Ungrateful FAI Delaney

Started by longrunsthefox, January 16, 2010, 04:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longrunsthefox

As it took you nine minutes to answer, I suspect you may have googled that answer. I was going to suggest you used phone a friend but that's unlikely  ;)   (just kiddin Tony)

INDIANA

Quote from: T Fearon on January 25, 2010, 06:42:22 PM
How many GAA managers are paid by outside benefactors?

Also Brady, Keane and Mc Grath came to the attention of English clubs via the FAI's underage structures.

Why can so many on this thread not stand soccer? Do you hate great Gaels and All Ireland winners and finalists like Niall Quinn and Kevin Moran, who were happy to play for the FAI for years.

I have travelled to watch the Irish soccer team abroad many many times. I was in Paris in November. I however have no time for the organisation that represents soccer in this country. Why you are attempting to defend such a ramshackle organisation is beyond me. Noyt even die-hard soccer supporters will defend them so why are you?

Zapatista

Another non interesting fact about Niall Quinn is that his missus used to do the washing powder ads.

Dakota

Quote from: Zapatista on January 25, 2010, 07:08:25 PM
Another non interesting fact about Niall Quinn is that his missus used to do the washing powder ads.

Fine pair of tits on her too

T Fearon

Indiana what exactly is your beef with the FAI and how really are they any better or worse than the gaa?

INDIANA

Quote from: T Fearon on January 25, 2010, 07:23:56 PM
Indiana what exactly is your beef with the FAI and how really are they any better or worse than the gaa?

C'mon I've outlined how incompetent they are above.
My beef is the squandermania of 88-94 by the FAI. They've been leeching off everybody else since. Enough their for a Tribunal.
The inadequate Harry Ramsden preparation at international level
Don't look after the grassroots especially junior soccer
No domestic professional leage. it is now officially the laughing stock of Europe in this respect
Can we have a replay please- I was never so embarrassed to be an Irishman when Delaney started whingeing about that.

All of the above are down to the incompetent management by the FAI.

The Gaa has its issues but its immeasurably better run than the FAI.
Mind you the FAI is such a jokeshop thats not saying much

In my opinion the FAI are the Fianna Fail in the context of World Sporting Organisations.

magickingdom

Quote from: T Fearon on January 25, 2010, 07:23:56 PM

get real tony, the gaa are miles ahead of them with facilities in most towns in ireland. there is a serious lack of brains in the fai and look no further then the league of ireland if you doubt that

T Fearon

Sorry I don't see what the squandermania of 20 years ago has to do with the present FAI and hey they are about to occupy a new stadium.

They have improved domestic soccer significantly, facilities are immeasurably better than 10 years ago, and have been brave enough to go for summer soccer, full time professionalism etc, but what chance have you got when you are effectively up against the English Premiership and endless amounts of cash. Look how Scottish soccer has declined in the last 5 years.

Tme to wise up and realise there are no easy answers to intractable problems.

Zulu

QuoteThey have improved domestic soccer significantly, facilities are immeasurably better than 10 years ago, and have been brave enough to go for summer soccer, full time professionalism etc

Why is that brave as oppossed to stupid?

T Fearon

Its brave because it was and is a gamble and has undoubtedly raised standards, which they are being berated for on this thread for allegedly not doing.

AZOffaly

What standards has it raised Tony? I think a few lads are going overboard here in their criticism, but equally I think you are stretching a lot. I remember Limerick giving Real Madrid a good couple of games, and various other performances by Rovers etc.

I think the 'standards' have been raised in relation to European competition because the Irish teams are in the midst of their season when the qualifying rounds come along, unlike the majority of the teams they play.

INDIANA

Quote from: T Fearon on January 25, 2010, 08:46:23 PM
Sorry I don't see what the squandermania of 20 years ago has to do with the present FAI and hey they are about to occupy a new stadium.

They have improved domestic soccer significantly, facilities are immeasurably better than 10 years ago, and have been brave enough to go for summer soccer, full time professionalism etc, but what chance have you got when you are effectively up against the English Premiership and endless amounts of cash. Look how Scottish soccer has declined in the last 5 years.

Tme to wise up and realise there are no easy answers to intractable problems.

Tony will stop digging a bigger hole for yourself. You are talking through your arse .

Shelbourne - folded professionally- now plays in div 1- totally part time

Cork City- almost in administration - couldn't pay their taxes or players

Derry City- relegated after found to be paying players off the books.

Pats- totally part-time. Entire board gone- all the players too. Kerr went- sadlier gone etc etc.

Bohemians are in serious, serious financial difficullty. No within the Eircom League can understand why they haven't been investigated.

The likes of Longford, Waterford, Galway UNited are a all finished. All part time.

Stop talking about things as an alleged soccerman when you haven't an absolute rashers as to whats going on. You look like a plonker at this stage. I actually follow my local Eircom team because a relation of mine plays for them. You don't have a notion of how bad things are. More people go to watch our junior championship football team in the summer then go to watch our local Eircom League team

And this is something the FAI should be proud of?

T Fearon

Its the same in the North, with Junior soccer more popular than senior soccer. The question is what can the FAI do about it, except disburse the limited funding it has as fairly as possible, encourage facility improvement, provide for better coaching, promotion, all of whoch they seem to be doing very well. Reading the international match programmes I am amazed to see soccer thriving oin places like Mayo, Kerry etc.

In short, tell us what more in your opinion, the FAI could and should do, and be realistic. Should the FA in England be responsible for Man Ure's vast debt? How then can the FAI be responsible if certain clubs live beyond their means, with double contracts etc unbeknownst to anyone. At least the FAI dealt severely and appropriately with Derry when their misdemeanours came to light.

By the way Indiana, I followed the great Dundalk team (Keely, Dunning, Muckian, Carlyle, Dainty, the Lawlors etc) of the late 70s and early 80s all over Ireland, and saw the likes of Liverpool, Celtic, PSV Eindhoven and Spurs all get pinned to their collars in European action at Oriel Park. Were you even born at that stage? I played Junior soccer up here for nearly 15 years, and have played with and against the likes of Nigel Worthington, Neil Lennon and Gerry Taggart. I think I know what I'm talking about.

Billys Boots

I would have thought that soccer in Ireland is on a par with other European countries outside the five mega-leagues in England, Spain, France, Italy and Germany.  In the European competitions, the Eircom League teams appear to compete favourably with sides from the other leagues, regularly. 

I don't argue with the contention that FAI management could be better, or that the Aviva gamble has gone spectacularly wrong, but there is a following and a large playing contingent in Irish soccer.  They just don't (at present) choose to watch Eircom League soccer in comparable numbers to the GAA inter-county competitions. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

INDIANA

Quote from: T Fearon on January 26, 2010, 09:38:05 AM
Its the same in the North, with Junior soccer more popular than senior soccer. The question is what can the FAI do about it, except disburse the limited funding it has as fairly as possible, encourage facility improvement, provide for better coaching, promotion, all of whoch they seem to be doing very well. Reading the international match programmes I am amazed to see soccer thriving oin places like Mayo, Kerry etc.

In short, tell us what more in your opinion, the FAI could and should do, and be realistic. Should the FA in England be responsible for Man Ure's vast debt? How then can the FAI be responsible if certain clubs live beyond their means, with double contracts etc unbeknownst to anyone. At least the FAI dealt severely and appropriately with Derry when their misdemeanours came to light.

By the way Indiana, I followed the great Dundalk team (Keely, Dunning, Muckian, Carlyle, Dainty, the Lawlors etc) of the late 70s and early 80s all over Ireland, and saw the likes of Liverpool, Celtic, PSV Eindhoven and Spurs all get pinned to their collars in European action at Oriel Park. Were you even born at that stage? I played Junior soccer up here for nearly 15 years, and have played with and against the likes of Nigel Worthington, Neil Lennon and Gerry Taggart. I think I know what I'm talking about.

I suggest then you're living in a time warp. The FAI never told anyone about the clubs that have been breaking the rules for over 5 years Tony- why did it take them 5 years to make an example of someone? Why didn't Drogheda get relegated last year for instance? Poor administration really. They knew about it and did nothing.

With good management in the early 90's there was enough money to help setup clubs as viable semi-pro outfits. Attendences were still reasonably good back then. They ignored this and left the league to rot. The onset of the permiership ensured the Eircom League was reduced to nothing in terms of attendecnes.

what can they do? Revert back to amateur or semi-pro and leave it at that for the time being. Professional soccer full time is finished in Ireland and will probably never rear its head again. And its their fault.