown or yellow.  There is goodun's and baduns wherever you go.

I don't have anything against gay people.  I don't agree with how they live their lives but its their life and until the cross the boundary line into my world then there is no problem.  That standard though applies to anyone I encounter, gay or straight, black or white - you're ok in my book until you cross the line.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Master Yoda

Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering

ludermor

Quote from: The Iceman on February 09, 2010, 03:23:12 PM

I don't have anything against gay people.  I don't agree with how they live their lives but its their life and until the cross the boundary line into my world then there is no problem.  That standard though applies to anyone I encounter, gay or straight, black or white - you're ok in my book until you cross the line.
And people wonder why gays are afriad to come out! Can you imagine if your brother/sister were gay, they would love to have the love and support from a good sibling like yourself!

EC Unique

Quote from: longrunsthefox on February 09, 2010, 12:50:58 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on February 09, 2010, 11:14:07 AM
If my daughter came home with a coloured man I would be disappointed. If my son came home with another man I would be disappointed.

Does this mean I am racist and homophobic?

Absolutely

Fair enough. I am then. Thats how I fell and am happy enough with that.

leenie

my god some of you's are full of your own importance......

the word "disappointment" has been used a lot throughout this thread.... and for those who say it doesn't equate with love....

disappointment in another person especially a relation can have serious consequences, it is also a feeling not easily hid..

Disappointment is a subjective response related to the anticipated rewards. The psychological results of disappointment vary greatly among individuals; while some recover quickly, others mire in frustration or blame or become depressed. A 2003 study of young children with parental background of childhood onset depression found that there may be a genetic predisposition to slow recovery following disappointment. While not every person responds to disappointment by becoming depressed, depression can (in the self psychology school of psychoanalytic theory) almost always be seen as secondary to disappointment/frustration.

so whilst you say you would love your child nonetheless, you are actually causing the child more harm and in the case of the child i am sure they would relate "disappointment" to love....

what right do you have to be disappointed in their choices of partner through race or sexuality....?

I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

johnneycool

Quote from: EC Unique on February 09, 2010, 04:18:07 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on February 09, 2010, 12:50:58 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on February 09, 2010, 11:14:07 AM
If my daughter came home with a coloured man I would be disappointed. If my son came home with another man I would be disappointed.

Does this mean I am racist and homophobic?

Absolutely

Fair enough. I am then. Thats how I fell and am happy enough with that.

You can't help being racist or homophobic as that's just the way you are and as nature intended just as much as you can't help it if you're gay.

On that note, HTF.  ;)

BallyhaiseMan

People in general are c***ts no matter what sexuality or race they are.

Larry Duff

Quote from: leenie on February 09, 2010, 04:32:33 PM
my god some of you's are full of your own importance......

the word "disappointment" has been used a lot throughout this thread.... and for those who say it doesn't equate with love....

disappointment in another person especially a relation can have serious consequences, it is also a feeling not easily hid..

Disappointment is a subjective response related to the anticipated rewards. The psychological results of disappointment vary greatly among individuals; while some recover quickly, others mire in frustration or blame or become depressed. A 2003 study of young children with parental background of childhood onset depression found that there may be a genetic predisposition to slow recovery following disappointment. While not every person responds to disappointment by becoming depressed, depression can (in the self psychology school of psychoanalytic theory) almost always be seen as secondary to disappointment/frustration.

so whilst you say you would love your child nonetheless, you are actually causing the child more harm and in the case of the child i am sure they would relate "disappointment" to love....

what right do you have to be disappointed in their choices of partner through race or sexuality....?

::)

ONeill

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on February 09, 2010, 04:36:36 PM
People in general are c***ts no matter what sexuality or race they are.

I'm still resisting this notion but after a few decades it looks like it might hold some value. I honestly thought that everyone is good with a few people in a bad mood.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Hardy

I'd be disappointed if my son turned out to be black.

The Iceman

Quote from: ludermor on February 09, 2010, 03:57:53 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on February 09, 2010, 03:23:12 PM

And people wonder why gays are afriad to come out! Can you imagine if your brother/sister were gay, they would love to have the love and support from a good sibling like yourself!

Ludermor they would have my love and support but I don't have to agree with what they do behind closed doors.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

tyssam5

Quote from: gallsman on February 09, 2010, 02:41:23 PM
This Olly chap appears to be something of a sanctimonious ****. Read into that what you will. It's not personal abuse if you don't know what it says.  :)

Wouldn't care in the slightest if kids came home with boyfriends or girlfriends of a different skin colour. As long as we're not talking about gangbangers or drug dealers or the like.

If a son or daughter was gay would I feel disappointed? Yes. Would it mean I loved the any less? No.

Top quality bit of non-racism there!  :D :D :D :D

Puckoon

Quote from: Master Yoda on February 09, 2010, 02:56:33 PM
If my son was gay I'd be raging with the wife. There's no queers in my family.

This quote pretty much sums up the patheticness of some attitudes that prevail in Ireland, in the GAA community, and in the world today.

If these statements are even being made to try and be funny - its maybe even more pathetic.

Racism, sectarianism, homophobism, scumbagism is alive, well and thriving with you lot.

AZOffaly