Derry v Tyrone Sat 6th Feb in Celtic Park

Started by Fuzzman, January 30, 2010, 10:47:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radioulster

Just thought watching it that Mickey should cut the panel to 30 asap. There were a lot of players playing as individulals on Saturday and I would'nt necesscarily blame them as they are under the threat of the chop. We have all played in trials and you tend to look after yourself at these times. If you are in the 30 at least you know you are there. BTW I would not be a big fan of Colm Cavanagh but it was a poor team display and he should be cut a bit of slack it's only february.

Fear ón Srath Bán

There were a number of poor Tyrone performances on Saturday last, but I think it unfair to single anyone, or any number, out on a public forum for lambasting. Some of the criticism has been way over the top. We'd do well to remember that all players are doing their level best, out of their own time, and if they're just not up to it we have an esteemed manager and his assistants in place to make those exact calls.

A little more moderation would not go amiss, you'd swear we were all Peter Canavans sometimes :P
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

up tyrone

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 08, 2010, 10:29:17 PM
There were a number of poor Tyrone performances on Saturday last, but I think it unfair to single anyone, or any number, out on a public forum for lambasting. Some of the criticism has been way over the top. We'd do well to remember that all players are doing their level best, out of their own time, and if they're just not up to it we have an esteemed manager and his assistants in place to make those exact calls.

A little more moderation would not go amiss, you'd swear we were all Peter Canavans sometimes :P
Here here

DirtyDozen12

DD12 Tyrone team views:

1) J Curran;
A lot better than last weeks display in the Mckenna cup final.  Kickouts where a lot better but still a bit suspect under the high ball.  Will be 3rd choice in the summer behind JD & McConnell.

2)M Swift:
Thought the smaller man would have suited him but found Wilkinson hard to handle, looks good going forward but as a corner back, number one priority is to stop your man scoring or keep him relatively quiet, Wilkinson def won this better hands down though 

3) Justin McMahon:
Played rightly Justy I thought, good on the ball but full back line was under the pressure the whole time, didnt seem to be any let up, didnt make / get the opportunity for as many surging runs as he is usually known for.

4) Joe McMahon:
Thought Joe done very well, mr versatility, slot into anywhere on the team, classy on the ball but again full back line was nder right pressure and had to deal with a lot of ball coming in.  Kept Seamus Bradley scoreless who was eventually taking off.

5) D Carlin:
Made some surging runs as usual up front but again like many of the Tyrone defenders more noted for his going forward play than his defensive work on the night which id like to see who do more of as seem him a few times last year for Killyclogher and was impressed by his defensive skills.  Personally I think he should be employed as a man marker by Tyrone as he has great pace.  Corner back maybe and give him a marking job as didnt get the best out of him on the night.

6) C Gormley:
Tyrones best player on the night.  A defender.  Plain and simple, marks his man, gets a hand in, wins the ball and moves it on, stops his man from playing and demotivates the forward.  A rock in the defence, could not have doone any more on the night for the Tyrone cause

7)R McNabb:

Young lad and will be a good player in a few years so would never be too hard on him but thought he looked nervous on the ball at times and gave a few wayward passes.  Couldnt really have any influence on the game.  Year in the county set up will do him no harm as he looks like a keen sort of a boy but probably a year or so too soon for him at this level.

8. A Cassidy:
Patsy Bradley caught the first throw in and then caught the first kick out clean but after that Cassidy got the better of him i thought.  Kicked a point as well as setting up several others scores and drew a few frees, always found a team-mate, only kicked a shot into the keepers arms which is a shot he shouldnt have took on from a standing position.  Amongst Tyrone top 3 performers on the night.

9) K Hughes:

Poor night from Hub, we all know what he is capable of as his performances last year showed how valuable he is to this tyrone team.  A game to forget though, never got a foothold around the middle at all.

10) K Coney:

I like this guy, classy footballer and was impressed particuarly by his work rate in the first half, always showed for the ball, always wants to get pn her (the ball that is).  Kicked a good point.  Faded a bit in the second half and must have tired.  Good passer of the ball and gave some nice deliveries into the FF line.  Think he will make the championship team.

11) B McGuigan:

Quiet game for McGuigans high standards, let mark Lynch kick 2 points in the first half.  Definately played a bit better in the 2nd half and also kept better tabs on Lynch however didnt have the influence that is needed to make Tyrone tick and didnt offer a scoring threat as can be useful for a point or two a game.   

12) E McGinley:
Like Brian McGuigan, had a bit better 2nd half after pretty much an annoymous first half.  Didnt offer as much a presence around the middle as he usually does or is capable of.  Didnt play much Mckenna cup either so must be taken into consideration, cant be easy to chase the Derry half backs who seemed to bomb up the field time and time again.  Will get better and fitter after a few games but Tyrone need him to get invloved more than he did on Saturday night

13) C Cavanagh:
No beating around the bush, poor game and he probably knows it himself.  Just looked frustrated every time the ball came in as he could never seem to get hold of it and exert no infliuence whatsoever in the FF line.  Lot of people slating him but heard that he was outstanding for UUJ at FF during last weeks game with Queens.  Also, must be taken into consideration that he is only back from a bad knee injury and this was basically his first night back in the Tyrone set up.  Unfortunately he will be judged on hos performance as not many supporters take into consideration that he may have already played a game mid week and is only recovering from an injury.  Will have to up his performances though in the county jersey.     

14) M Penrose:

Tevez like as usual from Penrose and has been flying in McKenna cup.  Done rightly but Gerard Okane is different sauce compared to the boys he has been marking this past few weeks.  Was a good battle but Okane coae out on top. 

15) T McGuigan

Kicked some nice scores and was showing out in front in the first half however starved of possession and had a quiet enough second half.  5 points is not a bad return though. 

Not rating the subs as didnt think they where on long wnough to make any real sort of impact  :P

Overall, Tyrone overrun by a far hungrier Derry side.  Tyrone need to defend better in my opinion.  it looks well everyone bombing forward but forwards have to be marked and stopped which is something Tyrone lack, natural defenders.  Conor Gormely is a natural defender.  Conceded 1-18, concede that every game and you'll not win to many.

Anyway just my opinion, not my style to slate players who give their time and effort for the jersey but just calling it as i saw it.  Feel free to slate my opnions  ;D
Beer, now there's a temporary solution!!!

trileacman

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 08, 2010, 10:29:17 PM

The points about CC are being directed in the wrong direction though, I think he's getting screwed over by Harte. I mean this is one of many occasions that CC has been tried and failed in the corner and there's alot frustration with that. The lad probably shouldn't be getting the abuse he is though. Come Mickey FFS at least give the cub a chance. Men like Colm will never work in the corner. He's someone who played his career in the spine of the team and he deserves a chance there.  He is probably too cumbersome to play at FF and won't displace the likes of O'Neill or Sean so he should get a fair crack at centre-half, wing forward or midfield IMO.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

amigo

I believe that given time Big Colm will prove alot of you boys very wrong. I think that he will be a very influential player for Tyrone for many years to come. He may not have brought his club and college standards to county games yet, but as far as i know he is only coming back from an operation. Give the lad a chance boys !!!!

POG39

I was at Celtic Park with some mates of mine from Lavey (I'm a Cavan man meself), and I thought Cavanagh showed plenty of potential, loses his concentration a bit but was sharp for the goal. Derry did very well, but if Tyrone hadn't dropped so many balls into Gillis the game would have been completely different, the score flattered Derry a little.
Still think they'll have too much for Dublin, Lynch is a beast at centre back, and James Kielt (and not Jason as the commentator called him at one stage) looks a real star, as does his brother.

Tyrone have plenty more to come, they'll beat Mayo, and McGuigan and Penrose inside will trouble every fullback line in the country.

Watched the repeat on Setanta last night and Jaysis, McEneaney was fierce lenient at times...didn't realise it at the time but 3 or 4 of them could have walked, defo would have if it had been some softie ref from the South. Gormley was really looking for it and Eoin Bradley was mad lucky as well.

On the Setanta coverage, the regular getting players names wrong aside (a major part of the commentary I admit), I actually thought the commentary was quite good, yer man was far better than some others I've heard on RTE or Setanta in the past, I often have to mute the feckin tv just to keep watchin!

Anyway, the result of the weekend was Cavan's thrashin of the Rossies, Jaysis any team that concedes 2-20 to Cavan must be some seriously bad side. Don't know where it came from, saw them torn to shreds by Tyrone in the McKenna, so it was a welcome surprise!!!

wherefromreferee?

4 players have received bans following this game.  Apart from the McMahon one, the other 3 cant really have any complaints.

Conor Gormley
Martin Penrose
Joe McMahon (Justin - not sure?)
Eoin Bradley
In your Endo!

orangeman

Quote from: wherefromreferee? on February 12, 2010, 12:27:51 PM
4 players have received bans following this game.  Apart from the McMahon one, the other 3 cant really have any complaints.

Conor Gormley
Martin Penrose
Eoin Bradley

Serious ?.

whiskeysteve

Conor Gormley
Martin Penrose
Eoin Bradley

what did penrose do?

will be very interesting to see how consistently video evidence is acted on through the season. Not a fan of it i must say
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Fr. Cyril McDuff

Quote from: whiskeysteve on February 12, 2010, 12:54:26 PM

Conor Gormley
Martin Penrose
Eoin Bradley

what did penrose do?

will be very interesting to see how consistently video evidence is acted on through the season. Not a fan of it i must say

He gave Declan Mullan a bit of a slap in the last minute or so down at the Tyrone end after trying to get a tackle in. Not much in it, bit silly.

ziggysego

Quote from: BBC Sports - the north on February 12, 2010, 01:11:11 PM
All four players were yellow carded but referee Pat McEnaney is understood to have said that the offences warranted red cards after viewing the match tape.

I maybe wrong here, but I thought if they ref dealt with something on the pitch, that's the end of the matter. Only goes to the CCC if the ref missed an incident.
Testing Accessibility

ziggysego

Quote from: Thastheball on February 12, 2010, 01:17:58 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on February 12, 2010, 01:13:46 PM
Quote from: BBC Sports - the north on February 12, 2010, 01:11:11 PM
All four players were yellow carded but referee Pat McEnaney is understood to have said that the offences warranted red cards after viewing the match tape.

I maybe wrong here, but I thought if they ref dealt with something on the pitch, that's the end of the matter. Only goes to the CCC if the ref missed an incident.

you are right, you r wrong :D

Ah well  :'(
Testing Accessibility

RedBolts