Nixon sets sights on Aiden O'Shea deal

Started by muppet, October 23, 2009, 09:56:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

MWWSI 2017

blanketattack

After signing Tommy Walsh he said his next target was Michael Murphy. Any word on how he got on with him?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: muppet on October 23, 2009, 09:56:08 AM

If Aiden O'Shea goes I think I'll cease supporting the AFL feeder competition, AKA the Gaa.

When we were down in Castlebar for the NFL game earlier in the year, himself and Nixon were having a right oul chinwag in the hotel lobby. Not looking good.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Rossfan

I suppose they have to get their first Mayoman. ;D
Anyway most of those who went in the recent "exodus"( of 7 or so) have come or are coming back. Most of the rest who go will do the same.
Meanwhile we lose an awful lot more ordinary players to rugby and soccer a lot of them because we can't come up with  any kind of logical structured fixtures schedule.
But sure let's keep giving out about the Rules crowd as it will make us feel better.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

BennyHarp

Its getting ridiculous now - this man seems to be an absolute cancer on the GAA! I read that he appears to be badgering James Kielt as well - even after the lad told him he wasnt interested! I know this man has a job to do and i dont begrudge the lads going - butits getting very frustrating!

Kielt still on Nixon's radar

Derry's James Kielt
22 October 2009

AFL agent Ricky Nixon says he hasn't given up hope of landing the signature of Derry star James Kielt.

Kielt has so far knocked back attempts by the Aussie rules agent to sign him up but Nixon isn't giving up yet.

"James Kielt is in the top three players I would love to get to Australia," Nixon admitted.

"I am going to speak to him, just give him a call. James is the most knowledgeable kid in Ireland in AFL football.

"He could absolutely walk in and play tomorrow. He is a star in Gaelic footy and I am the most disappointed person in the world that he hasn't come out and had a go.

"The GAA are probably high-fiving that he's stayed. He would make it in AFL footy. I am going to try (to change his mind).

That was never a square ball!!

full back

A cancer on the GAA, wise up FFS ::)

As someone has said the GAA is doing rightly losing players itself
How many players have we permanantly lost to the AFL?

Most of the lads that have went over are back, and none the worse for it.
It is like a lad taking a year or two out to go travelling, the majority of them will return

BennyHarp

Quote from: full back on October 23, 2009, 10:09:19 AM

It is like a lad taking a year or two out to go travelling, the majority of them will return

Yeah the GAA championship will be much better next year if we don't have Tommy Walsh, Aiden 'Shea, Michael Murphy and James Kielt!

irunthev

The reason why the recruitment situation is getting so much press now is because it is being driven by one man... Ricky Nixon - who has only one interest at heart and that is Ricky Nixon's bank balance.
He is obviously working on a commission based incentive scheme from clubs and also then signing up the players to his management agency. Therefore the more attention that Ricky Nixon can bring to himself and the "Australian Dream" the more pressure he can exert on the young players he is pursuing. Previously clubs had discreet recruitment managers who would quietly work at talking to a player and his family. It was in their interest to stay low key as often they may well have been linked to the GAA as well. Nixon though is all about dollars, and the more he manages to gather into his bank account before he is run out of town, or the Australians give up on the notion of home-sick Irish rookies with fragile bodies, the happier he will be.
He's doing his job and no different to Richard Branson or Michael O'Leary, he will grab every opportunity to gain publicity for his project. He cares not for the GAA (and why should he!) and I don't think he gives a damn about the Irish lads either, once he has gained his "bounty" for delivering them. He's the Colt Seevers of the AFL.

full back

Quote from: BennyHarp on October 23, 2009, 10:28:47 AM

Yeah the GAA championship will be much better next year if we don't have Tommy Walsh, Aiden 'Shea, Michael Murphy and James Kielt!

So if any of these lads decided to go travelling for a year you would begrudge them as well?

BennyHarp

Quote from: BennyHarp on October 23, 2009, 10:03:03 AM
Its getting ridiculous now - this man seems to be an absolute cancer on the GAA! I read that he appears to be badgering James Kielt as well - even after the lad told him he wasnt interested! I know this man has a job to do and i dont begrudge the lads going - butits getting very frustrating!

Derry's James Kielt
22 October 2009

AFL agent Ricky Nixon says he hasn't given up hope of landing the signature of Derry star James Kielt.

Kielt has so far knocked back attempts by the Aussie rules agent to sign him up but Nixon isn't giving up yet.

"James Kielt is in the top three players I would love to get to Australia," Nixon admitted.

"I am going to speak to him, just give him a call. James is the most knowledgeable kid in Ireland in AFL football.

"He could absolutely walk in and play tomorrow. He is a star in Gaelic footy and I am the most disappointed person in the world that he hasn't come out and had a go.

"The GAA are probably high-fiving that he's stayed. He would make it in AFL footy. I am going to try (to change his mind).

Quote from: full back on October 23, 2009, 10:32:53 AM

So if any of these lads decided to go travelling for a year you would begrudge them as well?
The answer to that is in my original post if you actually read the posts before replying! As a GAA fan and someone who wants to see the best players play our games and not another sport , i find it frustrating that this man is employed by a massive organisation soley to tempt lads away! Kielt has "knocked him back" on many occasions however he keeps coming back! I view that as being a bit of a cancer on our game! There is nobody from any other sport - who is currently employed to specificly identify GAA players and lure them away so its different than the odd player going to soccer! They are generally spotted PLAYING SOCCER!! Soccer scouts arent sat at big GAA games looking to poach the best players!!

magpie seanie

This guy Nixon appears to be a bit of a bullshitter and really should be given no notice - by the papers or posters here.

full back

Quote from: BennyHarp on October 23, 2009, 10:43:40 AM

Derry's James Kielt
22 October 2009

The answer to that is in my original post if you actually read the posts before replying! As a GAA fan and someone who wants to see the best players play our games and not another sport , i find it frustrating that this man is employed by a massive organisation soley to tempt lads away! Kielt has "knocked him back" on many occasions however he keeps coming back! I view that as being a bit of a cancer on our game! There is nobody from any other sport - who is currently employed to specificly identify GAA players and lure them away so its different than the odd player going to soccer! They are generally spotted PLAYING SOCCER!! Soccer scouts arent sat at big GAA games looking to poach the best players!!

Glad to hear you dont begrudge the lads going
No-one is making them go & it is a great opportunity for any young lad.
The GAA dont own any player & if someone is offered the opportunity for a life of a paid sportsman they should grasp the opportunity with both hands

High Wide and Handsome

Quote from: BennyHarp on October 23, 2009, 10:43:40 AM

Derry's James Kielt
22 October 2009

benny i know what your saying about nixon, his in constantly in the media creating a stir which is really annoying. but on the other hand i would be very surpised if other sports dont keep an eye on gaelic players to see if they could benefit from their abilities. they just dont flaunt it into every paper that will listen.
"Swing er over!"

Bensars

There have been plenty like him who have been recruiting players for years.

The difference is that they were irish recruiters and were based in the states with little or no objection. In fact it was widely known and a blind eye was turned from those in authority.

In the 80's and early 90's thousands headed to the states and although they may not have been professional ,expenses were paid and many had the oppurtunity of  work and a life experience that without gaelic football they would not have been afforded.

INDIANA

Can't afford to keep losing stars. If you can't see that I give up. No guarantee they'll be any good when they come back.

Its one thing Kerry losing players its another Mayo and Donegal. Those counties need them.
I'm fed up with the attitude here and within the GAA where everyone just says we lose more players to gargle and bla bla bla. Most of those guys were never going to be players anyway- these are marquee Gaa players that are going.

You're either pro-Gaa or pro-AFL in my view- you can't be both. In my case I'm Pro-Gaa- we can't afford to be losing these players like Murphy and O Shea.

I'll say it again- Nixon is a venereal parasite who is in and out of it for the buck. He doesn't ultimately give a rats ass as long as he gets his agent's cut.