Paul Grimley goes to Monaghan

Started by Carbery, September 02, 2009, 09:31:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 02, 2009, 01:48:20 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on September 02, 2009, 01:43:46 PM
Good luck to Paul, he's got his own back on the armagh county board but has also kicked his own county in the balls.  I might be wrong but I can't help feeling he knew exactly what he was doing, just like the ones who shafted him a few years ago he's allowed personal difference get in the way of what's best for the county. That's makes him no better than them in my eyes.

I think there was a certain amount of brinkmanship in the way he dealt with it.  It is obvious that there discussions behind the scenes.  it was an open secret that he was the number one candidate.  Apparently there was a meeting over the weekend where he outlined his agenda and it was not acceptable by the CB.  They may have had very valid reasons for their approach, and I cannot speculate on what he put forward, but I was informed that the issue of funding was a major stumbling block the last time and it may have been an issue this time around. He tried to call the CB's bluff this time round and they didn't bite.

One of the versions of the fallout from 2007 has it that Grimley had secured fudning for his plans for development of the team, albeit that the funding would be coming from a different source than previously.

THough i don't know the man, I find it very hard to believe that Grimley told a complete lie to the Tribune.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Logan

Quote from: mackers on September 02, 2009, 02:55:50 PM
While Seany is going too far for me, Grimley has to understand what he has done here has a major impact on supporters and players who had high hopes for the next few years under his leadership. I hope that he has damned good reasons for this. According to the BBC News at lunchtime Armagh are going to continue to persuade Grimley to take the job...............we'll see.

Note -
There's been NO confirmation Grimley is out of the race
There's been NO confirmation Grimley is with Monaghan

I'd not be surprised to see a twist yet.

But I kind of agree with Seany ... if Grimley does go it looks poorly in my opinion on him.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Carbery on September 02, 2009, 09:31:54 AM
Grimley in surprise Monaghan move
Paul Grimley has been named as the new assistant manager with Monaghan after turning down the chance of becoming boss of his native Armagh.
Grimley was the favourite to succeed Peter McDonnell in the Orchard post after quitting as assistant to Kieran McGeeney at Kildare.
His surprise appointment came just hours after Seamus McEnaney decided to remain as Farney manager.
McEnaney considered quitting after the All-Ireland qualifier defeat by Derry.
He informed the county board of his decision to take charge for a sixth consecutive year on Tuesday evening.
Marty McElkennon, who had been strongly linked with a move to Derry, is staying on as team trainer.
Grimley was Armagh assistant boss during Joe Kernan's reign and he was pipped for the top job by McDonnell in 2007.
The Pearse Og man is currently coaching Monaghan side Clontibret and has guided them to the county club semi-finals.

BBC Sport

Just noticed that the BBC story quoted above says that Paul Grimley has already been named as part of the Monaghan set-up.

The story on BBC now only goes as far as to say that he is "set to be named" as McEnaney's assistant. Could be an important but subtle change.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/8233260.stm
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Abble

the bbc is gettin worse than the sun....
i'm thinking now about the paddy bradley quittin incident this summer.. :o

mackers

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on September 02, 2009, 03:05:11 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 02, 2009, 01:48:20 PM
Good luck to Paul, he's got his own back on the armagh county board but has also kicked his own county in the balls.  I might be wrong but I can't help feeling he knew exactly what he was doing, just like the ones who shafted him a few years ago he's allowed personal difference get in the way of what's best for the county. That's makes him no better than them in my eyes.

I think there was a certain amount of brinkmanship in the way he dealt with it.  It is obvious that there discussions behind the scenes.  it was an open secret that he was the number one candidate.  Apparently there was a meeting over the weekend where he outlined his agenda and it was not acceptable by the CB.  They may have had very valid reasons for their approach, and I cannot speculate on what he put forward, but I was informed that the issue of funding was a major stumbling block the last time and it may have been an issue this time around. He tried to call the CB's bluff this time round and they didn't bite.

One of the versions of the fallout from 2007 has it that Grimley had secured fudning for his plans for development of the team, albeit that the funding would be coming from a different source than previously.

THough i don't know the man, I find it very hard to believe that Grimley told a complete lie to the Tribune.
100% correct TAM, he had his own financial backers lined up as he knew that Morgan would pull the plug.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Logan

That wasn't the case this time though with Morgan

Seany

No, I'm not Paddy Óg and I don't have insider information other than that which I have been told by genuine reliable sources from inside the county board executive. 

I rate Grimley highly and was really looking forward to seeing him take on Armagh.  i reallly felt he was the man.

I am just totally pissed off with him.

It's obvious that it's all about money.  We have all been hoodwinked.

JMohan

Monaghan can't have more money than Armagh?

lynchbhoy

Quote from: JMohan on September 02, 2009, 04:19:02 PM
didnt they 'find gold in them thar hills' in Monaghan in the last couple of years?

Schkite

Quote from: lynchbhoy on September 02, 2009, 05:01:30 PM
Quote from: JMohan on September 02, 2009, 04:19:02 PM
didnt they 'find gold in them thar hills' in Monaghan in the last couple of years?

Aye, in Clontibret, coincidentally the same club Grimley is coaching!  :o

stew

Bitterly disappointed by Grimley's actions here, I think he would have been better served being Armagh Manager than Monaghans number 2 but this looks like he tried to embarass the co board after he thought they embarassed him a couple of years ago. Two wrongs dont make a right and now we will never know what he could have done as our county manager.

If I was McGeeney I would be pissed at him unless he knew that Grimley would be number one there in Monaghan after they get bounced out early next year.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

orangeman

Quote from: stew on September 02, 2009, 05:08:19 PM

Bitterly disappointed by Grimley's actions here, I think he would have been better served being Armagh Manager than Monaghans number 2 but this looks like he tried to embarass the co board after he thought they embarassed him a couple of years ago. Two wrongs dont make a right and now we will never know what he could have done as our county manager.

If I was McGeeney I would be pissed at him unless he knew that Grimley would be number one there in Monaghan after they get bounced out early next year.

Sounds like one big managerial game to me.

winsamsoon

You see lads now our sport is becomming like soccer and incidents like these are only further evidence to keep money out of our game. In the past two years we have had Mc Geeney taking over in Kildare, Now we see Kernan the man who would never leave linked with Galway and Grimley. Now i am not personally attacking these lads for doing this as they would each have ther own reasons. But what i am saying is that losing these three characters from any county is a massive loss.

These 3 men should be at the helm of Armagh football, these are the men that people would look up to. Instead we see them going to other counties promoting the game and competiting with their own county. The county board should have been bending over backwards to keep men like this but  only if they wanted to stay. some responsibilty must lie with the men themselves.

I don't know what these guys are getting promised and most of the stuff on here is pure speculation but surely it is a question of morals. Kernan comes out and states "i couldn't manage any other county" so what has changed??? We have a lot of good lads coming through and in the aftermath of the All Ireland we had  great chance to build and go forward. In many ways we have gone backwards. This monetary involvement in football is turning it into a farce.I really can't see how anyones heart could be in managing another county. Really the High levels at the GAA need to take a close look at this before the organistion that we all love goes beyond the point of no return.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

Maguire01

This is an interesting one. And no doubt it will run for a while yet.
It makes for a crowded Monaghan sideline next year.

Maguire01

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on September 02, 2009, 03:14:09 PM
Quote from: Carbery on September 02, 2009, 09:31:54 AM
Grimley in surprise Monaghan move
Paul Grimley has been named as the new assistant manager with Monaghan after turning down the chance of becoming boss of his native Armagh.
Grimley was the favourite to succeed Peter McDonnell in the Orchard post after quitting as assistant to Kieran McGeeney at Kildare.
His surprise appointment came just hours after Seamus McEnaney decided to remain as Farney manager.
McEnaney considered quitting after the All-Ireland qualifier defeat by Derry.
He informed the county board of his decision to take charge for a sixth consecutive year on Tuesday evening.
Marty McElkennon, who had been strongly linked with a move to Derry, is staying on as team trainer.
Grimley was Armagh assistant boss during Joe Kernan's reign and he was pipped for the top job by McDonnell in 2007.
The Pearse Og man is currently coaching Monaghan side Clontibret and has guided them to the county club semi-finals.

BBC Sport

Just noticed that the BBC story quoted above says that Paul Grimley has already been named as part of the Monaghan set-up.

The story on BBC now only goes as far as to say that he is "set to be named" as McEnaney's assistant. Could be an important but subtle change.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/8233260.stm

Yet RTÉ are reporting it like so:

McEnaney to be joined by Grimley

Seamus McEnaney will remain in charge of Monaghan next year and will be joined by Paul Grimley
Wednesday, 2 September 2009 12:22
Monaghan football manager Seamus McEnaney will be joined by Paul Grimley as he continues at the helm next season, it has been revealed.

Monaghan County Board chairman John Connolly revealed that McEnaney's management team will be joined by the manager of club side Clontibert next year.

Grimley quit his post as Kildare selector earlier this week and was being linked with a return to his native Armagh.

Long serving boss McEnaney, along with trainer Marty McElkennon, confirmed to Connolly yesterday that he will remain in charge for a sixth season.

'Seamus is staying on, he had a long and hard think about things and came up with the answer we hoped he would,' Connolly said in the Irish Examiner.