Ungrateful FAI Delaney

Started by longrunsthefox, January 16, 2010, 04:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longrunsthefox

Should be grateful to have got in in the first place without firing this parting shot

Delaney hits out at GAA's stance on Croker
John Delaney has claimed the FAI and IRFU might not have gone ahead with the Aviva Stadium development if they had known Croke Park would be available to them in the long term.
The GAA only agreed to open its doors to soccer and rugby in 2007 on a temporary basis, but the financial success of staging international games at Croke Park has seen a change in attitude in the GAA, and it is expected that a motion will passed at Congress in April which will give Central Council the power to open the stadium to other sports in the future.
But speaking after yesterday's announcement that the Republic of Ireland's glamour friendly on March 3 against Brazil will take place in Arsenal's Emirates Stadium and not Croke Park, the FAI chief executive again ruled out a return for the international soccer team to GAA headquarters for at least 10 years, stating that the GAA's initial position forced soccer and rugby chiefs to redevelop Lansdowne Road and sign long-term contracts with sponsors and suppliers.
"Had it been made clear going in that Croke Park would remain open in the longer term, I think that discussion could have taken place," the Waterford native said.
"But it was made clear to both Philip Browne (IRFU CEO) and myself when we attended the first meetings that Croke Park was not going to become available to us in the longer haul."

Zapatista

Hardy

heffo

Croker offered to reduce the normal rent/fee by about 500k for the Brazil game and this clown tries to deflect the attention from the deal the FAI did with that promotions company that brought the game to Highbury.

PS - if anyone wants a tasty bit of info on that clown, pm me..

cavanmaniac

"Had it been made clear going in that Croke Park would remain open in the longer term, I think that discussion could have taken place," the Waterford native said.
"But it was made clear to both Philip Browne (IRFU CEO) and myself when we attended the first meetings that Croke Park was not going to become available to us in the longer haul."

I don't see any 'parting shot' or anyone 'hitting out' when you examine what was actually said instead of being seduced by a headline writer, in fairness. I'n no big fan of Delaney's etc. but I wouldn't have him brought out and shot for this, unless there's fuller quotes elsewhere where he comes across as ungrateful.

longrunsthefox

Sounds ungrateful to me... Why has the FAI not managed to put a decent stadium together rather than act like the GAA and Rugby crowd owe them something?   

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: cavanmaniac on January 16, 2010, 05:54:42 PM

I don't see any 'parting shot' or anyone 'hitting out' when you examine what was actually said instead of being seduced by a headline writer, in fairness. I'n no big fan of Delaney's etc. but I wouldn't have him brought out and shot for this, unless there's fuller quotes elsewhere where he comes across as ungrateful.

True. I didn't see all that much wrong with it. He bascially said if they knew that Croke Park would be available long-term they would have had to have had discussions regarding any redevelopment of Lansdowne.

I think the IRFU were set on redeveloping LR anyway so it probably makes little difference.

tyronefan

dont see where he thanked the gaa either

AZOffaly

He did thank the GAA a while ago. How many times does he have to say thanks? I don't see what he's done wrong here, and I'm no fan of his.

Basically he's said that when the GAA initially said it was until the completion of Lansdowne Road, he's right. And that's what a lot of our members said at the time too. Of course it was always likely to be available after that, once you've opened it up, it's a lot easier to stay open, and Delaney could be accused of being a bit disingenuous with his comment, but on face value he's 100% correct.

He's also correct to say they've done a deal with Aviva for the naming rights, etc, so they'd be fairly unhappy if the biggest and best games (the only ones you'd need Croker for) were transferred out of the stadium they've paid millions to name.

Storm teacup methinks.

longrunsthefox

It is not a storm at all but he comes across as ungrateful and has forgotten the begging bowl he arrived at the GAA's doors with.

thewobbler

There isn't even a tea cup let alone a storm in one.

If this kind of thing can annoy or preoccupy you longrunthefox, then you mustn't have enough going on your life.

longrunsthefox

I know, I thought of nothing else all day and am considering going to the FAI's headquarters and setting myself on fire  ::) 

Hardy

AZOffaly

That's a non sequiter Hardy, or maybe a moot point. :D

antoinse

I totally agree with you Longrunstheffox but graciousness is not what you would expect from him.  How ironic it is that he should say it yesterday after our so called great body prostituting themselves during the week re Brazil game.