Homophobia and racism in Ireland

Started by Olly, February 08, 2010, 10:00:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longrunsthefox

The worst racists I've encountered are the Irish and Irish Americans in New York... true right wingers. Horrible shower.

Tyrones own

Quote from: longrunsthefox on February 08, 2010, 11:03:45 PM
The worst racists I've encountered are the Irish and Irish Americans in New York... true right wingers. Horrible shower.

WTF...Please explain....  :o
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: stephenite on February 08, 2010, 10:01:25 PM
The French are proving themselves to be mighty intolerant and racist this last few months

What banning burkas, I think they are correct. While the Swiss banning the building of new Mosques is surely far more intolerant.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Zapatista on February 08, 2010, 10:04:03 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on February 08, 2010, 09:15:21 PM
Quote from: Zapatista on February 08, 2010, 09:02:52 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on February 08, 2010, 06:53:37 PM
I hate the Franco phobia that I see in Ireland (long before Thierry Henry & that is not reason enough for it either). The Irish are watching too much British bigotry towards the French on British TV and also American anti-French feeling (just because the French stand up to them and their illegal wars) in American film.

I have a dislike for colonial powers in general.

Like the Ulstermen who colonised and conquered Scotland, or the Leinstermen who occupied the
South Coast of Wales or attempted colonies in the Isle of Man & Anglesey. Or the Scottish (Colonial Gaels) of Irish decent who had failed to conquer the Northumbrian Kingdom. Or much later the Ulster Gaels who tried to sell the High-Kingship to the Bruces and the men of Connacht had to teach them Ireland's not for sale.

I also forgot the Kingdom of Dublin (our Viking ancestors), the Kingdom of Dublin was a Kingdom long before Denmark, Norway or Sweden, the Kingdom of Dublin (which had many mixed Gael & Gall as well as native allies, was not a benevolent power either)

Of course there is the King of Leinster inviting Strongbow into Ireland and giving his daughter and his Kingdom to a Welsh-Norman lord.

Or the servents of the Kingdom of Ireland and later the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland/Northern Ireland who helped colonise the world, we both the loyal and disloyal happy to oblige.

Or the Independent colonisation of Monserette by Irishmen.

Or the Irish that served France, Spain, Portugal, the Papel States, the United States of America, the Confederate States of America, Australia, Mexico, Austria-Hungarian Empire, the Boars, Rhodesia, South Africa etc. in their World Colonisation.

DId it take you long to do that? I didn't read it.

No worries, it didn't take long, was off the top of the head and I'm a quick typer often results in poor spelling. Irish colonialism is as bad as anyone else.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Puckoon

Unfortunately the world is getting worse. Just at a time when the general opinion on homosexuality and racial differences in man is beginning to soften and become more accepting, the general behaviour and attitudes of people towards their fellow man is becomming more grotesque.

People suck.

stew

Quote from: longrunsthefox on February 08, 2010, 11:03:45 PM

What constitutes a 'true right winger' ?

Are all right wingers horrible?

Does this make left wingers, cool, hip and happening dudes?

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

stew

The last time I was home I was shocked at a mate who informed me that he 'hated n******' I was stunned and told hime never to talk like that in front of me again, he told me straight that this was the way he felt and that all n****** were scum, I effed him off and it was at that point he asked me to fight, I was absolutely amazed, in a bar and wasnt going to start anything in there so I left, he followed me out and had the balls to say that we shouldnt be fighting over n******.

I walked away and to be honest I want right for a few days afterwards, it annoyed me so much, I want nothing to do with this ignoramus ever again.

It's not so long ago that I would have been hard on homosexuals, I would have used the usual slang to describe them and I had absolutely no use for them as people at all, it dawned on me that I was as bad as the lad I described above, maybe even worse and I changed and no longer use racist language to describe anyone other than Down people. :P

I do feel there is an over abundance of racism in Ireland, certainly we are not tolerant as at time we canot even tolerate each other and that is just too bad.

Puckoon

Stew, careful with your word proximities there.

stew

Quote from: Puckoon on February 09, 2010, 12:03:18 AM

I used the full n word once and I think it was appropriate given the story I was telling. Thanks puck, I will change my original post.

tyssam5

Quote from: Puckoon on February 08, 2010, 07:14:46 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on February 08, 2010, 06:28:06 PM
I don't have a problem with gay people.  I have a problem if a gay person is outwardly over the top flamboyantly gay and wants everyone to know.  Your business is your business so keep it that way.
I don't have a problem with other races but if a black man takes my spot in the car park I'll still be pissed off and racist thoughts may automatically spring to mind.

My biggest fear is that we become so politically correct that we are not allowed to think for ourselves anymore.

Would you be thinking that he took your spot because he is black, or because inherently - people suck?

Here what about that Greasy Mexican that stole your I-phone!  ;) Have to agree with the Iceman, whether it is soccer, work etc.. if someone of some kind of different ethnicity pisses me off I do think a few racist thoughts about them, but I don't think I really hold any strongly racist opinions.

Olly

I am glad that a lot of people agree with me, and I hope that some day soon gay people will be looked at as just normal people, like as if they have made a choice in life about hairstyle or religion. Perhaps this generation will be the ones who change perceptions and feed that to their children too.
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

saffron sam2

Quote from: stew on February 09, 2010, 12:13:49 AM
Quote from: Puckoon on February 09, 2010, 12:03:18 AM

I used the full n word once and I think it was appropriate given the story I was telling. Thanks puck, I will change my original post.

Stew, you may have missed Puck's point.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

haveaharp

Quote from: Olly on February 09, 2010, 09:51:40 AM
I am glad that a lot of people agree with me, and I hope that some day soon gay people will be looked at as just normal people, like as if they have made a choice in life about hairstyle or religion. Perhaps this generation will be the ones who change perceptions and feed that to their children too.

It will never happen.

Olly

I think you are wrong but maybe thats my opinion. I work in an office with 4 gays out of 25 men. Its not even talked about and on nights out everyone is happy, no one gets uncomfortable or does anyone try to push their sexuality on others. Things are slowly changing/. I know that in rural parts of Ulster old people would almost treat you like a leper. But these people are dying.
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

haveaharp

Quote from: Olly on February 09, 2010, 10:01:08 AM
I think you are wrong but maybe thats my opinion. I work in an office with 4 gays out of 25 men. Its not even talked about and on nights out everyone is happy, no one gets uncomfortable or does anyone try to push their sexuality on others. Things are slowly changing/. I know that in rural parts of Ulster old people would almost treat you like a leper. But these people are dying.

Well they reckon that 1 in every 8 is gay so god only knows. Me personally i fall into the category of get on with what you want when your own curtains are pulled but dont involve me. Live and let live but i dont want to see it.