Homophobia and racism in Ireland

Started by Olly, February 08, 2010, 10:00:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Quote from: Larry Duff on February 09, 2010, 11:38:38 AM
That's the problem with political correctness we are not only told how we should behave but how we should feel.

That's what's funny about PC. It doesn't realise it is the replica of what it sees itself as replacing. Incorrect thoughts were a sin under the old system as well and the new regime is just as intolerant as what went before.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: EC Unique on February 09, 2010, 11:14:07 AM
If my daughter came home with a coloured man I would be disappointed. If my son came home with another man I would be disappointed.

Does this mean I am racist and homophobic?

Absolutely

SuperMac

Quote from: longrunsthefox on February 09, 2010, 10:12:25 AM
Quote from: Tyrones own on February 08, 2010, 11:14:08 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on February 08, 2010, 11:03:45 PM
The worst racists I've encountered are the Irish and Irish Americans in New York... true right wingers. Horrible shower.

WTF...Please explain....  :o

It's a long story but I was in the Bronx for a few years in the early 90s and the attiude of the Irish and Irish American wannabes towards blacks and other minority gropus was appaling. Where do I start? As a black man told me over there, 'The first word the Irish learn getting off the plane is nigger.' A Jewish man told me the Irish are equal opportunists, they discriiminate against everyone. I was friendly with a few Peurto Ricans and went into an Irish cafe one night and next day the Kerry waitress told me not to bring them in again. When I told this to other Irsih people, most agreed with her. They banned Gays from their St Patrick's Day parade.
I could give dozens of examples. I found it quite an eye opener. Striking up a friendship with a black person was certainly frowned on by the Irish about Fordham Road, Decater Avenue and that area. Irony was they were throwing money into buckets for Irish freedom
I remember reading about when 19 year old Brenadette Devlin ( McAliskey) was in Chicago and was going to give a speech in a cinema been organised by just about every right wing redneck bigot from Ireland and Irish America. Some young black Americans turned up to hear her and the organisers wouldn't let them in. She wouldn't shake hands with Mayor Daly for his mistreatment of Anti Vietnam protestors by the Chicago police and refused to speak until they let them young blacks in. A major row insued, so as a comprise they let in the young blacks but they had to stand at the back. Some woman Bernadette.

SuperMac

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on February 08, 2010, 07:19:14 PM

I found it common place among the Irish backpacking around Australia, maybe that was them hanging around with the Brits too much or living in a colony of the Empire I don't know. It used to make me sick, last Bastille Day in an Australian nightclub in the middle of a group of Irish & Brits slagging off the French I grabbed a French tri-colour from a group of French and proceeded to hoist it up on the roof to cheers from the French. Drunken Irishman in Australia  ;D
Well, when you have ' Irish ' people who follow English soccer like it's the be all and end all of everything, it's not surprising they act like Brits, though it has to be said they don't drop as low as your average assho1e that follows the English national team  - " their ain't no black in the union jack, let's send them back " at black players playing for England, I'd rather be a Packie than a Frog/Kraut/Itie/Diego etc

But that's the Brits for you, they still have that jingoistic sh!te in them, " their's only two races in the world - the British and the rest " etc, etc

Olly

Some people seem to be confusing themselves. If you feel uncomfortable about a gay or black it's because you have been brought up with suspicious morals. It's not your fault as a youngster but as you grow older you should be able to stand back and take stock of your prejudices and work out why.

Of course people choose to be gay or choose to be straight. That choice comes from natural inclinations. You can have homosexual likings but choose to be straight to conform with your community. People choose to be gay because they are gay. I chose to have dinner because I was hungery.
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

Master Yoda

Would be very disappointed if my son grew up to be a queer.
Would be very disappointed if my daughter grew up to be a lesbian.
Would be very disappointed if my daughter married a black guy.
Wouldn't bother me that much if my son married a black girl, as long as she wasn't too black.
Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering

pintsofguinness

If my daughter came home with a coloured man I would be disappointed. If my son came home with another man I would be disappointed.

Depends on your reasons for being "disappointed".
Why exactly would you be disappointed?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

haranguerer

Quote from: Hardy on February 09, 2010, 12:41:41 PM
Quote from: Larry Duff on February 09, 2010, 11:38:38 AM
That's the problem with political correctness we are not only told how we should behave but how we should feel.

That's what's funny about PC. It doesn't realise it is the replica of what it sees itself as replacing. Incorrect thoughts were a sin under the old system as well and the new regime is just as intolerant as what went before.

What bothers me about it is that the majority of people who cry loudest about racism and homophobia are the same f**king halfwits who cant form their own opinions. They dont bother to think for themselves, and so go with the prevailing opinion.

I know that I'm a little bit racist, and a little bit homophobic, and I doubt I've ever met anyone from any race or sex, who isnt. (I'm friendly with a gay lad who quote: 'f**king hates queers' - as in the flamboyant type) but endeavour not to discriminate on the basis of either. I also know my reasons for believing its wrong to be homophobic and racist - these will differ with everyone, for no two people are likely to have the exact same opinion for the exact same reason. However, theres a lot of halfwits who have no idea why its wrong to be either, 'it just is'.

To cover the fact that they're halfwits, they then express this opinion as forcibly as possible, and round swiftly on anyone who dares to challenge their idiocy. Its exactly as Hardy says - were general opinion to change tomorrow, these same idiots would be the most racist people about.

Theres plenty of it apparent on this board too - even in that shopping in the north thread for example: arguments being bandied about were that those from the south should be made shop in the south, so that the money earnt in the south should be kept in circulation in the southern economy.

Well then, to follow that argument through - should Polish workers be forced to spend their money here, and not send it home? Or if they are going to send it home, should an Irish man be employed in preference to foreign workers, in the knowledge that the money he earns will benefit the local economy and not be removed from it? And if not, why not?

mylestheslasher

Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 09, 2010, 01:47:48 PM

And if his son/daughter had any sense she'd tell him he was an ignorant f**ker and have nothing to do with him again - but heh thats just my opinion.

ziggysego

Quote from: Olly on February 09, 2010, 01:20:54 PM
Of course people choose to be gay or choose to be straight. That choice comes from natural inclinations. You can have homosexual likings but choose to be straight to conform with your community. People choose to be gay because they are gay. I chose to have dinner because I was hungery.

You don't choose to be gay, you are gay. Acting upon it is a different matter, but you're still gay.
Testing Accessibility

Rav67

Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 09, 2010, 01:59:08 PM

And if his son/daughter had any sense she'd tell him he was an ignorant f**ker and have nothing to do with him again - but heh thats just my opinion.

My sentiments too.

Especially why the f**k would you care what the colour of someone's skin is?  That's just bigotry pure and simple, and I reject the other idiots who are saying that everyone thinks that way to an extent.  I know I don't.  The irony is some of these dicks would complain about unionist bigotry/intransigence on the board from time to time.

muppet

Quote from: Master Yoda on February 09, 2010, 01:25:14 PM
Wouldn't bother me that much if my son married a black girl, as long as she wasn't too black.

Being disappointed isn't necessarily being racist or bigoted.

I could be disappointed if a family member married a Rossie. It doesn't make me racist.

What would make me racist however, is if I took any action (say for example never speaking to the family member again) because a person was from France, Nigeria or Roscommon or wherever.
MWWSI 2017

haranguerer

Quote from: ziggysego on February 09, 2010, 02:00:50 PM
Quote from: Olly on February 09, 2010, 01:20:54 PM

You don't choose to be gay, you are gay. Acting upon it is a different matter, but you're still gay.

How do you know that? That is one of those points that is the subject of much debate, but because its politically incorrect to say otherwise, its generally stated that it isnt a choice.

Check out the surveys done on lesbianism and you'll see some startling and strong evidence to the contrary.

Larry Duff

Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 09, 2010, 01:59:08 PM

Wise up. If he told his son to f*** off because he was gay then you have a point. But if he's just disappointed but lives with it then he is more tolerant than most of the PC brigade.

Not liking something but learning to deal with it is tolerance. But these days you have to like everyone or you're intolerant or an "ignorant f**ker"

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Master Yoda on February 09, 2010, 01:25:14 PM

Master bigot more like....