Derren Brown - UK Lotto

Started by Shortso79, September 09, 2009, 10:47:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nutsy--1

give the man a bit of credit. he does kinda shit to mess with your head and certainly messes with mine at times.

orangeman

Quote from: nutsy--1 on September 10, 2009, 09:40:54 AM
give the man a bit of credit. he does kinda shit to mess with your head and certainly messes with mine at times.

True but some of it is way out.

Like he can tell you what star sign you are, give him an initial of your name and he'll give you your full name, where you're from etc etc.

C_Berg_316

Quote from: cornerback on September 10, 2009, 08:51:16 AM
Of course it was a trick but the fun is in trying to work out what the trick is... i'd be very surprised if it was a simple camera trick, but maybe i'm giving him more credit than he deserves!!

Do you not remember is horse racing 'scam'.... he successfully predicted the outcome of 5 races for a woman to bet on, but he'd actually covered every single outcome...

explanined better here:

http://www.lottery-guy.com/lgblog/derren-brown-reveals-secret-of-lottery-system-scams/

What Derren did was take a woman at random and feed her horse racing predictions. She was aware that she was part of an experiment, and that 'The System' was supposed to be a way to guarantee picking winners every time at horse racing.

For the first race she was given a winner and told to just watch the race. Once the predicted winner rode home her confidence was visibly boosted. The next race her own money was at risk. To her great excitement, she won again. A third and fourth time turned her into a firm believer that The System was real, and completely proven. After all, four winners out of four races, what are the chances of that?

The System Explained

For the fifth race, our lucky winner got to meet the creator of The System. And here's where Derren revealed to her how it all worked. No, he wasn't psychic or the discoverer of some mathematical miracle. Neither was he plain lucky or working with secret stable insider information. It was simply a con. A well carried out con.

Her perception was that The System worked because she won every race. But this was only her perception, and that of the viewer with the information revealed so far. The reality however was very different. Because she was not the only person in the experiment. In fact, thousands of people all believed they were the only one! Derren had simply covered every possible outcome. The thousands of people who had been allocated the losing horses in race one were simply thrown out with apologies, while all those given the horse that won moved on to race 2. Then Derren simply split them down again between all the horses running, and again only kept those that it turned out had been given the horse that won. Repeated over race three and four, there was just one very happy woman remaining - and thousands of not so happy people who knew The System did not work as promised.

Atfer she 'lumped' on the final race though and the horse lost, he had still picked and backed the winner and he gaev her the winnings!
thats the crack she said with one leg up above on the table

nifan

QuoteAtfer she 'lumped' on the final race though and the horse lost, he had still picked and backed the winner and he gaev her the winnings!

Id say he had backed them all.

full back

Cant believe anyone thinks he is for real

Dont know how he did it, but it is an illusion/trick

The odds of picking the winning numbers are 13.9 million or something like that so he didnt guess them either

As one of the spokemen from the large bookies said yesterday, he will give his monthly wage to charity if Brown didnt pick the winning numbers

Maroon Heaven

When he said that Channel 4 could not show the numbers until BBC had drawn the official Lottery numbers - You know something is up.

What obilgation does C4 have to stop someone showing preceived lottery numbers. If they were that confident why didn't they display the numbers in a distance even instead of having them turned around and hiden. Also why no live audience to see this miracle

Either 1 of three things

1. A spit screen on the TV with a holding pic of the "ping pong balls"
2. Some form of lazer which could burn an image onto the balls of the chosen numbers
3. An instrument inside the balls which made the numbers appear

Number one for me

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: Maroon Heaven on September 10, 2009, 10:43:30 AM
When he said that Channel 4 could not show the numbers until BBC had drawn the official Lottery numbers - You know something is up.

What obilgation does C4 have to stop someone showing preceived lottery numbers. If they were that confident why didn't they display the numbers in a distance even instead of having them turned around and hiden. Also why no live audience to see this miracle

Either 1 of three things

1. A spit screen on the TV with a holding pic of the "ping pong balls"
2. Some form of lazer which could burn an image onto the balls of the chosen numbers
3. An instrument inside the balls which made the numbers appear

Number one for me

I was thinking that too.  Any numbers that he would have shown before the loot actually took place would have been a prediction.  Its not illegal to show predictions for the lotto or anything else I would say, so I'd say something was up here.  Its still a great trick though.

Maroon Heaven

ludermor

nifan

Quote from: Madge on September 10, 2009, 10:34:28 AM
She had the docket in her hand the whole time though and was only after the race that she looked at it to see he had wrote the horse that on down and not the one that she thought she had backed.

Erm is that not exactly the sort of thing he does. The point is he cant predict horses, why would he not use another trick here?

Main Street

There is no time delay.
I have watched the You Tube clip quite a few times.
I turned off the volume.
If this is mere what you'd call camera trickery then any film editor could do it.
Has to be something which has a bit of illusionary class to it otherwise it would be an anti climax
So far I'm suspicious about

other person on stage
no studio audience
Studio camera is jerking around so much as to inspire motion sickness.
Hand over mouth during which time he remains relatively still and camera is less shaky.
Dark studio
shiny reflective floor
Old TV
wafer thin balls

He has created the illusion that he has predicted the lottery numbers and we are waiting for the numbers to pop up.
He has also created the illusion that there is a stand/plynth nearby, containing a tray with a white base, 2 legs coming from the base to hold a dark tray with 5 very light white balls.
Why do I not believe him ?
Hologram?

nifan

Just saw it again.
I think he is doing something with his right arm.
When the draw starts he is waving both arms around. Then it starts and I dont see his right arm or hand at all - his left is over his mouth, and his right supposedly holding the board. I suspect he is selecting labels or something with his right hand - not sure how he would get them on the balls.

I always thought it was odd looking on the ad where he is juggling one handed that his other arm stayed so still - if it is this that could be a clue?

Galwaybhoy

Dont think that would work nifan.  He is holding the board so I don't know how he could sort labels (49 or so labels) that quickly without moving the board and making it obvious.  Then it would be impossible to put them on the balls that quickly.

I have no idea myself but it seems like a great trick, cant wait to see how he done it, though it will probably be a let down.

C_Berg_316

I wonder how many people will use the same numbers sat?  Looking forward to watching the show tommorrow night.
Its really all obviously just a publicity stunt and it has worked as ive heard a load of people in work the
day on about it.  Another point is why did he have to write down the numbers at all on that piece of card?
He had predicted them so he would have knew the order - why not just leave the TV on showing them in numerical
order and turn his numbers on the white balls round at the same time with both the TV and the white balls in shot?
thats the crack she said with one leg up above on the table

nifan

Quote from: Galwaybhoy on September 10, 2009, 03:11:24 PM
Dont think that would work nifan.  He is holding the board so I don't know how he could sort labels (49 or so labels) that quickly without moving the board and making it obvious.  Then it would be impossible to put them on the balls that quickly.

49 labels doesnt seem like that many - magicians are used to manipulating decks of cards for their tricks for example.
No idea how he would get them on the balls-  but he must have got them on somehow - he didnt predict it!