Paul Grimley goes to Monaghan

Started by Carbery, September 02, 2009, 09:31:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logan

Is there enough money in the Monaghan County Board for the mileage for them all?

It's one thing paying one, now paying two? Not many other county teams doing that! Wonder what does the Director General think now?

Abble

Quote from: Logan on September 02, 2009, 09:46:37 AM
Quote from: Doogie Browser on September 02, 2009, 09:45:03 AM
Quote from: Logan on September 02, 2009, 09:42:14 AM
Why would anyone move from Assistant Manager with Kildare to Assistant Manager with Monaghan?
Because he seems determined to embarrass the Armagh Co Board as much as possible.
I'd say he's pissed of a lot of Armagh people instead

i'd disagree there logan. he's had to do what he had to do. anyone who knows anything about him would say he'd be 110% into the footballing progress of whatever county and for whatever job he takes on. he's had his eyes well opened by that Armagh county board and he is sticking to his principles. for him it might not always be about being in the limelight or collecting a nice thick brown envelope and i certainly dont think it is on his agenda to embarrass the county board, they do a good enough job of that themselves.

It is annoying for us certainly and definitely moreso for the players but until certain things are fixed/tidied up in the running of our county board then it's most likely the team will be the biggest sufferers if a loss like grimley is anything to go by. grimley will continue to ply his skills elsewhere (outside armagh) for the foreseeable future i doubt.

Logan

I can't disagree with any of that - But lets be honest - he knew long before this what the Armagh CB were like - he could have made his mind up long ago? No?

orangeman

Quote from: Logan on September 02, 2009, 12:52:19 PM
Is there enough money in the Monaghan County Board for the mileage for them all?

It's one thing paying one, now paying two? Not many other county teams doing that! Wonder what does the Director General think now?

Sssssssssh !  ;) He's hoping nobody will notice.

Abble

Quote from: Logan on September 02, 2009, 01:04:51 PM
I can't disagree with any of that - But lets be honest - he knew long before this what the Armagh CB were like - he could have made his mind up long ago? No?

any man can live in hope!  but yeah he'd have had a fair idea i'm sure. and i'd say he's now expressed his opinion to them of how he wanted the job, at the end of the day that is all it should take....i'm not saying he shouldn't have to go through the full interview process like any other man but i think we'd agree this should be a bit of open and shut case. continued failure as in the previous 2 years can take a long long time to recover from

Logan

Quote from: Abble on September 02, 2009, 01:20:32 PM
Quote from: Logan on September 02, 2009, 01:04:51 PM

any man can live in hope!  but yeah he'd have had a fair idea i'm sure. and i'd say he's now expressed his opinion to them of how he wanted the job, at the end of the day that is all it should take....i'm not saying he shouldn't have to go through the full interview process like any other man but i think we'd agree this should be a bit of open and shut case. continued failure as in the previous 2 years can take a long long time to recover from
No man should be above it - I would think - even if it was open and shut (Which I actually agree with you about)
But it just gives the wrong example to players too

Anyway ... wonder who is left in the race now for Armagh?
McAlinden?

Seany

Please do not use the word 'Principle' when referring to this person any more.

Also refrain from blaming the CB.  Nothing to do with them.  They picked a five man panel consisting of an Armagh legend, Grimley's friend, an independent chairman and county chairman and sec.  to select the new manager.  ALl totally in order.  Not their fault that the lure of cash before county was obviously big enough to make him head for Monaghan.

He's totally lost my respect.  Remember - this is OUR county we're talking and what's best for the group of palyers that are there.  He knew the job was his but just had to be a bit patient.  Did he think he was on a higher plane than Neil Smith, or Justy, or the other people who the clubs have nominated for the job?  Nominaitons only closed last Friday and the committee hadn't even met yet, and he wanted a rubber stamp job done!

Sorry - I'm sure he'll try and spin this one out like the one he told the Tribune that he heard he hadn't got the job by teletext when the chairman and sec. had actually gone to his house hours before to tell him face to face that he hadn't got it. 

The more I think of this, the more sickened I get by what he has done to our county.  And he hasn't done it to the County Board.  he's done it to US!!! the ordinary gaels of the county who wanted him to get the job.

Maybe Big Joe was right all along!!

pintsofguinness

Good luck to Paul, he's got his own back on the armagh county board but has also kicked his own county in the balls.  I might be wrong but I can't help feeling he knew exactly what he was doing, just like the ones who shafted him a few years ago he's allowed personal difference get in the way of what's best for the county. That's makes him no better than them in my eyes.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: pintsofguinness on September 02, 2009, 01:43:46 PM
Good luck to Paul, he's got his own back on the armagh county board but has also kicked his own county in the balls.  I might be wrong but I can't help feeling he knew exactly what he was doing, just like the ones who shafted him a few years ago he's allowed personal difference get in the way of what's best for the county. That's makes him no better than them in my eyes.

I think there was a certain amount of brinkmanship in the way he dealt with it.  It is obvious that there discussions behind the scenes.  it was an open secret that he was the number one candidate.  Apparently there was a meeting over the weekend where he outlined his agenda and it was not acceptable by the CB.  They may have had very valid reasons for their approach, and I cannot speculate on what he put forward, but I was informed that the issue of funding was a major stumbling block the last time and it may have been an issue this time around.  He tried to call the CB's bluff this time round and they didn't bite.

Seany

I can assure this couldn'thave happened because that five man committee hasn't even met yet. (officially!)

pintsofguinness

Sorry - I'm sure he'll try and spin this one out like the one he told the Tribune that he heard he hadn't got the job by teletext when the chairman and sec. had actually gone to his house hours before to tell him face to face that he hadn't got it.
Is that definitley true seany? Very bad form if it is.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Seany

Absolutely 100% true.

That was a total lie in the Tribune.

orangeman

Quote from: Seany on September 02, 2009, 01:56:14 PM
Absolutely 100% true.

That was a total lie in the Tribune.

I read that story and thought that what they did on Grimley was way out of order.But if you're saying that he had been visited beforehand, that's entirely different.

Sounds like he never wanted the job at all.

umgolaarmagh

Quote from: Seany on September 02, 2009, 01:41:42 PM
Please do not use the word 'Principle' when referring to this person any more.

Also refrain from blaming the CB.  Nothing to do with them.  They picked a five man panel consisting of an Armagh legend, Grimley's friend, an independent chairman and county chairman and sec.  to select the new manager.  ALl totally in order.  Not their fault that the lure of cash before county was obviously big enough to make him head for Monaghan.

He's totally lost my respect.  Remember - this is OUR county we're talking and what's best for the group of palyers that are there.  He knew the job was his but just had to be a bit patient.  Did he think he was on a higher plane than Neil Smith, or Justy, or the other people who the clubs have nominated for the job?  Nominaitons only closed last Friday and the committee hadn't even met yet, and he wanted a rubber stamp job done!

The more I think of this, the more sickened I get by what he has done to our county.  And he hasn't done it to the County Board.  he's done it to US!!! the ordinary gaels of the county who wanted him to get the job.

Maybe Big Joe was right all along!!

Seany

Just been reading through the last two pages and appears you have a major chip on your shoulder regarding Grimley and appear to have alot of inside knowledge of the county board!!!!

Are you Paddy Og in disguise???

mackers

While Seany is going too far for me, Grimley has to understand what he has done here has a major impact on supporters and players who had high hopes for the next few years under his leadership. I hope that he has damned good reasons for this. According to the BBC News at lunchtime Armagh are going to continue to persuade Grimley to take the job...............we'll see.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.