Sen Edward Kennedy RIP

Started by magickingdom, August 26, 2009, 09:35:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magickingdom

a great irish american who did so much for both countries. a book of condolences will be open at the american embassy tomorrow for anyone who wants to sign it. .  .

Gnevin

Truly we are poorer for having lost him. A great man.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Orior

A fine man - just the one blemish.

QuoteI swam to the shore, but didnt feel like phoning the police or telling the parents that their daughter ha drowned until the next morning

1) Can anyone understand why he did that?
2) Would anyone else get away with it?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

gerry

done his bit for the irish both here and in the states, maybe only for the car crash accident he might have went on to be president
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

The Watcher Pat

There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

gerry

i would say orior he has regretted not doing the right think that night
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

ziggysego

RIP Ted Kennedy. An American who never forgotten his Irish roots.
Testing Accessibility

Galwaybhoy

orangeman

Quote from: gerry on August 26, 2009, 09:45:19 PM
i would say orior he has regretted not doing the right think that night

He did say that there was hardly a day went by that he didn't think about it and regret it. He would have been president but for that incident.

But he didn't let this deter him. He got on with it and went about doing a lot of good for those in the USA and further afield. He had a special place in his heart for us.

RIP

boojangles

RIP. Done his bit in the Irish Peace process among alot of other things.

moysider

If he ever got to be President he would have been one for the ages. But it was never on. The Chappaquiddick thing destroyed any chance he had. But even if he beat Jimmy Carter for the Democratic nomination I dont think he would have defeated Regan [first or second time]. No Demo would have stood a chance after Carter and the Iranian crisis. After Regans first term he was a shoe in for a second [ he even would have got a third if it were possible].

Regan was regarded as a bit of a joke/ boogie man by some Irish liberals [ remember Christy Moore s HEY RONNIE REGAN], but in the US he is revered as one of their great Presidents. Also not all Irish-Americans vote Dem. Far from it.

J70

He may have been a great politician and tried to do his best for the poor and so on, but I  cannot hold him in high regard because of Mary Jo Kepechne. Its not like he was a kid in his late teens or early 20s. Everyone makes mistakes, but you have to stand up and take responsibility for your actions. He acted appallingly in the aftermath and never paid the price that any normal, unconnected person would have.

J70

Quote from: moysider on August 26, 2009, 11:58:06 PM

Regan was regarded as a bit of a joke/ boogie man by some Irish liberals [ remember Christy Moore s HEY RONNIE REGAN], but in the US he is revered as one of their great Presidents. Also not all Irish-Americans vote Dem. Far from it.

He came in at no. 6 in a poll and book organized a few years back by some journalists from the Wall Street Journal, beaten only by Washington, Lincoln, FDR, Jefferson and Teddy Roosevelt. Obviously the WSJ is very in favour of the types of economic policies championed by Reagan, and opinions may change based on the events of the past 12 months, but his case for greatness has certainly been pushed hard by the conservative movement in the US over the past few years e.g. almost every candidate for the Republican nomination in 2008 was invoking the legacy of Ronald Reagan while doing everything they could to avoid any association with GW Bush!

gallsman

Aye, sure Ted was a friend of the Irish. Let's just forget about the fact that he caused the death of a young women and got away with it... :-\

stephenite

Quote from: J70 on August 27, 2009, 02:14:18 AM
He may have been a great politician and tried to do his best for the poor and so on, but I  cannot hold him in high regard because of Mary Jo Kepechne. Its not like he was a kid in his late teens or early 20s. Everyone makes mistakes, but you have to stand up and take responsibility for your actions. He acted appallingly in the aftermath and never paid the price that any normal, unconnected person would have.

What he said