Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Quote from: orangeman on October 24, 2009, 03:31:33 PM
Quote from: Whitehair on October 24, 2009, 03:04:39 PM
Quote from: orangeman on October 24, 2009, 02:50:58 PM
Quote from: Minder on October 24, 2009, 02:33:51 PM
Vietnam

Was yer man a Vietnamese ?

Vietnam - strage location for a team holiday. Different.

Was it not South Africa!?

Shit - a big black one ? Doesn't bear thinking about.  ;)

He was in South Africa when he had to cum home to tell the family, Vietnam when he was bumping and grinding with some feller.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

heffo

Quote from: orangeman on October 24, 2009, 02:50:58 PM
Quote from: Minder on October 24, 2009, 02:33:51 PM
Vietnam

Was yer man a Vietnamese ?

I don't think anyone, with the possible exception of young Reillers wants to know the answer to that.

Minder

I wonder what the dynamic/mood was in the showers after a match. I would be showering in the house if i was on that panel.

Minder

Tatler Jack

Quote from: Minder on October 25, 2009, 01:43:08 AM
I would say Big Dan is delighted..........

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8324347.stm

Think he should be making a call to his solicitor!!

dowling

Was there no insight into the strike during the interview?

Reillers

Quote from: dowling on October 25, 2009, 10:23:32 AM

No, strangely enough, while it still remains an obsession for some, like yourself, they had other things to talk about.

gallsman

Quote from: Reillers on October 25, 2009, 10:44:49 AM

No, strangely enough, while it still remains an obsession for some, like yourself, they had other things to talk about.

Wow, I thought everyone was going over the top with their piss-ripping, but you really are blinded. The strikes are some of the biggest issues to have hit the GAA in the last ten years, and Cusack has been instrumental in them, yet you suggest that it's not worth discussing?!

dowling

Strangely enough indeed Reillers and I've just watched the interview on the net. Obviously his sexuality was highlighted and nothing wrong with this or to use this as a selling point for the book but I'd say in the GAA world more people would be interested in what he has to say in relation to his disputes in Cork and his involvement in the GPA. Many might already have their minds made up as there's already a lot of information out there but it will be interesting to see if he acknowledges anything which previously he hasn't and what general spin he puts on everything. Let's be honest he didn't come accross as a bastard on the Late Late but it was a book promotion and I'd say RTE were restricted to what matters they could raise although I'd like to hear Gerald's take on what Donal said he said. The reading of the book on these type of matters should tell us more about his honesty and integrity. When you think about it, it seems the only player to come into direct conflict with Gerald was Donal óg so you have to wonder if he was the chief instigator in all the disputes and if he'll throw any light on that. But you also have to remember that it wasn't that long ago that Donal was saying the Cork disputes and the GPA weren't looking pay for play but at the same time him and Dessie were doing a feasibility study on that very prospect.

Reillers

Quote from: dowling on October 25, 2009, 12:33:27 PM
Strangely enough indeed Reillers and I've just watched the interview on the net. Obviously his sexuality was highlighted and nothing wrong with this or to use this as a selling point for the book but I'd say in the GAA world more people would be interested in what he has to say in relation to his disputes in Cork and his involvement in the GPA. Many might already have their minds made up as there's already a lot of information out there but it will be interesting to see if he acknowledges anything which previously he hasn't and what general spin he puts on everything. Let's be honest he didn't come accross as a b**tard on the Late Late but it was a book promotion and I'd say RTE were restricted to what matters they could raise although I'd like to hear Gerald's take on what Donal said he said. The reading of the book on these type of matters should tell us more about his honesty and integrity. When you think about it, it seems the only player to come into direct conflict with Gerald was Donal óg so you have to wonder if he was the chief instigator in all the disputes and if he'll throw any light on that. But you also have to remember that it wasn't that long ago that Donal was saying the Cork disputes and the GPA weren't looking pay for play but at the same time him and Dessie were doing a feasibility study on that very prospect.

And on that note, a quote from the Sunday Mail..

When we left that fifth meeting, I said to Gardiner "Listen, if the worst came to the very worst, I could maybe live with Gerald. I could bear him". And John said: "Thats okay for you! You are a goalie, you're off doing your own stuff. We can't come down every session and put up with it. Three or four days of our week. That's how often that we are dealing with it"

From the start, too, I was surprised at how strong the group were against Gerald and his selectors and how they were willing to go to resist it. We held a meeting after we had sat down with the County Board for the fifth time. I honestly didn't know if I would have the belly for more conflict but the basic mood in the meeting was that something had to be done

Doesn't sound like he's that much of a leader of it, from that quote, that you make him out to be. But I'm sure you'll find a reason to slag him anyway.

And Gerald was brought up, but it was clear there was only one thing Tubridy was interested in. And if he'd been given restrictions to what he could ask, which I'm 90% sure he wouldn't have. The man hasn't a clue about sport and I'd say he had to look up who Gerald McCarthy was before hand.
It's not like he could have asked the questions you wanted to hear, and like I said if there were restrictions that meant some sort of research went into it, which doesn't look likely when you look at the f**k up he made asking about the "All Ireland semi final." I mean clearly he didn't spend much time on it.
There was always only going to be one thing that was going to be asked, seeing as Tubirdy hasn't a fkin clue about GAA.

You say that the GAA world, more people would have been intersted in him talking about the strikes and the GPA and what not, but look where he wasn't. Tubridy hadn't a clue.

I suppose what else to expect from the Late Late. I mean this is the same show that put together that shambolic, abysmal, pathetic so called GAA special for the 125 years. It was the biggest joke of a show I've ever had to sit through.
It was always going to be based around the fact that he said he was gay.

The GAA

Strangely enough indeed Reillers and I've just watched the interview on the net. Obviously his sexuality was highlighted and nothing wrong with this or to use this as a selling point for the book but I'd say in the GAA world more people would be interested in what he has to say in relation to his disputes in Cork and his involvement in the GPA. Many might already have their minds made up as there's already a lot of information out there but it will be interesting to see if he acknowledges anything which previously he hasn't and what general spin he puts on everything. Let's be honest he didn't come accross as a b**tard on the Late Late but it was a book promotion and I'd say RTE were restricted to what matters they could raise although I'd like to hear Gerald's take on what Donal said he said. The reading of the book on these type of matters should tell us more about his honesty and integrity. When you think about it, it seems the only player to come into direct conflict with Gerald was Donal óg so you have to wonder if he was the chief instigator in all the disputes and if he'll throw any light on that. But you also have to remember that it wasn't that long ago that Donal was saying the Cork disputes and the GPA weren't looking pay for play but at the same time him and Dessie were doing a feasibility study on that very prospect.

So you're saying that the cork dispute was about pay for play, even though the feasability study you refer to in linking the two was done many years before?

orangeman

Was this a runner at all ?

DONAL óg Cusack says he was offered the role of coach of the Cork hurlers by GAA chief executive, Paraic Duffy, earlier this year in an attempt to end the last of three players' strikes.

In the latest extract from his upcoming autobiography, Come What May, Cusack revealed that Duffy had made contact with him in order to set up a confidential meeting between the pair wherein it was suggested that the Cork county board would be put into a state of "suspended animation" and the affairs of the county would be run by Croke Park.

Duffy also put forward the proposal that Cusack be appointed to the Rebels' management team in an effort to insert some player presence in the group.

"That night myself and John (Gardiner) had arrived at the hotel first to meet with the Croke Park people," Cusack wrote. "They had produced a document that laid out what was going to happen over the next couple of years. The document basically outlined a position where the county board would be put into suspended animation and Cork's affairs would be run from Croke Park."

"We read all this out and said, 'Oh Jesus, we need to get the boys in here because there is some stuff in this document that is big'.

"It looked so bad to the county board and apparently, they were accepting it, even though it was a damning indictment of them. What the GAA had put on the table that night was interesting in that it damned the county board. They published the document afterwards, but the one thing they held back was that they offered me a role coaching the team!"

However, Cusack also outlines why the player rejected the deal, even though it suspended the powers of the board. According to the Rebel keeper, some of the senior players on the squad felt a move from playing to management for Cusack would "kill" him in the ongoing battle between the squad and the county board.

"Some of our players liked what was on offer but I wasn't comfortable with the idea. Joe Deane was very strong on the notion that it would be a way of killing me. At the end of the day, I had to face Paraic Duffy and tell him that there was no deal. I hated doing that to Paraic Duffy, as I have had to do it too many times at this stage."

dowling

Quote from: The GAA on October 25, 2009, 03:39:55 PM

So you're saying that the cork dispute was about pay for play, even though the feasability study you refer to in linking the two was done many years before?

Actually I'm saying what Donal óg said, that the disputes and the GPA weren't about 'pay for play'. Gerald McCarthy seemed to think there was a link with the strike and the 'pay' thing so now that Donal óg has acknowledged the GPA would like money for playing, and that's been their private position for some time, perhaps Gerald's  'fears' should be given more credence.

As for yourself Reillers fair enough, I think we can all agree that Gardiner and Donal were very close during all this. But when you read back to the dispute, Donal and Gerald had issues over the puck outs, but where were all the other personal issues or were there none?

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: gallsman on October 25, 2009, 12:30:11 PM
Quote from: Reillers on October 25, 2009, 10:44:49 AM

Wow, I thought everyone was going over the top with their piss-ripping, but you really are blinded. The strikes are some of the biggest issues to have hit the GAA in the last ten years, and Cusack has been instrumental in them, yet you suggest that it's not worth discussing?!

Cusack was on the Late Late Show for one reason and one reason only, because he came out as gay, he wasn't there for hurling reasons, the strike was not a big talking point.

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: gallsman on October 24, 2009, 04:27:38 PM
Quote from: Galwaybhoy on October 24, 2009, 02:44:40 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on October 24, 2009, 11:57:47 AM
Quote from: Reillers on October 24, 2009, 09:22:29 AM
It was a great interview, and fair dues to him. He's earned a lot of haters respect tonight and that's blatantly clear. I've said it before that this lad is made of steel but tonight he just showed how much so.

He's a tough, tough man.  I haven't seen a better performance in a TV interview for a very long time, even though it was clear that Turbridy hadn't much of a clue about the hurling side of it.
It gave a good insight into why he's been such a leader for Cork in the past, and will continue to be. Very proud of him tonight.

It was a very powerful performance and it was clear all right that he was nervous at the start, but he settled into it very well and came across brilliantly. The best I've seen him in an interview that I can recall. Fantastic stuff.

The courage he showed, and his blunt honesty was fantastic.

But at the end of all of that, and despite all that, you just know that he'll get hell next season on and off the pitch....
There'll be some mighty abuse thrown at him. And he can take it, he's a strong character clearly, I just hope that ther'll be people in the stands who will shut the minority up.

Never been so proud of the lad. Showed great guts tonight.

Certainly didn't earn my respect. The audience seemed determined to cheer any suggestion of Donal Og's dad been put in his place. First GAA star I've heard yet being able to regale us with his one night stand exploits... but it is politically incorrect to complain lest you be accused of homophobia. Then a wee story about his cheating. Does it not cross his mind he was booed because he is an obnoxious, self obsessed bollox?... doing GAA -GAY interviews now for Channel 4 and Daily  Mail...media whure.  You're proud of him Reileers? God help you and the rest of Cork if that is your hero. He gives me the creeps.         

Yeah he should have kept quiet about changing the balls.  If any other hurler was on the Late Late Show or if being gay wasn't the topic of the day then there would have been a lot more made of this.  But it will be ignored now.

I would also rather if he didn't get into the nitty gritty about his exploits with other men.  Don't want to be hearing that.

That said it took guts to go on TV.  He will probably suffer loads of abuse now, which is awful but then many other players have to put up with that as well.

Then don't listen.

Strange, unlike you I cant read the future so didn't know he was going to mention it or talk in such detail about his sexual exploits.  ::)