Derry v Tyrone Sat 6th Feb in Celtic Park

Started by Fuzzman, January 30, 2010, 10:47:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeoMc

Quote from: sandwiches_in_the_boot on February 03, 2010, 11:08:48 AM
Any word on when the final NL squad is being announced?

I think it has been sai on here before that the panel is due to be cut from 47 down to 32 (!) for the 2nd match on 14th Feb.
A valentines day massacre if you like.

omagh_gael

Quote from: LeoMc on February 03, 2010, 01:29:32 PM
Quote from: sandwiches_in_the_boot on February 03, 2010, 11:08:48 AM
Any word on when the final NL squad is being announced?

I think it has been sai on here before that the panel is due to be cut from 47 down to 32 (!) for the 2nd match on 14th Feb.
A valentines day massacre if you like.

I think it's not going to be cut until the three week gap between the 2nd and 3rd game, think I recall Mickey Harte mentioning that in an interview

sandwiches_in_the_boot

MH still has to pick a squad for Saturday. Surely this will give an indication as to who's in and out?

Or is he keeping the trial squad until the break mentioned?
"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
H. L. Mencken

cadhlancian

Agree about Gormleys reading and distribution, but he hasn't really been playing CB the last 2 seasons, and i wouldnt want to see him in a man marking role again this year! ;)

Fuzzman

I must say I've changed  my mind a lot about Block.
Like a few of the players there is no doubt he has lost some pace and I think other teams have exploited this.

He's no longer able to go toe to toe with the best forwards in Ireland on his own but then again who is if they get the right ball into them. Players like SoN, Gooch, Paddy Bradley etc are all pretty unmarkable if they are played in space with good ball into them.

Saying that he is still a formidable defender and wasn't shown up too much last year except for the last 5 minutes v Ronan Clarke and the other time that comes into my head is Conor Mortimer was giving him a tough enough day in 2008 in Croker.
Gooch had the beating of him in 2008 final but then the ball into him was cut out a lot more and so Gormley looked to have snuffed him out.

Can anyone else think of any games where his man did a lot of damage? I can't.
I think Harte plays the percentage game a lot and so the defense kinda play as a unit and not as one on ones.
Interesting how they approached the Derry game last year in Casement putting two men on Paddy and letting Eoin do what he wanted.

I have a feeling Harte will want a year like 2003 where we go out to bust a gut to win everything and will be pissed off he lost that game last Sat. Especially as they had it won & took their foot of the gas.

Tyrone by 4 me thinks though I think gaining possession in MF will prove another struggle with lots of marks.

omagh_gael

Back page of todays Irish News again questions whether there is an on-going rift between Mickey Harte and Sean Cavanagh...they never give up!

Anyone any idea on how Cavanaghs injury is coming along or when he'll be back?

Final Whistle

orangeman

Quote from: omagh_gael on February 04, 2010, 12:16:29 PM
Back page of todays Irish News again questions whether there is an on-going rift between Mickey Harte and Sean Cavanagh...they never give up!

Anyone any idea on how Cavanaghs injury is coming along or when he'll be back?

It is getting boring at this stage.

I see Mickey Harte wants to play the Dublin match in Croke Park if possible. 

Carmen Stateside

Quote from: sandwiches_in_the_boot on February 03, 2010, 02:49:18 PM
MH still has to pick a squad for Saturday. Surely this will give an indication as to who's in and out?

Or is he keeping the trial squad until the break mentioned?

http://www.hoganstand.com/Tyrone/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=123139Harte delays trimming panel
29 January 2010

Mickey Harte has postponed cutting his panel until the after the first two rounds of the National League.

The Tyrone manager admitted earlier this week that he has some tough calls to make regarding who to leave in and who to leave out of his National League squad. The task of trimming the panel has been made all the more difficult for the Tyrone manager by some sparkling displays by his McKenna Cup rookies.

But he has decided to delay reducing his squad, which means the new faces will have another five weeks to catch the manager's eye.

"It's probably so difficult that I dare say we won't be able to pick our league panel for the start of the league," he said.

"We'll probably play the first two games based around the squad that we have, and sees who's come back from injury. Then there's a three-week break, and we'll probably have to go and use that three-week break to try and fine-tune the panel for the remainder of the league.

"You think you're getting somewhere, and then you're not getting anywhere, because people are not so good maybe one night, and they excel the next night."

sandwiches_in_the_boot

Good news for some lads, there's a few that'll hopefully get another chance or two to prove themselves.
"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
H. L. Mencken

gerry

No harm mickey i rather travel the 30 minutes to omagh than the 2 hours to see us play dublin in a quarter filled croker. Suppose we have a better chance of beating them in croker than omagh.

Will we have a battle of omagh2 this year. 
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

ziggysego

Tír Eoghain v Doire - J Curran, M Swift, Justin McMahon, Joe McMahon, D Carlin, C Gormley, R McNabb, A Cassidy, K Hughes, K Coney, Brian McGuigan, E McGinley, Colm Cavanagh, M Penrose, T McGuigan Subs PMcConnell, G Devlin, M Donnelly, N Gormley, DHarte, J McAnulla, E McCusker, C McGurk, N McKenna, R McMenamin, M Murphy, Sean O'Neill, G Teague
Testing Accessibility

Rois

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility