Homophobia and racism in Ireland

Started by Olly, February 08, 2010, 10:00:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Tyrones own on February 08, 2010, 11:14:08 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on February 08, 2010, 11:03:45 PM
The worst racists I've encountered are the Irish and Irish Americans in New York... true right wingers. Horrible shower.

WTF...Please explain....  :o

It's a long story but I was in the Bronx for a few years in the early 90s and the attiude of the Irish and Irish American wannabes towards blacks and other minority gropus was appaling. Where do I start? As a black man told me over there, 'The first word the Irish learn getting off the plane is nigger.' A Jewish man told me the Irish are equal opportunists, they discriiminate against everyone. I was friendly with a few Peurto Ricans and went into an Irish cafe one night and next day the Kerry waitress told me not to bring them in again. When I told this to other Irsih people, most agreed with her. They banned Gays from their St Patrick's Day parade.
I could give dozens of examples. I found it quite an eye opener. Striking up a friendship with a black person was certainly frowned on by the Irish about Fordham Road, Decater Avenue and that area. Irony was they were throwing money into buckets for Irish freedom   

EC Unique

If my daughter came home with a coloured man I would be disappointed. If my son came home with another man I would be disappointed.

Does this mean I am racist and homophobic?

haranguerer

Yes, a bit, but everyone is (although they wont admit it even to themselves), so dont beat yourself up about it.

stephenite

Quote from: EC Unique on February 09, 2010, 11:14:07 AM
If my daughter came home with a coloured man I would be disappointed. If my son came home with another man I would be disappointed.

It would depend on the reasons for your disappointment. If your daughter came home with a coloured man who was well educated with a very good job and excellent prospects would that temper your disappointment somewhat?

Olly

Really disappointed with this remark and although its not something I feel cocky about, I think you should reassess who you are.
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

EC Unique

Quote from: Olly on February 09, 2010, 11:21:35 AM

Really disappointed with this remark and although its not something I feel cocky about, I think you should reassess who you are.

Really? Why? I am happy with who I am and how I have been brought up. I would guess that all of my family and friends would feel the same way. Should we all 'reassess'?

haranguerer

Think Hardy was right - you have to be taking the piss

Larry Duff

What a load of balls!  What is wrong with being disappointed if a family member is gay? Am sure most people wouldn't treat that person any differently but if it's how you feel there is nothing you can do about it? That's the problem with political correctness we are not only told how we should behave but how we should feel.

Larry Duff

Quote from: haranguerer on February 09, 2010, 11:32:09 AM

Think Hardy was right - you have to be taking the piss

Just spotted this, have to agree - has to be taking the piss. Found this strange from someone challenging people to change their views on gay people...

Quote from: Olly on February 09, 2010, 09:51:40 AM
I am glad that a lot of people agree with me, and I hope that some day soon gay people will be looked at as just normal people, like as if they have made a choice in life about hairstyle or religion. Perhaps this generation will be the ones who change perceptions and feed that to their children too.

Give this opinion on 'choosing' to be gay to the 4 homosexual men in your office and see what they say  ::)

thebigfella

What if you son came home with a coloured man and you daughter with coloured lesbian? That would really confuse things for you.

EC Unique

Quote from: thebigfella on February 09, 2010, 11:50:09 AM

What if you son came home with a coloured man and you daughter with coloured lesbian? That would really confuse things for you.

Stuff of nightmares :D

Larry Duff

If you had to choose, would you prefer your son to come home with a white man or a black woman? :D

EC Unique

Quote from: Larry Duff on February 09, 2010, 11:54:43 AM

If you had to choose, would you prefer your son to come home with a white man or a black woman? :D

Easy. Black woman. Would still be disappointed but less so.

saffron sam2

Quote from: EC Unique on February 09, 2010, 11:57:27 AM
Quote from: Larry Duff on February 09, 2010, 11:54:43 AM

Easy. Black woman. Would still be disappointed but less so.

I'd be impressed.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Larry Duff

Would agree with you, certainly on the gay point (race or colour won't bother me at all). Think things have gone too far, it's okay gays asking for equal rights and being treated with repect but its got to the point where if you don't declare that you are totally comfortable with homosexuality you are seen as a bigot!