UC 2010: Aontroim vs Tír Eoghain 23rd May, Páirc Mhic Asmaint

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, October 22, 2009, 10:02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: EC Unique on May 26, 2010, 11:22:37 AM
Don't see how it is too early for Pete Harte to be tried at 11. He is the same age as Sean C was in 2003 and we all know how that faired out!  Let him at it I say.

Cavanagh wasnt just pitched in at midfield once the 2003 championship was underway though. He had championship experience from the previous summer and had been excelling at midfield through the 2003 league. Midfield isnt quite the same anyway, we're talking about a position through pretty much all the play would go. Even Brian McGuigan, Tyrone's best player in that role in a long long time, didnt go straight into that playmaking role and make it his own in his first season with the senior team, he had time on the panel first and played different roles before nailing down his place at CHF.
Im all for giving Harte plenty of game time this summer but its not realistic to expect him go to CHF and become the pivot this summer.

ONeill

What has been impressive about Peter Harte any time I've seen him is his direct running at speed and the confidence he has shown to break tackles. He's a great option from the bench and if Dooher wasn't fit I'd have no fear in seeing him start. A more exciting prospect than any other newcomer on that squad right now.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

omagh_gael

I have been impressed with his direct running and ability to break tackles. Appears to be a right an strong lad.

One particular incident that impressed me was during the Cork game he chased after a lost cause of a ball round right HB position beat his man who had at least a four yard head start and won a free ,which after being taken, ended up with Ryan Mellon scoring a goal.

EC Unique

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on May 26, 2010, 06:56:56 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on May 26, 2010, 11:22:37 AM
Don't see how it is too early for Pete Harte to be tried at 11. He is the same age as Sean C was in 2003 and we all know how that faired out!  Let him at it I say.

Cavanagh wasnt just pitched in at midfield once the 2003 championship was underway though. He had championship experience from the previous summer and had been excelling at midfield through the 2003 league. Midfield isnt quite the same anyway, we're talking about a position through pretty much all the play would go. Even Brian McGuigan, Tyrone's best player in that role in a long long time, didnt go straight into that playmaking role and make it his own in his first season with the senior team, he had time on the panel first and played different roles before nailing down his place at CHF.
Im all for giving Harte plenty of game time this summer but its not realistic to expect him go to CHF and become the pivot this summer.

Some players thrive at being thrown in at the deep end. I think he is one of those. It would be a gamble but one worth taking in my opinion.

Fear ón Srath Bán

I would't be too concerned about Pete Harte being started, there's a rare assuredness about him that belies his tender years, but I'd trust MH to handle it the right way.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Zapatista

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on May 26, 2010, 11:47:12 PM
I would't be too concerned about Pete Harte being started, there's a rare assuredness about him that belies his tender years, but I'd trust MH to handle it the right way.

Ricey was interviewed on Newstalk today and singled Harte out for a big future. I'd be happy to wait on him.