Sky+ HD

Started by mournerambler, January 20, 2010, 11:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimStynes

I can notice a difference in the football games when they are HD but i dont think i would be willing to pay 120 quid a year for SkyHD

JimStynes

Quote from: ziggysego on January 21, 2010, 12:03:05 AM
Quote from: Archie Mitchell on January 20, 2010, 11:41:39 PM
Quote from: mournerambler on January 20, 2010, 11:36:17 PM
Jasus Archie give me a bit of cred  ;D
Yeah i'm watching the HD channels.

Sorry, but you never know and have to ask these questions. Not sure then. Unless you ring them and say your not happy and get someone out to have a look at it.

Quote from: JimStynes on January 20, 2010, 11:37:54 PM
The aul fella is going to cancel sky and get freesat in with the new tv hes getting. Is there any free hd channels on free sat? I got myself a new 32 inch tv and the difference with the playstation and watching dvds is unreal.

Jim, I think BBC, ITV, CH4 are HD channels through freesat.

Just the BBC. HD is only available through ITV London, but I've yet to get it to work. Channel 4 HD isn't available via Freesat.

How many channels do you get with the freesat. ripping my da is getting rid of sky but i can hardly get near the main tv to get the use out of sky anyway.

mc_grens

Don't think I would buy this. I have a Blu Ray player and would be a HD advocate, but only for the right content.

e.g. One day Transformers was on sky movies. I flicked back and forward between the Blu Ray and the Sky Movies version at the part where a load of robots are fighting on the streets of Mission City at the end. On the sky one I could barely tell one robot from the other bar the coloured bits. On the Blu Ray one I could.

I've been very careful about what I've bought in Blu Ray. Dark Knight, Star Trek, District 9, etc. But I would never buy The Godfather or something like that because I would get little benefit Over DVD.

I look at sky HD in the same way... All I really watch on TV is the odd show that I get hooked on (the wire) or sport. So I don't see the need for it.

nrico2006

Quote from: mournerambler on January 20, 2010, 11:31:58 PM
I've asked numerous friends if they have it & have yet to find someone who has, starting to feel like i've been screwed  :(

Same here.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

balladmaker

I'll upgrade to HD when Sky decide to give it away for free, £10 a month is a rip off with very little improvement to the naked eye.  Yes, it is better, but only slightly to the eye.  I see they are advertising their election night coverage is in HD....a real sales booster, not.

Blu-ray DVD's will do me fine for now.

ziggysego

Quote from: balladmaker on April 27, 2010, 12:30:31 PM
I'll upgrade to HD when Sky decide to give it away for free, £10 a month is a rip off with very little improvement to the naked eye.  Yes, it is better, but only slightly to the eye.  I see they are advertising their election night coverage is in HD....a real sales booster, not.

Blu-ray DVD's will do me fine for now.

Discovery HD and History HD are some of the channels which you can see the benefit of HD. The BBC don't broadcast in full HD and I presume ITVis the same.
Testing Accessibility

Main Street

Quote from: mournerambler on January 20, 2010, 11:26:39 PM
Sony 50" LCD rear projector, don't get me wrong Archie it is a better quality but not what I was expecting for a tenner a month.
From what I remember the ordinary quality is not great with this tv so you should notice a big enough difference with HD.
Either you are not impressed with the difference or you are not seeing the best it can be - your HD feed is not good quality or possibly your tv is not set up properly re your picture settings.

Personally couldn't be bothered with HD yet.

DickyRock

Got it installed yesterday and notice a good boost in quality of SD broadcast. Level of detail is v good on HD. Never watched blue ray so can't compare it to that.

I was toying with the idea of getting it a few months back but didn't think it warranted the 120 a year so put it to the back of my head. Then though and behold Sky phone me out of the blue and offered  free box with free installation as well as a free HD subscription for 12mths. So I'd have to say that I'm v happy with it for what it cost. :-D

The Iceman

If you are going to buy a Blu-Ray you may as well buy a PS3
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Tony Baloney

Quote from: The Iceman on April 27, 2010, 08:44:18 PM
Iceman is there much noise from the cooling fan? I remember watching Dvds years ago on the PS2 and the fan was seriously noisy.

Minder

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 27, 2010, 09:06:15 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on April 27, 2010, 08:44:18 PM
Iceman is there much noise from the cooling fan? I remember watching Dvds years ago on the PS2 and the fan was seriously noisy.

No.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Bensars

also the ps3 will allow you to stream movies etc  wirelessly from your computer

Minder

Quote from: Bensars on April 27, 2010, 09:18:47 PM

Mr Baloney is unable to avail of broadband in any form  ;D
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Minder on April 27, 2010, 09:24:56 PM
Quote from: Bensars on April 27, 2010, 09:18:47 PM

Mr Baloney is unable to avail of broadband in any form  ;D
Screw you. I can get all the broadband access I need at your house!

At least if I had it I'd actually download stuff with it. Unlike you ;)