UC 2010: Aontroim vs Tír Eoghain 23rd May, Páirc Mhic Asmaint

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, October 22, 2009, 10:02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

FoSB was down in O'Neill's shop today gearing up for the game:

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

saffron sam2

Antrim players who attended the "Breakfast with the Baker" extravaganza feasted on muesli and wholemeal toast, whilst everyone else tucked into a big fry.

That will see us over the line. Antrim by two.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: saffron sam2 on April 27, 2010, 08:29:22 AM
Antrim players who attended the "Breakfast with the Baker" extravaganza feasted on muesli and wholemeal toast, whilst everyone else tucked into a big fry.

That will see us over the line. Antrim by two.

Are you sure they didn't have a big fry at about a quarter to seven on Sat night?
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: ONeill on April 26, 2010, 11:50:46 PM
FoSB was down in O'Neill's shop today gearing up for the game:

FFS ONeill, I'd never assault the supersensitve sartorial (and sissy) senses of the west Belfastians with sandals and fecking socks! Give me a break! :P ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Redhand Santa

Anyone like to guess the Tyrone line up for this one? Injuries permitting it could be something along these lines: Devine,Carlin,Justy,McMenamin,Harte,Joe McMahon,Jordan,Hughes,Cassidy,S Cavanagh,B McGuigan,C Cavanagh,Penrose,O'Neill,Mugsy. McGuigan will face tough competition from Harte,Coney and Tommy. If Justy McMahon misses out would expect Sean O'Neill or McCarron in.

ONeill

I was told by an ex-Rossa underage goalie that Antrim were bate 5-22 to 0-20 by Dublin in a friendly.
I was told by a burly ex-Lamh Dhearg free-scoring maestro that they thought the Jacks were the biggest, strongest outfit they've met in a long time.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fuzzman

I was chatting to someone on Sunday who knows the Antrim setup well and he says the panel is quite confident they can take Tyrone.

He said there was a bit of disquiet when the Galls lads came back and some walked straight into the team but I suppose an element of this is to be expected.

I was glad to see Dooher and Stevie O play well for us on Sat v Eskra and the Ref certainly didn't do much to protect either of them from getting decapitated several times

I hope its not like the 1st match v Down 2 years ago where we get off to a great start and then fall asleep. We'll miss Block and probably find it hard to mark Cunningham.

I'll be surprised if B.McG lines out at 11 but like Dooher could be a 2nd half sub most games.

ziggysego

I personally don't think it's fair on the players currently on the panel. The media and fans saying Tyrone will be back once SoN, Dooher, BMcG, Mugsy and co are back. Imagine what it does to the fella's currently playing confidence. Whilst it is great to see them back, we shouldn't be relying on them and giving the lads currently playing more of a confidence boost.
Testing Accessibility

Fuzzman

Here Here Ziggy

A lot of us on here, myself included were slating young Cavanagh and of course he's still prone to the odd blunder and is far from the level of Sean, we do have another tall, strong player who can play at MF or half forward.

Had we all had our way he'd have been tossed on the scrap heap and not made any progress during the league.
I suppose this is the hard choices that face a manager
How long does he stick with a player who he knows has talent but continues to never take his chance

Remember Ciaran Loughran years ago. Used to always stand out a mile at training by all accounts but often never reproduced that on the match day.

Will be interested to see who makes the CHF position their own this year
I hope he proves me wrong but I think BmcG's vision restriction has reduced his effectiveness. Collie McCullagh would be an interesting choice there but I think we could see the two Cavanaghs in the half forward line along with Penrose or even young Harte

I'd like to see our spine being
Justy
Joey
Cassidy & Hub
Big Sean
Stevie O'Neill

We need to get a settled right footed free taker as well and my choice is big Sean and not Mugsy or Tommy.

With the game only a few weeks away its certainly all hush hush

Orior

I found Mickey Harte's game plan today. It said:
1) Get the ball to Cavanagh
2) Cavanagh stands still
3) Cavanagh shimmys in front of defender
4) Cavanagh runs past defender
5) Cavanagh scores point

If you are an Antrim defender, then rehearse this:
1) Give the ball to a forward
2) Forward stands still
3) Defender knocks ball out of the hands of the forward

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Hurler on the Bitch

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on April 20, 2010, 11:15:15 PM
Antrim 1-14 Tyrone 1-10

hardstation to be seen streaking down the Andytown road with milltown chasing after him with a cucumber

Bink, bink, bink, bink, I've got a feeling, bink, bink, bink, bink, that the Saffs will have a good day, that the Saffs will have a good day etc etc .. Reminds me of the build up to the Down game in 2000 - a team on the way out against a team on the way up .. I think that Antrim will have the hunger and passion to do it (get out and support the team Saffron fans!)... I will, personally, make love to hard station - or Fergie from the Black Eyed Peas (depending on who turns up) on the pitch after the game if we win ... he needs some excitement.

omagh_gael

I'v had a vision, Tyrone are going to win Ulster...

Tyrone V Antrim (Qtr Final) A tight match with free flowing football produces high scoring fare. A young lad named Dooher is introduced with fifteen to go and swings over two beauties to win the game by one for the red hands. O'Neill and Hardstation don't get round to leaving the Fruithill Lawn Tennis and Bowling Club for the game and are found at 5pm at two sets each on a thirteen to twelve tie break with O'Neill serving for match point.

Tyrone V Down (Semi Final) Down skip through their Qtr final with relative ease following some spectacular fielding and scoring from a young buck called Clarke. Rumours persist that Paddy O'Rourke was heard giving a rousing speech to the Mourne men at half time.

Tyrone start on fire but are quickly reeled back and find themselves 2 down with 10 mins of the 70 remaining following a Dan Gordon fisted goal, a sense of Deja Vu wafts over the stunned Tyrone support. However, a spectacular sight unfolds when Peter the Great strips of his two piece tracksuit in the stand to reveal the new Target Express rig, he slips of the gutties and laces up the puma kings. Mickey wastes no time and throws him on in FF and he goes on to score one with the left, one with the right and the winner with his head, running away celebrating by claiming he fisted her (this later goes down in Tyrone GAA folklore as "the head of god!") There is drama under the Gerry Arthur stand as Mark Sidebottom is seen to be head butted by an unidentified man in an Omagh CBS training top. Unconfirmed reports claim that the man was heard muttering under his breath..."Omagh St Enda's me Hole!"

Tyrone V Armagh (Ulster Final) A renewal of the great rivalry from the noughties see these two giants of the game lock horns in the sweltering heat of Clones. The 'Hats, Scarves and Headbands' vendors are out in all their finery. The smell of burgers and fried onions drifts down Fermanagh street driving the buckfast brigade clean mad with the munchies. Pre-match entertainment involves a humorous parody of controversial incidents from the games between the two over the previous decade. Peter the Great, fresh from his 'head of god' controversy, plays himself in the crying game with Francie Bellew playing the part of Ciaran McKinney much to the pleasure of the Armagh faithful. All around the ground are surprised when Ricey Mc Menamin appears on the pitch early to recreate his infamous trip which unfortunately ends on his knees landing on a sporting John McEntee.

As the game begins Stevie Mc Donnell and Ronan Clarke are on fire and put Armagh 1-07 to 0-4 ahead after 25 mins. Tyrone make it a two point game at half time with a late 1-03 salvo following a back-heeled nutmeg by a perplexed Dermy Carlin and three from play by SoN. Half time: Armagh 1-09 Tyrone 1-07.

There is love in the air at half time as Ziggy proposes to leenie over the tanoy, she declines as he was too cheap to buy her a ticket for the Gerry Arthur and instead she's stuck up high on the hill. Ziggy is later seen in the Paragon Beer garden drowning his sorrows with Long Runs the Fox and a middle aged woman in a Cullyhana jersey with a lazy right eye.

As the second half begins Tyrone take the upper hand and stretch out a four point lead following a series of free kicks including an unfortunate own point by Paul Hearty who attempted a Rene Higuita scorpion kick that went totally wrong. However, there was applause all round for his valiant attempt. Armagh make a decent fist of a comeback but are thwarted by super sub Dooher who is named man of the match for his impressive 10 minute cameo at the end of the match which included a 50 yard run with continuous keepy uppies and a trade mark sliced point to finished it off. He dedicated that score after the match to a gracious Paddy Bradley who waved down to Dooher from the Mc Grane stand opposite. Final score Tyrone 1-18 Armagh 1-14 and Tyrone are named Ulster Champions for 2010.

There was further drama during the week when the front cover of Tuesdays Irish News was dedicated to Final Whistle's hunger strike due to Paddy Heaney only awarding Colm Cavanagh 6/10 in Mondays match report. Also included in Heaney's match report was an unconfirmed sighting of Paddy O'Rourke rushing to a waiting car from underneath the Gerry Arthur stand in a Red and Black polo top shouting "Up yours you Orange B**tards!"

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: Redhand Santa on May 04, 2010, 10:37:50 PM
Anyone like to guess the Tyrone line up for this one? Injuries permitting it could be something along these lines: Devine,Carlin,Justy,McMenamin,Harte,Joe McMahon,Jordan,Hughes,Cassidy,S Cavanagh,B McGuigan,C Cavanagh,Penrose,O'Neill,Mugsy. McGuigan will face tough competition from Harte,Coney and Tommy. If Justy McMahon misses out would expect Sean O'Neill or McCarron in.

I think thats a pretty good stab at it. We have had plenty of experimentation in the league and some valuable experience for younger players but not many have nailed down a place.

Carlin had a good league and deserves his chance in the championship. As the youngest member of the 2003 panel he has been waiting a good while now and this season was maybe make or break. Needs a big championship now to cement his place. Colly Cavanagh and Aidan Cassidy are the others who made great strides in the league and like Carlin they now need to do it on the biggest stage. Cathal McCarron showed signs in his too brief appearances and Id like to see him get a chance over the summer. Sadly Mulgrew is yet to make that kick on we saw from Dermy and Colly and time is running out for him.

Of the rest the likes of Peter Harte, Red Sean, McNabb and Coney had their moments but perhaps not quite ready to make the big leap and become regular starters just yet. Harte and O'Neill maybe.

I know some fans raised concerns over the form of people like Davey Harte, Block and Ricey but I would still reckon these lads will be at the level required when it matters. Lack of game time for Dooher and SON is more of a concern.

I always felt McCullagh was a key man in 2008. Lined out at half forward but dropped back and much of the play went through him. Tyrone didnt have anybody doing that last summer. He hasnt featured much this year though and is perhaps unlikely to get many games which is unfortunate.

Overall there are more questions than answers at the moment and if Tyrone are to really challenge then you are looking for things to click and fall into place with games a la 2008. Not impossible but always a long shot. Then again being written off as an ageing team is a nice way to go into the championship. So much will depend on the mood and confidence in the camp.

tyssam5

Quote from: ziggysego on May 05, 2010, 02:20:21 PM
I personally don't think it's fair on the players currently on the panel. The media and fans saying Tyrone will be back once SoN, Dooher, BMcG, Mugsy and co are back. Imagine what it does to the fella's currently playing confidence. Whilst it is great to see them back, we shouldn't be relying on them and giving the lads currently playing more of a confidence boost.

Players currently on the panel got the team relegated Ziggy.

ziggysego

Quote from: tyssam5 on May 06, 2010, 02:08:39 AM
Quote from: ziggysego on May 05, 2010, 02:20:21 PM

Players currently on the panel got the team relegated Ziggy.

I'm prepared for a couple of years of teething problems, if the team is in transition and building towards a team for tomorrow. These things don't happen over night.
Testing Accessibility