Nixon sets sights on Aiden O'Shea deal

Started by muppet, October 23, 2009, 09:56:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephenite

Just to point out that Nixon operates independently of the AFL, it's his own company that reaps the profits. He represents some clubs that pay him commision based on who gets over and how successful they become. Obviously this benefits the AFL in general, but he is not employed by them. He's basically a players agent

I'd rather not see the players travel over, but as I'm based here the AFL is bascially my methadone fix from the addiction of watching live GAA. If they're here I enjoy watching how they get on. You can enjoy watching both Indiana.

There is a point here that I always make - players want to give the career of a full time professional sportsman a go, the majority don't make it or give up because they're too far away from home. But until the GAA can offer them this opportunity, the harsh reality is that we will continue to leak players to AFL, soccer and rugby.

full back

Quote from: stephenite on October 23, 2009, 11:38:11 AM
If they're here I enjoy watching how they get on. You can enjoy watching both Full back.

Thanks stephenite, indiana wasnt going to let me support both sports

Kevin Moran left the Dubs years ago to go play for Utd.
Can I be pro-soccer & pro-GAA indiana?

ballinaman

Quote from: Rossfan on October 23, 2009, 10:00:11 AM
I suppose they have to get their first Mayoman. ;D
Anyway most of those who went in the recent "exodus"( of 7 or so) have come or are coming back. Most of the rest who go will do the same.
Meanwhile we lose an awful lot more ordinary players to rugby and soccer a lot of them because we can't come up with  any kind of logical structured fixtures schedule.
But sure let's keep giving out about the Rules crowd as it will make us feel better.

Pathetic!!!!

stephenite

Quote from: full back on October 23, 2009, 11:40:36 AM
If they're here I enjoy watching how they get on. You can enjoy watching both Full back.

Thanks stephenite, indiana wasnt going to let me support both sports

Kevin Moran left the Dubs years ago to go play for Utd.
Can I be pro-soccer & pro-GAA indiana?

Apologies FB - thought it was yourself that said it. Corrected

Rossfan

Quote from: ballinaman on October 23, 2009, 11:48:03 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on October 23, 2009, 10:00:11 AM
I suppose they have to get their first Mayoman. ;D
Anyway most of those who went in the recent "exodus"( of 7 or so) have come or are coming back. Most of the rest who go will do the same.
Meanwhile we lose an awful lot more ordinary players to rugby and soccer a lot of them because we can't come up with  any kind of logical structured fixtures schedule.
But sure let's keep giving out about the Rules crowd as it will make us feel better.

Pathetic!!!!
How can stating a 100% true and correct fact be "pathetic!!!!" ??? ???
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ross matt

Just to point out that Nixon operates independently of the AFL, it's his own company that reaps the profits. He represents some clubs that pay him commision based on who gets over and how successful they become. Obviously this benefits the AFL in general, but he is not employed by them. He's basically a players agent

I'd rather not see the players travel over, but as I'm based here the AFL is bascially my methadone fix from the addiction of watching live GAA. If they're here I enjoy watching how they get on. You can enjoy watching both Full back.

There is a point here that I always make - players want to give the career of a full time professional sportsman a go, the majority don't make it or give up because they're too far away from home. But until the GAA can offer them this opportunity, the harsh reality is that we will continue to leak players to AFL, soccer and rugby.

Excellent post Stephenite. Having been in Oz a few times myself and having family over there I can see the attraction for a young man to pursue a fulltime professional career in that country. How can anyone deny them that opportunity? It's 2009 FFS!

The only way the GAA can offset this leakage of young talent is to present an attractive alternative whether that's an increase in third level college scholarships.... more paid coaching positions etc or whatever. (even at a fundemental level an improvement in fixtures fulfillment... refereeing consistency etc would be a start).

And whatever about losing players to alcohol... or apathy etc we lost many of them to rugby and soccer. Probably alot more than the AFL. Unlike the AFL there is little chance of them coming back to play GAA at intercounty level.

The ones that make it in Oz can still be counted on one hand. Most come back. Usually as better athletes and role models for the modern intercounty footballer.

Rossfan

Meanwhile :-
Whilst the International Rules series has been put on hold for 2009 the series at Masters level will continue over the coming two weekends when the Australian Wombats come visiting.
The series commenced in 2002 when a Dublin selection played the Australian visitors followed the following year by a visit to Australia by a group fom Dublin. In 2004 the Australians visited Ireland
and played two tests with Ireland winning both games. Ireland visited Australia in April 2006 and retained the trophy, with the Australians visiting us in October 2008 but being unable to wrest the trophy, which had been renamed after one of the stalwarts of the Masters game Paddy Gaffney,
from our possession. The Australians had their first victory in the series in October 2008 when Ireland visited Australia but returned minus the trophy - a situation which we hope to rectifty over the next couple of weeks.
The Australians first game here is on Friday 23 rd October when they play an Irish Selection in a non test match at Kingspan Breifni Park, Cavan (7.30 pm start)
The first in the two test series will take place at the splendid Clann na Gael club at Johnstown on Sunday 25 th October. A "B" game commence proceedings at 2.30 pm followed by the
"A" game at 4.30. The Clann na Gael club have put together a great programme to ensure that this will be a memorable occasion.
The second test will be held at St. Annes in Bohernabreena on Saturday 31 st October. The home club of Dublins Joe and Alan Mc Nally are planning a spectacular Halloween welcome for the Wombats.Proceedings get under way with a "B" game at 1.00 followed by the "A"test at 3.00 pm.
The Full Irish Panel for both the A and B games is as follows;

ANTRIM

Michael Johson Played Senior for Antrim Won Ulster U21 Medal Member of Ireland Masters Panel in Australia 2008
Gerry Mc Carron Played Senior, U21 and Minor for Antrim Ulster Senior Club Medal Member of Ireland Masters Panel in Australia 2008
Tim Connolly Played Senior for Antrim for 7 Seasons Member of Ireland Masters Panel in Australia 2008
John Mc Neill Currently Manager of Antrim U21 Team Member of Ireland Masters Panel in Australia 2008
James Brazier Member of Ireland Masters Panel in Australia 2008
Stephen Graham Member of Ireland Masters Panel in Australia 2008
Jim Mc Guinness
Gerry Mc Cullough
Jim Close

MAYO

Ger Carmody Member of Ireland Masters Panel in Australia 2008
Jim Henry Member of Ireland Masters Panel in Australia 2009
Ciaran Gallagher

DUBLIN

Joe Mc Nally All Ireland Winner in 1983 All Ireland Minor Winner in 1982 Leinster U21 Winner in 1984 All Star winner in 1983
Member of Ireland Masters Panel V Australia 2004 / 2006 / 2008
Garry Kilmartin Won 2 Leinster Club Championships with Tomas Davis Member of Ireland Masters Panel in Australia 2008
John Nolan Member of Ireland Masters Panel in Australia 2008
Raymond Danne Won All Ireland Club title with Baltinglass Played Railway Cup with Leinster Member of Ireland Masters Panel in Australia 2008
Alan Mc Nally Played Minor & Senior for Dublin Member of Ireland Masters Panel in Australia 2008
John Campbell Member of Ireland Masters Panel in Australia 2008
Willie Davey
Denis O Leary Member of Ireland Masters Panel V Australia 2006
Peter Joyce
Paul Curran Played Senior for Dublin Current Sunday Game Analyst
Sean Keenan

Wicklow
Kevin O Brien First and Only Wicklow All Star Winner Current Selector on Wicklow Senior Team
Won All Ireland Club title with Baltinglass Played Railway Cup with Leinster Recipient of GAA Presidents Award

CAVAN
Dessie Cahill Member of Ireland Masters Panel in Australia 2008
Gabriel Patterson Member of Ireland Masters Panel V Australia 2006
John Emmo
Francis Clarke
Paul Campbell
Michael Brady Member of Ireland Panels in 2006
Seamus Donohoe Won Ulster U21 Medal in 1986 Played Senior for Cavan for 10 Seasons

LONGFORD
John Gerard Corcoran Member of Ireland Masters Panel in Australia 2008
John Hyland Member of Ireland Masters Panel in Australia 2008
Kevin Hourican Member of Ireland Masters Panel V Australia 2006
Jimmy O Neill
Brian Mc Niven

SLIGO
John Wallace Member of Ireland Masters Panel in Australia 2008

DOWN
Dominic Kearns Member of Ireland Masters Panel in Australia 2008
Daman Murdock
John Donnelly
Mark Domican
Peter Whitnell All Ireland Senior Winner in 1991

GALWAY
Eamon Walsh
Ger Lee
Tom Greaney
Vinny Larkin
Brian Silke
Harry Walshe

Declan

QuoteUsually as better athletes and role models for the modern intercounty footballer.

Not according to some of the contributors on the Kennelly thread

SLIGONIAN

Is it confirmed? I would urge Aidan to go. Its a great opportunity. Good luck to him if he does. He came across well in his article over the leaving cert. Not sure he got what he wanted. He was talking about repeating it? Big decisions to make for a young lad.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

irunthev

Quote from: Bensars on October 23, 2009, 11:20:51 AM
There have been plenty like him who have been recruiting players for years.

The difference is that they were irish recruiters and were based in the states with little or no objection. In fact it was widely known and a blind eye was turned from those in authority.

In the 80's and early 90's thousands headed to the states and although they may not have been professional ,expenses were paid and many had the oppurtunity of  work and a life experience that without gaelic football they would not have been afforded.

God bless John Haran -  hey Bensar!

AbbeySider

On one hand you can say that its a great opportunity, and we should be happy for anyone that chooses to head down under and peruse a career as a professional sportsman.

On the other hand its hard not to be selfish and feel sad to see such talent leave a county that is getting desperate for players able for the highest level.

Pearse Hanly was without doubt one of the best young players, if not the best I have ever seen. I was frozen in my seat by the way he played against Roscommon in April 2007 in the Connacht U21 final in McHale park. I think he kicked 8 points and ran the Roscommon defence ragged. He was a shadow of his former self when he returned for Ballaghadreen last year but he was a tremendous talent that Mayo could do with.

Likewise O Shea. He influence and ability is hugely important and by right, Mayo should build their attack, if not the team around him. If we lose him to the AFL I cant help but feel sorry about it.

I do begrudge Nixon and the AFL for taking young talent from the country. The GAA suffers as a result of losing such talent. Mayo suffered from losing Hanly and losing someone like O Shea, could set us back years.

But hey, if he goes, good luck to him.  :(

magpie seanie

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on October 23, 2009, 12:10:36 PM
Is it confirmed? I would urge Aidan to go. Its a great opportunity. Good luck to him if he does. He came across well in his article over the leaving cert. Not sure he got what he wanted. He was talking about repeating it? Big decisions to make for a young lad.

Maybe he should bring Parsons and a few more with him to help him adjust!

INDIANA

I'd rather not see the players travel over, but as I'm based here the AFL is bascially my methadone fix from the addiction of watching live GAA. If they're here I enjoy watching how they get on. You can enjoy watching both Indiana.

I do watch both - I wasn't talking about watching them - I'm referring specifically to the issue and while its ok to say we only lose a few. Pearse Hanley and O Shea would transform the Mayo senior football team if paired together.
I've no problem saying Michael Murphy is  the best 19 year old player I've ever seen playing GAA. I'm actually struggling to think of another forward at 19 who had the pace, power and kicking accuracy this guy has. Donegal mightn't see his likes again for 25 years. They lose him and its adios to Donegal football for the next decade.

Rossfan

That's the problem with being an amateur sport...no contracts,no obligations free agents can come and go as they please.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 23, 2009, 12:22:05 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on October 23, 2009, 12:10:36 PM

Maybe he should bring Parsons and a few more with him to help him adjust!

:-X ;).
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"