Donal Og's Book

Started by passedit, October 18, 2009, 11:24:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reillers

Quote from: theskull1 on October 26, 2009, 06:09:14 PM
There are hateful self interested hetrosexuals and hateful self interested homosexuals. The fact that Donal Og is homosexual doesn't change the way alot of people think of him i.e. hateful & self interested.

I do think though that those who do consider him a hateful self interested individual will be labelled homophobic by his adoring fans, so coming out will actually provide him with a layer of protection from the real reasons why people can't abide him and what he stands for.
Oh grow up, do you have to have a go with him every single time. Maybe there are some morons out there (apparently, according to you anyway) who can't tell the difference between loathing hate and homobhobic hate.
People who shout, "He's gay, he's bent, Donal Og's for rent.." from the stands will be considered homobhobic idiots. People who shout the normal level of abusive crap at him (or any other player for that matter, from any other team) will just be considered abusive idiots.

Because it's never ok to abuse a player the way some certain people do in the stands, and Donal Og to be fair gets a lot of it, but he's tough as they come. Roaring abuse that make them look like idiots, like English soccer fans at times.

I'm sorry if him coming out has inconvenienced the idiots, apparently, by the way you're talking, that includes yourself, I mean why else would you even post something like that, or have that come to mind..not something the average normal GAA man would think of..) who shout horrible abuse, (I mean God forbid that should stop) I'm sure you'll find more interesting ways to roar your abuse..sure why not give the soccer a try, you'd fit in well there.

heffo

imtommygunn

Reillers you don't strike me as a man who would be averse to shouted abuse yourself...

theskull1

Quote from: Reillers on October 26, 2009, 07:14:43 PM
I'm sorry if him coming out has inconvenienced the idiots, apparently, by the way you're talking, that includes yourself, I mean why else would you even post something like that, or have that come to mind..not something the average normal GAA man would think of..) who shout horrible abuse, (I mean God forbid that should stop) I'm sure you'll find more interesting ways to roar your abuse..sure why not give the soccer a try, you'd fit in well there.

Jesus Reillers you really let that little mind run away on you......where in my post did I refer to anyone hurling "horrible abuse" towards any player on a hurling pitch as acceptable???
I wouldn't because I find that whole practice despicable.

You're actually proving my point for me.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

ludermor

apologies if this has been posted before.
http://www.oxygen.ie/page/2649
In a shock revelation, homosexual Donal Og O'Cusack has stunned the Gay community by coming out as a GAA player.

The 32 year old gay man revealed in his forthcoming biography that he has in fact spent many years playing as a hurling goal-keeper on the Cork County Team.

Cusack tells in his autobiography of how he dabbled with GAA early on in his life, and settled into the hurling lifestyle soon after. He kept this silent from his gay friends who never questioned why he was always talking about "going down to the field."

In one episode Cusack tells of how he rushed back to Ireland early from a training exercise in Africa to tell some of his closest gay friends at the George in Dublin that the rumours of him being a hurler were in fact true.

The gay man told The Spanner that "it was better to hear it from me than they see it on the Sunday Game if they were ever to be flicking through channels and see me."

"Homosexuality was traditionally one of the few GAA free places left in Ireland," says Homer Sexual, head of the Gay-lic Alliance Association (the other GAA) "we were all shocked by Donal's decision to go public with his hurling. We wish him the best in future and hope he brings up back pictures from the changing rooms."

Not all gays are proving as supportive however. "How dare he?" fumed one angry man on Dublin's Georges Street."He thinks he can just casually reveal he spent years running around with all those other hurdling boys in shorts and we'll just continue to accept him as if everything's ok?"

"Being a gay in Ireland requires years of dedicated hardwork and preparation. You can't just play with the straight boys all day then pop over for cosmos and mickeys after work.

"Has he got all Britney's albums? Has he ever voted for someone on the Xfactor? I doubt he even knows what night bingo is on."

theCritic

brave move but hope it works out

orangeman

Big award for Donal Og's book :

Dónal Óg Cusack's autobiography Come What May, with Tom Humphries, has won the Williamhill.com Irish Sports Book of the Year for 2009.

Cusack's book beat off stiff competition from Damian Lawlor's Working on a Dream and Kieran Shannon's Hanging from the Rafters, which came second and third respectively.

Cusack's book was one of the most anticipated publications of the year. Written with journalist Tom Humphries, the book details Cusack's life from his upbringing in Cork through his three All-Ireland successes, his role in some of the most groundbreaking decisions in GAA history and his struggles to be true to himself.

Come What May was also the public's choice for Williamhill.com Irish Sports Book of the Year with over 5,000 votes registered on the official website.

Donal Og Cusack said in the aftermath of the award: 'Taking the decision to write this book was a difficult one, but once I decided, I knew it had to be an honest account of my life.

'An essential part of this process was Tom Humphries' skill and dedication to the project and his outrageous sense of humour which made the process less onerous, I would like to thank him sincerely.

'Since publication, I have been overwhelmed with the response the book has received both here and abroad. Winning this award is a great honour for me and I would like to thank the judges and the general public for choosing my book from such a strong shortlist.

'I would also like to take this opportunity to thank my family, friends, team-mates and work colleagues for their unwavering support in the last number of years.'

Tom Humphries said: 'To have been named in such a shortlist was a thrill and any prize for Come What May is a bonus and an honour in that company.

'For me though the enduring rewards are the privilege I feel at having been asked to walk a few steps of Dónal Óg's journey with him, the welcome and the kindness of his family and gaining the friendship of an extraordinary man.'

Tony Kenny, PR Manager for William Hill, believes: Come What May is a worthy winner of this year's award. He said: 'The quality of the award this year was outstanding, especially when you look at some of the books that didn't even make the shortlist.

'Donal Og's book is an excellently told story of a person with a huge dedication to their sport and someone who wasn't afraid to put themselves forward as a role model to many in sport and life not just in Ireland but across the world.'

This year's judging panel is made up of ten of Ireland's best sports commentators and experts. The panel includes RTE rugby pundit and Newstalk presenter George Hook, RTE's Eamon Dunphy, Today FM and TV3 presenter Matt Cooper and Setanta Sports' Paul Dempsey

Asal Mor

Well done Donal Og. Just reading the book now - it's outstanding.

Doogie Browser

Did anyone see the BBC Inside Sport show 'The Last Taboo' recently?  It was about homosexuality in sport and more particulary looking at why no soccer players have came out (exception of Justin Fashanu).  Included interviews with amongst others Martina Navratilova, Gareth Edwards and Donal Og.  I am sure it will be on the BBC iPlayer if you checked as it was on very late at night.

Two Hands FFS

£4.99 in easons now. Good book.

Reillers

Quote from: Doogie Browser on June 30, 2010, 02:10:26 PM
Did anyone see the BBC Inside Sport show 'The Last Taboo' recently?  It was about homosexuality in sport and more particulary looking at why no soccer players have came out (exception of Justin Fashanu).  Included interviews with amongst others Martina Navratilova, Gareth Edwards and Donal Og.  I am sure it will be on the BBC iPlayer if you checked as it was on very late at night.

Saw a bit of it, don't think you can get it on the BBC Iplayer, I think it's the same as ITV, you have to be England. Maybe I'm wrong I don't know.

It's an excellent book in fairness, changed a lot of peoples mind about him.

muppet

Quote from: Two Hands FFS on June 30, 2010, 02:32:31 PM
£4.99 in easons now. Good book.

Two hands FFS can I just ask, what do you use the two hands for?
MWWSI 2017

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Doogie Browser on June 30, 2010, 02:10:26 PM

Never knew Gareth Edwards was gay.

Minder

I think he means Gareth Thomas.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Minder on June 30, 2010, 10:44:37 PM
I think he means Gareth Thomas.

Does he? Bit careless. It's like saying that Willie Nelson and Willie McCrea are the same person because they both like to sing a few bars of a song.