Sky+ HD

Started by mournerambler, January 20, 2010, 11:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

Quote from: eastern_gael on September 30, 2010, 02:03:15 PM
Looks like HD will be made redundant in the not too distant future. Sky due to bring out their 3D tv in the coming months!!

You think? Most (if not all) new TV's are HD these days, so it won't be long before a critical mass is reached where it won't make sense not to make programmes in HD. 3D, on the other hand . . . doesn't it require those glasses? It's enough of a pain trying to find the remote without now having to find a piece of card that is a perfect fit with the side of the sofa

eastern_gael

Im sure eventually all tvs will be 3D ready and then it will be something else, holographic tv!
I will just stick to me black and white and wireless thank you very much

ziggysego

Quote from: eastern_gael on September 30, 2010, 02:57:25 PM
Im sure eventually all tvs will be 3D ready and then it will be something else, holographic tv!

As part of Japan bid for the 2022 FIFA World Cup, they will show all games will be shown holographically in each of the nations taking part.

Too soon for holographic TVs, but they will be able to display the games on soccer pitches, as if they are watching the game live.
Testing Accessibility

nrico2006

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on September 29, 2010, 05:59:14 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on September 29, 2010, 04:23:51 PM
ITV HD is available in the north, you just have to tune the frequency in yourself.  Problem is that you can only watch the channel in real time and also you cannot record or view the listings for whats on currently or whats on next.  Scotland, Northern Ireland and Channel Islands can not receive ITV1 HD  because the regional broadcaster decided not to take up ITV's HD offering.

As for quality of Sky HD, there is some difference in the quality but this is dependent on your TV.  I have saw Sky HD on a normal 42 Inch HD Ready Plasma (720) and the quality is nothing special, whereas on my 42 Inch Full HD Plasma (1080p) the quality is unreal.

What make & model is your Full HD? Probably down to an excellent upscaler.

Anyone know how to get ITV HD on FreeSat?

I have a Panasonic 42S10.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: nrico2006 on October 04, 2010, 01:56:58 PM
ITV HD is available in the north, you just have to tune the frequency in yourself.  Problem is that you can only watch the channel in real time and also you cannot record or view the listings for whats on currently or whats on next.  Scotland, Northern Ireland and Channel Islands can not receive ITV1 HD  because the regional broadcaster decided not to take up ITV's HD offering.

As for quality of Sky HD, there is some difference in the quality but this is dependent on your TV.  I have saw Sky HD on a normal 42 Inch HD Ready Plasma (720) and the quality is nothing special, whereas on my 42 Inch Full HD Plasma (1080p) the quality is unreal.

Had a look at them last year and they are quite a good telly alright, this years models have improved significantly however
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

nrico2006

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on October 04, 2010, 02:22:01 PM

Had a look at them last year and they are quite a good telly alright, this years models have improved significantly however

What improvements are there on this years one?  Hard job picking a good one, especially when you know that there will be new super dooper ones out within a few months.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Main Street

It's simple
Either you buy this year's  (Panasonic, etc) model or you keep waiting for the next year's (Panasonic etc) model.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: nrico2006 on October 04, 2010, 04:33:51 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on October 04, 2010, 02:22:01 PM

What improvements are there on this years one?  Hard job picking a good one, especially when you know that there will be new super dooper ones out within a few months.

Bit of light reading here http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/panasonic-tx-p50s20b-tx-p42s20b-20100511647.htm
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

imtommygunn

Has anyone got sky+ hd coming from a single satellite feed? (communal dish so can only get one input)

I take it it's easy to do and does the job alright?

Big Puff

Does anyone know what channel ITV1 hd is?

mournerambler

Don't think ITV1 is available on HD yet.

All of a Sludden

Quote from: mournerambler on February 09, 2011, 08:47:09 PM

You can add it via services and add channels.

H
2/3
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

ziggysego

Quote from: All of a Sludden on February 09, 2011, 08:59:27 PM

H
2/3

ITV HD isn't listed for me.
Testing Accessibility

All of a Sludden

Quote from: ziggysego on February 16, 2011, 08:10:55 PM
Quote from: All of a Sludden on February 09, 2011, 08:59:27 PM

H
2/3

ITV HD isn't listed for me.

The Arsenal game is on ITV HD at the minute
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

john mcgill

Just cancelled my Sky subscription and it was difficult.  The Sky person wanted to interrogate me as to why I was giving up.  (It costs too much and I am going to freesat).  I didn't tell him and said that I just wanted to cancel.  At one stage he put the phone down on me, I can only suppose because of my reluctance to be quizzed.  He called me back and then proceeded to facilitate my request.  I found Sky's attitude bordering on aggressive and rude.