Sen Edward Kennedy RIP

Started by magickingdom, August 26, 2009, 09:35:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyrones own

Agreed..... and then to say that that's the reason he never made president  :o
how about a reason why he never done 20 years like you or me never mind
continue on as a State Sen for as long as he did...give me a break!
Oh but that's right he did apologize  ::)
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Son_of_Sam

Ted Kennedy, RIP, a family touched by great tragedy. A great friend of Ireland.

muppet

Quote from: Tyrones own on August 27, 2009, 03:57:28 AM
Agreed..... and then to say that that's the reason he never made president  :o
how about a reason why he never done 20 years like you or me never mind
continue on as a State Sen for as long as he did...give me a break!
Oh but that's right he did apologize  ::)

He was tried and convicted of leaving the scene of an accident. Unless you have evidence that he intended to kill her then he didn't 'get away with it'. In many interviews he stated that he thought of that event every day of his life.

Any chance of Cheney ever seeing a trial?
MWWSI 2017

Aerlik

>:(

Or Wolfowitz, or Haynes.  Corrupt, the bloody lot of them. 

I'm no fan of the Kennedys but my parents had the obligitory picture of JFK on the wall beside the pope when I was a lad.  We still have the Sunday Press from his assassination.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

AZOffaly

Quote from: stephenite on August 27, 2009, 02:57:54 AM
Quote from: J70 on August 27, 2009, 02:14:18 AM
He may have been a great politician and tried to do his best for the poor and so on, but I  cannot hold him in high regard because of Mary Jo Kepechne. Its not like he was a kid in his late teens or early 20s. Everyone makes mistakes, but you have to stand up and take responsibility for your actions. He acted appallingly in the aftermath and never paid the price that any normal, unconnected person would have.

What he said

I third that. I always like the Kennedys in a sort of abstract way, but I could never warm to Ted. That incident was a very grubby stain on his whole life.

Evil Genius

Quote from: ziggysego on August 26, 2009, 09:46:32 PM
RIP Ted Kennedy. An American who never forgotten his Irish roots.
I hope by "Irish roots" you don't mean his Drunkenness, Womanising, Hypocrisy, Lying and Cheating etc throughout the entire course of his life.

As far as this Irishman is concerned, he was a rogue from a family of rogues. I would hope that it was the Kennedys' time in America which accounts for all of it.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

ziggysego

Quote from: Evil Genius on August 27, 2009, 12:33:10 PM
I hope by "Irish roots" you don't mean his Drunkenness, Womanising, Hypocrisy, Lying and Cheating etc throughout the entire course of his life.

As far as this Irishman is concerned, he was a rogue from a family of rogues. I would hope that it was the Kennedys' time in America which accounts for all of it.

Oh course not, but he has done a lot to improve the lifes of Irish men and women. Even you must admit that.
Testing Accessibility

Evil Genius

Quote from: ziggysego on August 27, 2009, 12:34:32 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on August 27, 2009, 12:33:10 PM

Oh course not, but he has done a lot to improve the lifes of Irish men and women. Even you must admit that.
How so?
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

ziggysego

Got Clinton involved in Irish affairs, which brought about the Good Friday Agreement for one.
Testing Accessibility

Doogie Browser

It is no surprise that Unionists cannot warm to the Kennedy family, I was no fan of Ted for his Chappaquiddick incident but JFK was a reforming president who helped break down racial barriers in the states.  Hardline Unionists just never seem to be able to warm to power sharing or equality for all no matter where in the world, we are used to that kind of stance over here.

Evil Genius

Quote from: Doogie Browser on August 27, 2009, 12:41:10 PM
It is no surprise that Unionists cannot warm to the Kennedy family
Well what the Hell do you expect? For instance, when Ted K called for Britain to disengage from Ireland, he advised any Prods who didn't like it that they could "go back where they came from". Considering my people were in Ireland over a decade before the "Mayflower" even set sail, I don't see why I should have to take lessons in rights of residence from some "Paddy-Come-Lately" like him, especially one located in a country which treated its own indigenous people the way they did.
but JFK was a reforming president who helped break down racial barriers in the states. 
Ah right, the same JFK who took the USA into Vietnam. I m ust say, that was a hell of a contribution towards Race Relations. Anyhow, when it came to domestic Race Relations, LBJ achieved a hell of a sight more in practical terms than JFK ever did.
Hardline Unionists just never seem to be able to warm to power sharing or equality for all no matter where in the world, we are used to that kind of stance over here.
Would those be the same "Hardline Unionists" who voted overwhelmingly in the GFA for enforced power sharing as-of-right, unlike in any other comparable Western democracy you can think of?
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: ziggysego on August 27, 2009, 12:37:19 PM
Got Clinton involved in Irish affairs, which brought about the Good Friday Agreement for one.
It was not Clinton's involvement in Irish Affairs which brought about the GFA, still less his introduction to Ireland by Ted Kennedy.
There were innumerable other developments and players, most long before Clinton ever even heard of Ireland, which were critical to the process getting under way.
As for Ted Kennedy's involvement, the (typically) naked opportunism he latterly displayed in jumping onto the GFA Bandwagon etc should be set against his record of decades of agitating over Ireland in his Boston homeland etc, all of which was based on a "Brits Out" agenda, which was the very opposite of the Consent Principle which underlies the whole GFA.
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Doogie Browser

Quote from: Evil Genius on August 27, 2009, 12:57:27 PM
It is no surprise that Unionists cannot warm to the Kennedy family
Well what the Hell do you expect? For instance, when Ted K called for Britain to disengage from Ireland, he advised any Prods who didn't like it that they could "go back where they came from". Considering my people were in Ireland over a decade before the "Mayflower" even set sail, I don't see who I should have to take lessons in rights of residence from some "Paddy-Come-Lately" like him, especially one located in a country which treated its own indigenous people the way they did.
but JFK was a reforming president who helped break down racial barriers in the states. 
Ah right, the same JFK who took the USA into Vietnam. I m ust say, that was a hell of a contribution towards Race Relations. Anyhow, when it came to domestic Race Relations, LBJ achieved a hell of a sight more in practical terms than JFK ever did.
Hardline Unionists just never seem to be able to warm to power sharing or equality for all no matter where in the world, we are used to that kind of stance over here.
Would those be the same "Hardline Unionists" who voted overwhelmingly in the GFA for enforced power sharing as-of-right, unlike in any other comparable Western democracy you can think of?
I repeat, I was no fan of Ted Kennedy so attempts by you to engage about him are futile however as ziggy said he certainly helped Clinton come on board over here whether you like it or not, this is the same Clinton who had a major hand in the GFA you are quick to robustly quote back at me, in fact some say his interventions were crucial to securing the gfa.
Howver your revisionist approach to JFK sums up all that is bad about you and hardline Unionists, you really ticked all the boxes with that rant, does history not say he was considering pulling out of Vietnam also before his untimely death, and LBJ who you are quick to canonise was pro Vietman as much as any president?  Like all presidents, leaders of nations etc you will find policies that present them in a bad light if you google hard enough, however you are being at best unkind and at worst totally blind if you cannot accept JFK as a reforming president, your head really is stuck in the white cliffs of Dover. 

Evil Genius

Quote from: Doogie Browser on August 27, 2009, 01:16:23 PM
I repeat, I was no fan of Ted Kennedy so attempts by you to engage about him are futile however as ziggy said he certainly helped Clinton come on board over here whether you like it or not, this is the same Clinton who had a major hand in the GFA you are quick to robustly quote back at me, in fact some say his interventions were crucial to securing the gfa.
By "some", you mean people whose surname was "Clinton", I take it?
Anyhow, I don't want to get into a "Who's Who" of the GFA etc. Suffice it to say that imo, Ted Kennedy's involvement was typical opportunism, and while welcome even belatedly, must be set against decades of encouraging a "Brits Out of Ireland" agenda in the USA, which encouraged Irish Republican militancy, whilst being totally antithetical to the Consent Principle which underpins the whole GFA.
Howver your revisionist approach to JFK sums up all that is bad about you and hardline Unionists, you really ticked all the boxes with that rant, does history not say he was considering pulling out of Vietnam also before his untimely death
Ah right. So having covertly brought the USA into an immoral and indefensible war in Vietnam, then being made to appreciate that it may be unwinnable (as well as potentially a vote-loser), it makes JFK a "Man of Peace and Good Race Relations" to point out that he later began to have second thoughts.  ::)
That's all right, then.

and LBJ who you are quick to canonise was pro Vietman as much as any president? 
I did not seek to defend LBJ eg in his approach to Vietnam, never mind "canonise" him .
Rather, when it came to the topic of Race Relations (introduced by you), I merely pointed out that domestically, LBJ's record was actually much more effective in bringing about change than that of JFK.

Like all presidents, leaders of nations etc you will find policies that present them in a bad light if you google hard enough, however you are being at best unkind and at worst totally blind if you cannot accept JFK as a reforming president,
I never claimed that JFK was not a reforming President.
Rather, when you praised him for his contribution to Race Relations, I pointed out that this should be set against his intervention in Vietnam, in a War which had a distinctly racist element to it.
Or as Muhammed Ali famously put it:
"I ain't got no quarrel with them Viet Cong. They never called me nigger."

your head really is stuck in the white cliffs of Dover.
Er, the White Cliffs are made up of chalk, not sand.  ::)
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Sandino

Welcome again Evil. You have managed to turn a thread of respect in a slanging match. Objective achieved, your class knows no begining.
"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''