Ungrateful FAI Delaney

Started by longrunsthefox, January 16, 2010, 04:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heffo

Quote from: T Fearon on January 27, 2010, 09:27:05 AM
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/kerry-gaa-star-paul-galvin-hit-pupil-with-duster-14653330.html

Now, I'll bet you wouldn't see Robbie Keane or Richard Dunne carrying on like that. >:(

You sure wouldn't, but you may well see two high profile soccer internationals snub Paul McGrath and his guest (sponsor) in the players lounge after a game - even when McGrath allegedly asked the duo to come over and say a word..

T Fearon

Years ago there was a more level playing field. I watched Dundalk come within the width of a goal post of beating Celtic 1-0 at Oriel Park back in 1979, a result that would have taken them into the quarter finals of the European Cup (now the Champions League), and believe it or not Linfield/IFA did reach the quarter finals of the European Cup in 1967 (the year Celtic won it) and were only beaten by a goal.

I think there is also the question of how far the FAI'S (or any Governing Body's )influence extends. Like the top four in England are good currently primarily because of foreign money, not as a result of any great plan by the English FA.

In the core areas of soccer promotion (in the midst of decades of hostility in that part of Ireland under its jurisdiction), improvement of facilities,and production of an international side that was cheated out of a World Cup Finals place, the FAI ticks most of the boxes

mountainboii

Quote from: Billys Boots on January 27, 2010, 09:24:48 AM
Quote from: AFS on January 26, 2010, 05:14:14 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on January 26, 2010, 09:57:24 AM
I would have thought that soccer in Ireland is on a par with other European countries outside the five mega-leagues in England, Spain, France, Italy and Germany.  In the European competitions, the Eircom League teams appear to compete favourably with sides from the other leagues, regularly. 

I don't argue with the contention that FAI management could be better, or that the Aviva gamble has gone spectacularly wrong, but there is a following and a large playing contingent in Irish soccer.  They just don't (at present) choose to watch Eircom League soccer in comparable numbers to the GAA inter-county competitions.

LOI is the 30th best league in Europe according to UEFA. Irish League is joint 47th with the Faroese League.

Yes, and accordingly UEFA rank the top English side, in the history of competitions since the late 1950s as, yes you've guessed it, Leeds Utd.

Hmmm, that bit seems more like some clever stats manipulation by a devious Leeds fan than anything to do with UEFA.

RogerMilla

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on January 27, 2010, 08:42:24 AM
Great players like John Giles, Roy Keane, Paul McGrath were produced by playing the game in their local streets and parks. I'd be surprised if they ever had any sort of interaction with any arm of the FAI until they were in their late teens and already on the road to greatness.

cant agree with that at all , if you had read any of their books you would know that played all the way up at underage levels in soccer ( and also in gaelic football)

dublinfella

Great players like John Giles, Roy Keane, Paul McGrath were produced by playing the game in their local streets and parks. I'd be surprised if they ever had any sort of interaction with any arm of the FAI until they were in their late teens and already on the road to greatness.

All three were underage internationals. All three played schoolboy football. Keane and McGrath played in the LoI before moving to England (as did Giles at the end of his career).

To say English scouts spotted them playing in the streets is patronising in the extreme to the soccer people who helped them on their way. To say none recieved any coaching here is ludicrious. Bad form actually. 

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on January 27, 2010, 08:42:24 AMTo laud the FAI for producing great players is stretching a bit.

But they deserve credit for creating the leagues and coaching structures that allowed their talent to be spotted and flourish before they moved abroad for more money. Look at the Irish squad now. A large number of the younger players in or near the panel started out in the LoI and moved on transfers in their late teens and early twenties, wheras before they moved aged 15. Doyle, Long, Hunt, Hoolihan, Ward, Delaney, Fahey, Gamble, Mooney, Meyler, Coleman etc and McGiinn and McCourt for the 6 counties. All produced at home and moved on later. That change in how talent progresses in in everyones interest and is to the credit of the FAI.

People are writing off the FAI as incompetent at their peril.

Billys Boots

Quote from: AFS on January 27, 2010, 09:48:25 AM
Quote from: Billys Boots on January 27, 2010, 09:24:48 AM
Quote from: AFS on January 26, 2010, 05:14:14 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on January 26, 2010, 09:57:24 AM
I would have thought that soccer in Ireland is on a par with other European countries outside the five mega-leagues in England, Spain, France, Italy and Germany.  In the European competitions, the Eircom League teams appear to compete favourably with sides from the other leagues, regularly. 

I don't argue with the contention that FAI management could be better, or that the Aviva gamble has gone spectacularly wrong, but there is a following and a large playing contingent in Irish soccer.  They just don't (at present) choose to watch Eircom League soccer in comparable numbers to the GAA inter-county competitions.

LOI is the 30th best league in Europe according to UEFA. Irish League is joint 47th with the Faroese League.

Yes, and accordingly UEFA rank the top English side, in the history of competitions since the late 1950s as, yes you've guessed it, Leeds Utd.

Hmmm, that bit seems more like some clever stats manipulation by a devious Leeds fan than anything to do with UEFA.

Check the website you gave me!!  ;D
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Main Street

Quote from: dublinfella on January 27, 2010, 11:41:47 AM
This has gotten serious now.
Peril!
grave peril?

dublinfella

Quote from: Main Street on January 27, 2010, 03:27:33 PM

This has gotten serious now.
Peril!
grave peril?

The gravest...  ;D

You have said it yourself. Certain GAA folk simply dismiss the FAI as chancers etc with no basis in reality. Didn't that CSO report say they have more players than hurlers and footballers combined? If people want to simply dismiss them as irrelevant, more players will be lost in areas soccer has never had a presence in before. It actually suits them that the rank and file GAA think they are a joke.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: RogerMilla on January 27, 2010, 11:10:49 AM

cant agree with that at all , if you had read any of their books you would know that played all the way up at underage levels in soccer ( and also in gaelic football)
I've no doubt there were and are many grassroots volunteers helping run teams
But how much coaching did these players receive from FAI coaches during their formative years?
How much did their coaches get coached and what are we supposed to give FAI credit for?

If Irish players are getting properly coached, then why have Irish players much less technical ability than their continental counterparts?

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: dublinfella on January 27, 2010, 11:41:47 AM
Certainly not incompetent, but generally irrelevant to the health of soccer in Ireland.

If the central FAI ceased to exist, soccer would still remain the number one participation sport in Ireland for the foreseeable future. Because the game is marketed from abroad, with the Premiership being the biggest show in town in Ireland.

Just like the exploits of Jack Charlton's team caused the explosion of life at local level. It was what was beamed into people's living rooms that sold them.
Could you point out one FAI strategy, initiative or policy (apart from appointing Jack) that caused this upsurge?

Rossfan

Soccer is like golf ...many play at it as a social thing ...few play it well.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

dublinfella

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on January 27, 2010, 07:18:37 PM

I've no doubt there were and are many grassroots volunteers helping run teams
But how much coaching did these players receive from FAI coaches during their formative years?
How much did their coaches get coached and what are we supposed to give FAI credit for?

Could the exact same not be said about the GAA in that case?

dublinfella

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on January 27, 2010, 07:38:08 PM

Certainly not incompetent, but generally irrelevant to the health of soccer in Ireland.

I think thats a very naive way of looking at it.

If the central FAI ceased to exist, soccer would still remain the number one participation sport in Ireland for the foreseeable future. Because the game is marketed from abroad, with the Premiership being the biggest show in town in Ireland.

People would still watch soccer. But the FAI are far better able to run leagues and finish them on time than the GAA, which is one of the reasons people play soccer.

Just like the exploits of Jack Charlton's team caused the explosion of life at local level. It was what was beamed into people's living rooms that sold them.
Could you point out one FAI strategy, initiative or policy (apart from appointing Jack) that caused this upsurge?

Did I not read something that the GAA are copying the FAI's grassroots model? Don't they have some dutch lad who played for Holland in that 70's with Cruff doing their strategy?

Big Dave the Wave

Surely people have read the Indo article on the number of GAA clubs [6] as compared to Soccer clubs[22]  in Mullingar and Athlone....
maybe that is only 2 towns, sure - but I reckon it is the same story elsewhere.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/westmeath-board-to-tackle-athlone-numbers-game-2047356.html

I get a bit cheesed off with self appointed spokesmen for the GAA people calling FAI incompetent....The fact is that we DO have to get our own house in order, and that is going to be a big job. So

Big Dave the Wave

Quote from: magickingdom on January 25, 2010, 07:54:26 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on January 25, 2010, 07:23:56 PM
Indiana what exactly is your beef with the FAI and how really are they any better or worse than the gaa?

get real tony, the gaa are miles ahead of them with facilities in most towns in ireland. there is a serious lack of brains in the fai and look no further then the league of ireland if you doubt that

There is also a very big debt problem associate with quite a few of those facilities!!! Portlaoise, Mullinahoran Louth County Board - need I go on.
There is too much of an obsession on Bricks and Mortar in the GAA - face facts!