Homophobia and racism in Ireland

Started by Olly, February 08, 2010, 10:00:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glens abu

Quote from: SuperMac on February 09, 2010, 12:51:24 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on February 09, 2010, 10:12:25 AM
Quote from: Tyrones own on February 08, 2010, 11:14:08 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on February 08, 2010, 11:03:45 PM
The worst racists I've encountered are the Irish and Irish Americans in New York... true right wingers. Horrible shower.

WTF...Please explain....  :o

It's a long story but I was in the Bronx for a few years in the early 90s and the attiude of the Irish and Irish American wannabes towards blacks and other minority gropus was appaling. Where do I start? As a black man told me over there, 'The first word the Irish learn getting off the plane is nigger.' A Jewish man told me the Irish are equal opportunists, they discriiminate against everyone. I was friendly with a few Peurto Ricans and went into an Irish cafe one night and next day the Kerry waitress told me not to bring them in again. When I told this to other Irsih people, most agreed with her. They banned Gays from their St Patrick's Day parade.
I could give dozens of examples. I found it quite an eye opener. Striking up a friendship with a black person was certainly frowned on by the Irish about Fordham Road, Decater Avenue and that area. Irony was they were throwing money into buckets for Irish freedom
I remember reading about when 19 year old Brenadette Devlin ( McAliskey) was in Chicago and was going to give a speech in a cinema been organised by just about every right wing redneck bigot from Ireland and Irish America. Some young black Americans turned up to hear her and the organisers wouldn't let them in. She wouldn't shake hands with Mayor Daly for his mistreatment of Anti Vietnam protestors by the Chicago police and refused to speak until they let them young blacks in. A major row insued, so as a comprise they let in the young blacks but they had to stand at the back. Some woman Bernadette.

:) a mighty woman alright

Larry Duff

Quote from: longrunsthefox on February 09, 2010, 02:30:06 PM
Quote from: Master Yoda on February 09, 2010, 01:25:14 PM
Would be very disappointed if my son grew up to be a queer.
Would be very disappointed if my daughter grew up to be a lesbian.
Would be very disappointed if my daughter married a black guy.
Wouldn't bother me that much if my son married a black girl, as long as she wasn't too black.

Master bigot more like....

Would be very disappointed if my son grew up to be gay
Would be very disappointed if my son grew up to be a waster
Would be very disappointed if my son grew up to be stupid
Would be very disappointed if my son grew up to be crap at football

All those statements are true, those are just things I would prefer him not to be. Am I a bigot? If I left out the first one am I a bigot? 

gallsman

This Olly chap appears to be something of a sanctimonious ****. Read into that what you will. It's not personal abuse if you don't know what it says.  :)

Wouldn't care in the slightest if kids came home with boyfriends or girlfriends of a different skin colour. As long as we're not talking about gangbangers or drug dealers or the like.

If a son or daughter was gay would I feel disappointed? Yes. Would it mean I loved the any less? No.

ziggysego

Quote from: Larry Duff on February 09, 2010, 02:40:40 PM
All those statements are true, those are just things I would prefer him not to be. Am I a bigot? If I left out the first one am I a bigot?

I'd only be disappointed if he was a waster. I'd be disappointed if he was stupid, because he was a waster. Other than that, I wouldn't be disappointed.
Testing Accessibility

gallsman

Quote from: ziggysego on February 09, 2010, 02:42:41 PM

I'd only be disappointed if he was a waster. I'd be disappointed if he was stupid, because he was a waster. Other than that, I wouldn't be disappointed.

You wouldn't be disappointed if your child was stupid? Come on Zig! You wouldn't prefer your child to be intelligent?

As I said before, disappointment does not equate with a lack of love.

ziggysego

Quote from: gallsman on February 09, 2010, 02:46:36 PM

You wouldn't be disappointed if your child was stupid? Come on Zig! You wouldn't prefer your child to be intelligent?

As I said before, disappointment does not equate with a lack of love.

People are different. If it can't be help, well so-be-it. If he's stupid because he didn't apply himself at school or try to learn things himself, then I would be disappointed.

And as you say disappointment does not equate lack of love. I wouldn't love my son any less of he was a waster, I'd just be disappointed.
Testing Accessibility

Larry Duff

That's fair enough if that's your honest opinion. I'm just being honest in pointing out things that would make me feel disappointed, but ( as gallsman said) it wouldn't make me love him any less. But too many people would prefer if we all just said the right thing and were never really honest just to make sure no one gets the opportunity to be offended.

gallsman

Of course you can't help it if they're not naturally intelligent, but would you not hope that they would grow up to be intelligent and successful?

There's a difference between being disappointed in the child and disappointed that they didn't manage to fulfil all your hopes and dreams.

ziggysego

Quote from: Larry Duff on February 09, 2010, 02:50:54 PM

That's fair enough if that's your honest opinion. I'm just being honest in pointing out things that would make me feel disappointed, but ( as gallsman said) it wouldn't make me love him any less. But too many people would prefer if we all just said the right thing and were never really honest just to make sure no one gets the opportunity to be offended.

That's fair enough too. People feel what they feel, very little I can do about that. It's only when you try to influence others to feel the same, or act out against the said community about your feelings. That's what I'm against.

Just for the second, I'm not for a second accusing you of that :)
Testing Accessibility

ziggysego

Quote from: gallsman on February 09, 2010, 02:52:04 PM
Of course you can't help it if they're not naturally intelligent, but would you not hope that they would grow up to be intelligent and successful?

There's a difference between being disappointed in the child and disappointed that they didn't manage to fulfil all your hopes and dreams.

That's why I said I've been disappointed if they are stupid because they are a waster.
Testing Accessibility

Master Yoda

If my son was gay I'd be raging with the wife. There's no queers in my family.
Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering

gallsman

Quote from: ziggysego on February 09, 2010, 02:54:31 PM

That's why I said I've been disappointed if they are stupid because they are a waster.

But what if they worked hard and tried their very best but were unfortunately just naturally limited? Surely you'd prefer it otherwise, no?

ziggysego

Quote from: gallsman on February 09, 2010, 02:57:29 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on February 09, 2010, 02:54:31 PM

But what if they worked hard and tried their very best but were unfortunately just naturally limited? Surely you'd prefer it otherwise, no?

I'd be disappointed for them, that with all the effort they put in and felt they weren't achieving. I would be proud of the fact that they put in the effort and worked hard. Showed they had determination and will power to try. So they make not have book smarts, but if they applied themselves to something else more suitable to their skills, they would have the potential to do very well.
Testing Accessibility

Larry Duff

Quote from: Master Yoda on February 09, 2010, 02:56:33 PM
If my son was gay I'd be raging with the wife. There's no queers in my family.

Would you be wondering if he was yours or not! :D