Sen Edward Kennedy RIP

Started by magickingdom, August 26, 2009, 09:35:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doogie Browser

Quote from: Evil Genius on August 27, 2009, 01:45:46 PMEr, the White Cliffs are made up of chalk, not sand.  ::)
Says it all about you and your arrogance towards others on here.
I don't think JFK had time for any 2nd thoughts about Vietnam  ::), he was assasinated you know.

muppet

Evil Genius:
QuoteConsidering my people were in Ireland over a decade before the "Mayflower" even set sail, I don't see why I should have to take lessons in rights of residence from some "Paddy-Come-Lately" like him, especially one located in a country which treated its own indigenous people the way they did.

I have waited years to hear you say it EG. you could be talking about Paisley, Robinson or any of them.
MWWSI 2017

Evil Genius

Quote from: Sandino on August 27, 2009, 01:56:50 PM
Welcome again Evil. You have managed to turn a thread of respect in a slanging match. Objective achieved, your class knows no begining.
So you would impose some sort of censorship on this Board, then? May I take it that beyond a simple RIP, it is permissable for certain posters to compose paeons of praise, but not for others to express their criticisms?

If we were talking about a private individual, then whatever I thought of him, I would hope to retain a certain respect for the dead and the fact that he/she could not answer back.

However, people like the Kennedys were public figures, whose words and deeds directly affected many millions of people all around the world. Therefore imo they are "fair game" for analysis and criticism, even after their death.
Or will you argue that all the Biographies of Ted Kennedy, which will inevitably appear in the coming weeks, should be purged of any hitherto unpublished revelations, which are now no longer subject to libel laws?

P.S. If/when eg Paisley should snuff it, and I decide to come on this Board and state what I really feel about the Arch Bigot, no doubt you will be first in the queue to condemn me for my impropriety and lack of taste?  ::)

P.P.S. If you actually read back through the thread, J70, Gallsman, Stephenite, Tyrone's Own and AZ Offally all posted less than complimentary comments before I ever even put finger to keyboard. But I guess in the world you live in, it is OK for certain posters to do so, but heaven forbid that other posters should express an awkward opinion, contrary to the norm.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Main Street

Quote from: Evil Genius on August 27, 2009, 12:57:27 PM
Would those be the same "Hardline Unionists" who voted overwhelmingly in the GFA for enforced power sharing as-of-right, unlike in any other comparable Western democracy you can think of?

As was pointed out by one of the OWC shift and supported by voting records.
Hardline Unionists in the main, voted AGAINST the GFA.

Evil Genius

Quote from: muppet on August 27, 2009, 02:57:31 PM
Evil Genius:
QuoteConsidering my people were in Ireland over a decade before the "Mayflower" even set sail, I don't see why I should have to take lessons in rights of residence from some "Paddy-Come-Lately" like him, especially one located in a country which treated its own indigenous people the way they did.

I have waited years to hear you say it EG. you could be talking about Paisley, Robinson or any of them.
1. The Celts are almost certainly not the indigenous people of Ireland, so if that is your own ethnic background, then you should be wary of anyone telling other people to "go back whence they came".
2. In the context of Ted Kennedy's exhortation to Irish Protestants to "go back etc", I actually had in mind the reaction to such a noble principle of any Native American who might have been listening.

Apart from that, good point, well made... ::)
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Son_of_Sam

Quote from: Evil Genius on August 27, 2009, 03:24:22 PM
Evil Genius:

1. The Celts are almost certainly not the indigenous people of Ireland, so if that is your own ethnic background, then you should be wary of anyone telling other people to "go back whence they came".
2. In the context of Ted Kennedy's exhortation to Irish Protestants to "go back etc", I actually had in mind the reaction to such a noble principle of any Native American who might have been listening.

Apart form that, good point, well made... ::)

Thats alright Evil Genuis I reckon my great great great great great great...........................X1000 father was the first man in Ireland, so you can all fck off my island.

Evil Genius

Quote from: Doogie Browser on August 27, 2009, 01:59:44 PM
I don't think JFK had time for any 2nd thoughts about Vietnam  ::), he was assasinated you know.
Remind me again who it was made the following comment in post #27?
"does history not say he [JFK] was considering pulling out of Vietnam also before his untimely death"   :D

"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: Main Street on August 27, 2009, 03:21:39 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on August 27, 2009, 12:57:27 PM
Would those be the same "Hardline Unionists" who voted overwhelmingly in the GFA for enforced power sharing as-of-right, unlike in any other comparable Western democracy you can think of?

As was pointed out by one of the OWC shift and supported by voting records.
Hardline Unionists in the main, voted AGAINST the GFA.
Really? I thought that those Unionists "Hardliners" who voted against the GFA were in the minority of the wider Unionist community at the time of the vote (which was the point I was trying to make).
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Doogie Browser

Quote from: Evil Genius on August 27, 2009, 03:35:59 PM
"does history not say he [JFK] was considering pulling out of Vietnam also before his untimely death"   :D

You are not as stupid as we like to think you are, that you would read everything I say literally, if you had the wherewithal to consider my point, history has judged that JFK's untimely demise meant he could never see through any troop withdrawals he may have been considering - i.e he never had the opportunity to carry this out = his 2nd thoughts and lack of time to carry them out because - now let me spell this out - he was killed, a bullet in the head would soon stop you having second thoughts I would daresay  :D :D - its easy to apply these on my posts too.  Some people just fail to see it, well done wee lad, keep up.  if it takes you the guts of an hour to srutinise my post for any chink of light it shows how desperate you are to save this sinking ship. 

muppet

Quote from: Evil Genius on August 27, 2009, 03:24:22 PM
Evil Genius:

Apart from that, good point, well made... ::)

Modern genetic analysis tells us that the same people who live here now have been here long before history thinks the Celts migrated this way. Even if current historical thinking about Celts migrating holds true they were still here 1,500 years before you.

Finally I didn't tell anyone to back to where they came from, bizarrely that was you lecturing about Ted Kennedy.
MWWSI 2017

Evil Genius

Quote from: Doogie Browser on August 27, 2009, 03:48:33 PM

You are not as stupid as we like to think you are, that you would read everything I say literally, if you had the wherewithal to consider my point, history has judged that JFK's untimely demise meant he could never see through any troop withdrawals he may have been considering - i.e he never had the opportunity to carry this out = his 2nd thoughts and lack of time to carry them out because - now let me spell this out - he was killed, a bullet in the head would soon stop you having second thoughts I would daresay  :D :D - its easy to apply these on my posts too.  Some people just fail to see it, well done wee lad, keep up.  if it takes you the guts of an hour to srutinise my post for any chink of light it shows how desperate you are to save this sinking ship.
Doogie,
That attempt to make up for being caught out is like shitting the bed, then trying to kick it out with your heel - it only makes you look even more stupid.

Take a break, it'll soon be forgotten.
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: muppet on August 27, 2009, 03:59:53 PM
Modern genetic analysis tells us that the same people who live here now have been here long before history thinks the Celts migrated this. Even if current historical thinking about Celts migrating holds true they were still here 1,500 years before you.

Finally I didn't tell anyone to back to where they came from, bizarrely that was you lecturing about Ted Kennedy.
Is 1,500 years the benchmark, then? For if it is, then every last white settler in the USA had better start packing his bags and leaving the Native Americans to enjoy their homeland in peace.

Quote from: muppet on August 27, 2009, 03:59:53 PM
Nothing "bizarre" about it. Someone commented about how "bitter" Brits like myself are about Ted Kennedy, to which i replied it was no wonder, since he once famously advised any of us who didn't like his prescription for a United Ireland to "go back where we came from".

Coming from a family whose roots in America were considerably shallower than that of most Unionists in Ireland, I thought that both rich and an example of his visceral anti-Brit bigotry.

As for his recent acceptance of an honorary British Knighthood, that only serves to demonstrate that he was a total hypocrite, right up to the end.
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Doogie Browser

Quote from: Evil Genius on August 27, 2009, 04:17:53 PM

Doogie,
That attempt to make up for being caught out is like shitting the bed, then trying to kick it out with your heel - it only makes you look even more stupid.

We are used to this mentality from Unionism over the years, always seeking the final word and trying to trample over everyone in their way, they can never accept their own shortcomings.  You have done a good job of highlighting your own today, I have enjoyed it  ;)
Relax son  ;)

Evil Genius

Quote from: Doogie Browser on August 27, 2009, 04:27:14 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on August 27, 2009, 04:17:53 PM

Doogie,

We are used to this mentality from Unionism over the years, always seeking the final word and trying to trample over everyone in their way, they can never accept their own shortcomings.  You have done a good job of highlighting your own today, I have enjoyed it  ;)
Relax son  ;)
Shitting the bed, trying to kick it out with your heel and using your last clean towel to try and clean up the mess the next morning.

Quit when you're behind, for God's sake!   :D

"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

muppet

QuoteConsidering my people were in Ireland over a decade before the "Mayflower" even set sail,

You introduced the concept of time spent by your ancestors in a country as a measurement. You even introduced decades as a unit of that measurement.

1,500 years is a lot of decades.

So if your argument trumps Ted Kennedy, using conventional historical wisdom I trump by 150 to 1 and that is ignoring modern wisdom which knock your argument for 6 (couldn't resist a empirical cliche).
MWWSI 2017