Nixon sets sights on Aiden O'Shea deal

Started by muppet, October 23, 2009, 09:56:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tubberman

QuoteOn one hand you can say that its a great opportunity, and we should be happy for anyone that chooses to head down under and peruse a career as a professional sportsman.

On the other hand its hard not to be selfish and feel sad to see such talent leave a county that is getting desperate for players able for the highest level.

Pearse Hanly was without doubt one of the best young players, if not the best I have ever seen. I was frozen in my seat by the way he played against Roscommon in April 2007 in the Connacht U21 final in McHale park. I think he kicked 8 points and ran the Roscommon defence ragged. He was a shadow of his former self when he returned for Ballaghadreen last year but he was a tremendous talent that Mayo could do with.

Likewise O Shea. He influence and ability is hugely important and by right, Mayo should build their attack, if not the team around him. If we lose him to the AFL I cant help but feel sorry about it.

I do begrudge Nixon and the AFL for taking young talent from the country. The GAA suffers as a result of losing such talent. Mayo suffered from losing Hanly and losing someone like O Shea, could set us back years.

But hey, if he goes, good luck to him.   

Well said. I remember watching Hanley for the minors against Leitrim in Carrick in '06. He was unbelievable. The best underage player I had ever watched. When he progressed up to senior it very exciting to think that we had this brilliant talent that we could build a team around.
So when he packed his bags and headed for Oz it was impossible not to think of what might have been.
Then O'Shea burst onto the scene with the minors in 08 and seniors this year. Again, it looked like we had a real star that we could look forward to watching for years to come.
But to be honest, I always thought there was a danger Nixon would come calling. I was surprised it hadn't happened before now.
O'Shea was hoping to get into DCU. I thought if he hadn't the points he'd be a certainty for a scholarship, but I haven't heard anything. I hope he stays - yes, that could be seen as selfish but who wants to lose their best player??
But if he does go, I'd wish him well.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

ildanach

if nixon is acting as an agent in ireland. is he liable for tax for comission he is getting for signing these players. perhaps if revenue went after him he might f**k off
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

I would send Nixon to Guantanamo Bay if it where not to close.   >:(
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

ballinaman

Quote from: Rossfan on October 23, 2009, 11:54:37 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on October 23, 2009, 11:48:03 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on October 23, 2009, 10:00:11 AM
I suppose they have to get their first Mayoman. ;D
Anyway most of those who went in the recent "exodus"( of 7 or so) have come or are coming back. Most of the rest who go will do the same.
Meanwhile we lose an awful lot more ordinary players to rugby and soccer a lot of them because we can't come up with  any kind of logical structured fixtures schedule.
But sure let's keep giving out about the Rules crowd as it will make us feel better.

Pathetic!!!!
How can stating a 100% true and correct fact be "pathetic!!!!" ??? ???

You are obviously trying another wind up with your block on your shoulder regarding Ballagh (much bigger than a chip at this stage).

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: ballinaman on October 23, 2009, 03:13:02 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on October 23, 2009, 11:54:37 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on October 23, 2009, 11:48:03 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on October 23, 2009, 10:00:11 AM
I suppose they have to get their first Mayoman. ;D
Anyway most of those who went in the recent "exodus"( of 7 or so) have come or are coming back. Most of the rest who go will do the same.
Meanwhile we lose an awful lot more ordinary players to rugby and soccer a lot of them because we can't come up with  any kind of logical structured fixtures schedule.
But sure let's keep giving out about the Rules crowd as it will make us feel better.

Pathetic!!!!
How can stating a 100% true and correct fact be "pathetic!!!!" ??? ???

You are obviously trying another wind up with your block on your shoulder regarding Ballagh (much bigger than a chip at this stage).

They should have their real argument with Westmeath over Connacht-Athlone which is a real part of Traditional/Real Roscommon rather than the occupied territories of Traditional/Real Mayo that is Ballagh, or is the real issue that Ballagh supplies more good footballers than Athlone. Remember that Ballagh would not have a fraction of the good players they have had if they where playing football in the Roscommon Championship.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Rossfan

Everyone from Ballagh are Roscommon people...no matter who they are qualified to play Football for. Plain fact ...nothing about chips on shoulders.
If O'Shea goes he will be the first Mayoman to go.
Maybe you could explain the rather silly contention that playing in the Mayo Championship makes people good footballers??
If it does  ::) there might be another Nixon out there who could assist other Counties by getting their best players transferred to Mayowestros clubs?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

orangeman

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on October 23, 2009, 03:01:59 PM
I would send Nixon to Guantanamo Bay if it where not to close.   >:(

Good enough reason to keep it open and play loud Irish music in the middle of the night when he's trying to sleep.

AbbeySider

All said, and after time and reflection...

O Shea hasnt the pace for the AFL. Apologies, but thats how I see it.
I dont think I can see him making it out there.
As powerful as he is, he is a big frame to be lugging around a huge pitch in a game of hard running.

INDIANA

Quote from: AbbeySider on October 23, 2009, 04:01:33 PM
All said, and after time and reflection...

O Shea hasnt the pace for the AFL. Apologies, but thats how I see it.
I dont think I can see him making it out there.
As powerful as he is, he is a big frame to be lugging around a huge pitch in a game of hard running.

TW ain't electric either. O Shea would be looked upon as a potential forward and so would Murphy. IF they were good enough -pace doesn't really come into it as much. Barry Hall for example is slower than a wet weekend in Ballyhaunis but he was a star forward.

ross matt

Have to disagree Indiana - TW has serious pace.

thejuice

Have we nothing to offer our talented young people but a flight out of here. I feel we should be doing all we can to entice our young people to stay here, but obviously this goes hand in hand with the economy too. We need to rethink the way the country is run. Rural communities need to be revitalised, perhaps by finding alternative land use to intensive agriculture, setting up local land based industries. (Ok I'm going off in a tangent, I'll stop but it can be done).

If Aiden and whoever really want to go to Australia we shouldnt stop them but there's no reason why we can't throw them a sales pitch of our own. Nixon isn't obviously taking the 1st or 2nd no for an answer by the looks of things and will keep telling lads how great things are down under.

I know this is only a handful of county players we are mainly talking about but looking beyond them there are a great number of young people heading off again from small towns and rural areas to the cities or abroad. My own club back home (yes I'm abroad too) has lost a a good few players and other clubs have been decimated.

I just feel this shows up as much about the wider picture as well. This is about us, Ireland, the GAA and what we can do for ourselves and our country.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Sionnach

Well, there is probably more that could be done to make it more attractive for talented young players to stick with the GAA. But realistically as long as the GAA does not offer players the opportunity to make a living playing sport, there will always be some who arre attracted by the idea of trying the cross-sport switch, no matter what is done.

muppet

Quote from: Rossfan on October 23, 2009, 03:48:03 PM
Everyone from Ballagh are Roscommon people...no matter who they are qualified to play Football for. Plain fact ...nothing about chips on shoulders.
If O'Shea goes he will be the first Mayoman to go.
Maybe you could explain the rather silly contention that playing in the Mayo Championship makes people good footballers??
If it does  ::) there might be another Nixon out there who could assist other Counties by getting their best players transferred to Mayowestros clubs?

So the 6 counties should play in the British Championship using your logic?
MWWSI 2017

Rossfan

Quote from: muppet on October 23, 2009, 06:30:19 PM

What the fcuk are you on about ???

Next time some of the Ballaghites, the traitor ones who support rhubarbness, want a House maybe they should apply to Mayo Co Co. They'll soon be told what County they belong to then !!!  :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

put-it-up

Quote from: Rossfan on October 23, 2009, 07:09:10 PM
Quote from: muppet on October 23, 2009, 06:30:19 PM

What the fcuk are you on about ???

Next time some of the Ballaghites, the traitor ones who support rhubarbness, want a House maybe they should apply to Mayo Co Co. They'll soon be told what County they belong to then !!!  :D

Nixon was out in DCU yesterday watching Michael Murphy (DCU) and Aidan O'Shea (Dit) in a freshers league match