Derry v Tyrone Sat 6th Feb in Celtic Park

Started by Fuzzman, January 30, 2010, 10:47:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynchbhoy

Glad for SON that it was only an elbow inj - sure he would tell us that its fecking sore, but a far better inj that a knee re-occurance or a shoulder inj - I thought it might have been either of those until a well informed Tyronie texted me whatthe problem actually was.
If anyone deserves a bit of luck with inj its SON !

Tyrones young guns will be able to score, Derry still wondering and testing things yet so no one knows what Cassidy will put out v Tyrone.

I had thought I was going to the game, but looks like I have other plans now unfortunately. Next game hopefully.

LeoMc

Can't believe this got bumped off the first page.
Not sure why our Derry neighbours are so pessimistic. Tyrone were fairly toothless without O'Neill and I can't remeember the last time we took 2 points out of Derry.

omagh_gael

It has been unusually quiet for this particular fixture, I wonder if there'll be a ballgate scandal this year to get a good slagging match going for a lock of weeks!

Back to footballing maters...anyone have an idea on the starting 15? I wonder if Mickey will throw any of the the young guns into the action. From my limited spectating this year, due to work, it seems that Coney, Pete Harte and Mc Nabb will be the 1st to make the starting line up. If I was to send out a team now it'd be along the lines of this...

P Mc Connell (is he available yet?)
Swift
Justy
P Mc Gurk
S O Neill
Gormley
Mc Nabb
Mc Ginley
Cassidy
Harte
B Mc Guigan
Joey
Coney
T Mc Guigan
Penrose

As usual the forwards will be very fluid and at midfield Hub will likely to be squeezed in somewhere. Team likely to be massively different to the above due to the amount of options available, thursdays team announcement will be interesting!

cadhlancian

from what Ive seen over this season so far, and going back to last year, I really believe that Connor Gormley has lost a considerable amount of any pace that he actually had. Maybe its time to blood someone in a similar type role, or do you think, he still commands an automatic spot? I don't :o

whiskeysteve

Thought Gormley looked very ropey at times in the game v donegal but then some of the things hub does can be even worse. They are the sort of players who start out a bit off the pace IMO but once they get going through the season start to become v influential in terms of their tackling, physicality, etc. As opposed to players like penrose, etc who are sharper and more technically proficient year round. Reckon he will gradually assert himself for a championship spot (unless newcomers and previous fringe panellists are v impressive)

I wouldnt be surprised to see less Derry interest than usual in this game. There must be an element of apathy (w/ mckenna and league) after the league form of the past 2 years counting for little come championship. Derry supporters would be very slow to get carried away with any kind of a result.

Hoping for good performances in the half forward line and full back line from new and returning players like Declan Mullan and Mick McGoldrick. One advantage we have this time around is the mark with fergal, patsy and diver to take advantage of it.

Possible team to have a look at off the top of my head with a lot of the younger players included (pure shot in the dark btw, only meant as a talking point)

John Deighan

Mick McGoldrick
Gavin McLaughlin
Dermot McBride

Brian Og McAlary
Mark Lynch
Gerard O'Kane

2 of Patsy, Fergal, Diver

Declan Mullan
James Kielt
Sergeant Wilko

Skinner
Caolan O'Boyle
Seamus Bradley

With skinner or o'boyle dropping out to half forward with Kielt. Mullan and Wilko up and down the flanks
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

omagh_gael

While Gormley has definately lost some of his pace I still think he's invaluable to the defence. He's a very intelligent footballer and will always provide a steadying influence and a reliable pair of hands and is many poor performances away from losing his CB spot.

cadhlancian

Omagh Gael, I know what you are saying, but he rarely plays CB nowadays, and is nearly always designated to man mark the opposing teams best player??? ???. Maybe he needs to revert back to CB, where possibly pace mightn;t be such an issue

Oakleafer1993

Quote from: whiskeysteve on February 02, 2010, 07:23:45 PM

John Deighan

Marty Dunne is the new apprentice - Deighan has been sacked!
You heard it here first.

supersarsfields

Quote from: cadhlancian on February 02, 2010, 09:23:33 PM
Omagh Gael, I know what you are saying, but he rarely plays CB nowadays, and is nearly always designated to man mark the opposing teams best player??? ???. Maybe he needs to revert back to CB, where possibly pace mightn;t be such an issue

I would imagine Justy will take up this role more and more this year with Gormley going back to his proper position of CHB. He can read a game better than anyone else in that defence. And at CHB his pace won't be exposed as often.

Zapatista

Quote from: supersarsfields on February 03, 2010, 09:43:56 AM

I would imagine Justy will take up this role more and more this year with Gormley going back to his proper position of CHB. He can read a game better than anyone else in that defence. And at CHB his pace won't be exposed as often.

In Hartes book he claims that the game got too fast for Horse Devlin at CHB as reason for him not keeping his place.

supersarsfields

Quote from: Zapatista on February 03, 2010, 09:53:07 AM
Quote from: supersarsfields on February 03, 2010, 09:43:56 AM

In Hartes book he claims that the game got too fast for Horse Devlin at CHB as reason for him not keeping his place.

But Horse got really slow. I don't think Gormley has slowed down that badly. But true enough, Horse's reading of a game was his best attribute as I think it is with Gormley so ya may have a point.

Zapatista

Quote from: supersarsfields on February 03, 2010, 10:31:16 AM

But Horse got really slow. I don't think Gormley has slowed down that badly. But true enough, Horse's reading of a game was his best attribute as I think it is with Gormley so ya may have a point.

For the record I think Gormley still cuts the mustard.

whiskeysteve

Quote from: Sonny Joe on February 03, 2010, 10:21:38 AM
you weren't at any of the Mc Kenna cup games. Mc Laughlin was very poor in the Queens game and I would be very worried if he played . He does not look up to the standard for me. Also Charlie Kielt was very good in the last two games I seen. Against Down I thought he was one of our better players. I also thought Mc Cartney has earned a start after his second half against Down. IO'Boyle has been playing midfield with 'the Poly' When is the team announced

as i said it was a shot in the dark selection off the top of my head before posters got critical on it, take it easy. i don't mind any of those players you mentioned getting game time, as they all have something to offer.

that last point about o'boyle, he is comfortable in the forward line and would more likely be used as a forward this year regardless of where the poly have been playing him.
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

sandwiches_in_the_boot

Any word on when the final NL squad is being announced?
"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
H. L. Mencken

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Zapatista on February 03, 2010, 10:45:59 AM
Quote from: supersarsfields on February 03, 2010, 10:31:16 AM

For the record I think Gormley still cuts the mustard.

Agreed Zap, without a shadow of a doubt. But for a few episodes of wayward distribution on Saturday last his reading of the game and positioning were top drawer, as usual.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...