Derren Brown - UK Lotto

Started by Shortso79, September 09, 2009, 10:47:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Galwaybhoy

ziggysego

Derren says everything he does is a trick, never claims otherwises. We'll find out Friday out.
Testing Accessibility

Galwaybhoy

He should just have bought a ticket for crying out loud!  ;D

I wonder whats the trick.

rosnarun

i didnt see it  but if i get the drirft here he predicted the numbers after the draw was made and powple are wondering is he for real?
we probably watched it on the tv same as everyone else . or what did he he promised he didn't?
Tv 'magiicians cheat and have no compution about it . My Favorite was david copperfield in front of a largw live audience making the space shuttle disappear .
How ?
he moved the camera to look at a different spot and the whole crowd were in on it .think he used the same trick to make the Taj Majhal disappear too
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

ONeill

Working out how he did it is a bit o craic.

Even though I don't believe he'll tell us the truth, or all of it, that covering of his mouth and the way he held the board during the numbers may have something to do with it. He's not into digital trickery so I'd doubt some kind of split screen codding.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

pintsofguinness

If you'd the ability to predict the lotto numbers would you actually go on tv just to show you could do it?

Nope, don't be silly.  YOu'd be busy spending your millions.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

The Gs Man

Quote from: ONeill on September 10, 2009, 12:04:44 AM
He's not into digital trickery so I'd doubt some kind of split screen codding.

Or mirrors!
Keep 'er lit

leenie

Quote from: rosnarun on September 10, 2009, 12:00:30 AM
i didnt see it  but if i get the drirft here he predicted the numbers after the draw was made and powple are wondering is he for real?
we probably watched it on the tv same as everyone else . or what did he he promised he didn't?
Tv 'magiicians cheat and have no compution about it . My Favorite was david copperfield in front of a largw live audience making the space shuttle disappear .
How ?
he moved the camera to look at a different spot and the whole crowd were in on it .think he used the same trick to make the Taj Majhal disappear too

he had 6 balls on a glass shelf/stand beside a t.v... he then watched the lotto the same as the rest of us can... all the while the balls were still in camera shot... he then wrote down the no's went to the balls he had predicted and turned them around and wa-la they were the same!
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

ziggysego

Did a man dressed as a gorilla run on and change the balls?
Testing Accessibility

ONeill

Here, watch that youtube clip again. As he's doing it keep an eye on the ball on the far left as he is writing the numbers down. As he writes 23 and 28 on his card, do you see that ball move slightly upwards?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Galwaybhoy

I think we're just going to have to wait until Friday and even then he probably wont give us a full explanation.

Main Street

It's a worthless prediction if you haven't time to buy a ticket.

Capt Pat

Some sort of a blue screen trick was involved, I would think it was simple enough for tv people. Why does he have to write down the numbers at the end. That creates a delay, time for someone to change the balls. That is why he didn't do it in front of a studio audience. If not ball one could have come out and he could have turned around his ball at the same time likewise  for ball 2 and 3 etc, but he didn't he waited for the draw to end and then wrote down the numbers himslef on a piece of cardboard.

cornerback

Of course it was a trick but the fun is in trying to work out what the trick is... i'd be very surprised if it was a simple camera trick, but maybe i'm giving him more credit than he deserves!!

Do you not remember is horse racing 'scam'.... he successfully predicted the outcome of 5 races for a woman to bet on, but he'd actually covered every single outcome...

explanined better here:

http://www.lottery-guy.com/lgblog/derren-brown-reveals-secret-of-lottery-system-scams/

What Derren did was take a woman at random and feed her horse racing predictions. She was aware that she was part of an experiment, and that 'The System' was supposed to be a way to guarantee picking winners every time at horse racing.

For the first race she was given a winner and told to just watch the race. Once the predicted winner rode home her confidence was visibly boosted. The next race her own money was at risk. To her great excitement, she won again. A third and fourth time turned her into a firm believer that The System was real, and completely proven. After all, four winners out of four races, what are the chances of that?

The System Explained

For the fifth race, our lucky winner got to meet the creator of The System. And here's where Derren revealed to her how it all worked. No, he wasn't psychic or the discoverer of some mathematical miracle. Neither was he plain lucky or working with secret stable insider information. It was simply a con. A well carried out con.

Her perception was that The System worked because she won every race. But this was only her perception, and that of the viewer with the information revealed so far. The reality however was very different. Because she was not the only person in the experiment. In fact, thousands of people all believed they were the only one! Derren had simply covered every possible outcome. The thousands of people who had been allocated the losing horses in race one were simply thrown out with apologies, while all those given the horse that won moved on to race 2. Then Derren simply split them down again between all the horses running, and again only kept those that it turned out had been given the horse that won. Repeated over race three and four, there was just one very happy woman remaining - and thousands of not so happy people who knew The System did not work as promised.

Clown

once he said he couldnt reveal his own numbers until after the lotto results were out the whole shock factor of the show extinguished