Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Two Hands FFS

Quote from: bloodybreakball on June 06, 2011, 10:33:25 PM
who's clarkey
Ciaran Clarke..flying machine..tipped for stardom since U14 but is playing soccer for Limavady & possibley hasnt progressed as much in the last year or so due to the soccer

bloodybreakball

theskull1

Would it be fair to assume that there is a parasite in the town piggy backing off good GAA structures and leeching the talented away to soccer? Whats the ballycastle perspective here?

Heard tonight that Rossa had a bit of a ram shackle team out against glenarm yesterday. All must not be rosy
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Just Puck It

Clarkey supposedly signed for Coleraine, following after Oran Kearney from Cross & Passion - end of the hurling for him from what I've been told.

Last Man

The board of govenors will surely be gunning for Kearney in Cross & Passion, or is this another successful product of the "Sporting Academy"?

BlackandAmber

Quote from: Last Man on June 07, 2011, 09:02:02 AM
The board of govenors will surely be gunning for Kearney in Cross & Passion, or is this another successful product of the "Sporting Academy"?

Why?

People in the Town have (reluctantly) acepted for the last couple of years that we'd lose young Clarke (and young Jennings) to football.  Maybe Kearney did take them to Coleraine but everybody pretty much knew that somebody would be taking them somewhere.

We lost Ryan McGarry and Peter Dallat to employment overseas this year.  Who should we go gunning for over that?

It's a shame that we lose these talented youngsters and we could certainly be doing with every ounce of talent we have but we have to accept economic reality.  Good luck to them.

McQuillans will keep going.  Maybe not at the level we'd like to be but on we'll go.

theskull1

Fair enough Clarkey

NAG1

Must be tough for the town bringing them through giving them the great basics of how to play team sports and then for the soccer dogs to come in and poach the talent without as much as a thank you.

Im not blaming the players but it just annoys me that these soccer clubs sit back dont do anything or provide anything, structure or coaching wise, for the kids and then just when they are showing some promise in the GAA they are poached.

imtommygunn

Surely these guys were playing soccer at some level and their soccer skills were honed there?

Hurling / gaelic football will enhance many athletic attributes of the players but it won't make them soccer players so they must have been plying their trade at it to be snapped up by semi-pro teams so I think it's probably a bit much to say soccer just effectively stole them is it not?

Aussie rules steals gaelic players as we do all their development yes but these guys would have been playing soccer as well as hurling so it's not like the GAA developed every athletic and sporting quality they have.

BlackandAmber

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 07, 2011, 01:37:37 PM
Surely these guys were playing soccer at some level and their soccer skills were honed there?

Hurling / gaelic football will enhance many athletic attributes of the players but it won't make them soccer players so they must have been plying their trade at it to be snapped up by semi-pro teams so I think it's probably a bit much to say soccer just effectively stole them is it not?

Aussie rules steals gaelic players as we do all their development yes but these guys would have been playing soccer as well as hurling so it's not like the GAA developed every athletic and sporting quality they have.

100% tommy

theskull1

So it's OK to have have someone who is part of a GAA coaching development set up who at the same time actively encourages the talented youth to play soccer. (only the talented ones mind you...the rest can take a jump)? That doesn't sit well with me. Of course kids/parents have their own choices to make (most of them based on "hoop dreams"), but the GAA is about developing a collective unit within an area where there is a pride in representing the team where you come from. Quite difficult to do that when you have someone in your camp who is encouraging the exact opposite.

DearyMe

Ballycastle starting to crumble under the influence of soccer then -= suppose it was only a matter of time before they were impacted by the city mentality!

Are you implying that this is your level Blackandamber?

Surely you are favourites to go up in div 2?

I would say Galls will be weak enough wednesday, heard they will be missing a few (probably football trainin on lol :o)

But they really arent good travellers anyway!

Do not wait to strike until the iron is hot, but make it hot by striking!

imtommygunn

I was mainly commenting on NAGs post skull.

If someone exists in the club who has an agenda of pushing better players towards soccer to further their own interests then that would be wrong.

Is that what is being done though? Maybe someone has an interest in soccer and is encouraging young players to play it too - maybe there's more to it than that I dunno. I find it hard to believe that there will be much, material, gain from pushing these guys towards soccer. What would they get out of it?

BlackandAmber

Quote from: theskull1 on June 07, 2011, 02:52:30 PM
So it's OK to have have someone who is part of a GAA coaching development set up ........

Huh?

Do you mean Oran Kearney?  Or who is it that is part of a GAA coaching development setup?

Cross & passions sportning  academy award wasn't made purely for Gaelic sport.  It was for SPORT.  Oran Kearney helped with all sports as far as I know.  And I repeat Ballycastle knew for years that these young players were likely to get snapped up by some football club.  They've already been playing for another football club anyway.  Coleraine I'd guess have given them a better deal.  It's a pity.  I'd prefer that they chose to stay & play hurling.  We need them but I'm not going to condemn them or anyone else for earnnig a few bob from their talent.

BlackandAmber

Quote from: DearyMe on June 07, 2011, 03:00:29 PM
Ballycastle starting to crumble under the influence of soccer then -= suppose it was only a matter of time before they were impacted by the city mentality!

Are you implying that this is your level Blackandamber?

Surely you are favourites to go up in div 2?

I would say Galls will be weak enough wednesday, heard they will be missing a few (probably football trainin on lol :o)

But they really arent good travellers anyway!

That's not the implication at all.  It;s the reality at the moment and the ambition is to get back to Div 1 & start winning championships again.  Don't know about being favourites though.  we have lost the 4 players already mentioned though I don't think young jennings played much last year.  We also have players injured or just getting back from injury.  maybe the worst part of the U21 result against sarsfields is that a lot of those lads have to pick themsleves up again for Wed night and from what I hear thier performance last night was very poor. I'm told sarsfields played well and really wanted it.

The facts of life are that clubs everywhere will lose good players for all sorts of reasons and they'll keep going on.  Seems that this year we've been badly hit but we'll keep on going.