Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 31, 2011, 08:55:09 AM
Quote from: Seamroga in exile on May 31, 2011, 06:23:24 AM
Are any of you really surprised by this result?  And without trying to belittle the effort any of the lads that turn up put in towards training etc I'm afraid that when a team constantly plays hurlers of junior or intermediate standard that's what you're going to get. I wonder why more fellas from Loughgiel and Dunloy aren't turning up for Antrim. Is there something going on behind closed doors that we don't know about?

That is nonsense. From what I can see bar maybe one or two (which you get in any county)as many Loughgiel and Dunloy players are on that team / panel as should be on it. You could quote large numbers of players from successful setups who have come from junior / intermediate teams.
You could quote a few, exceptional hurlers maybe, from stronger hurling counties, not from Antrim.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

imtommygunn

Cloot wasn't, apart from one year, from a senior club.

Brendan Prenter has been one of our more decent keepers over the last 20 years and wasn't from a senior club.

The Herrons aren't really from a senior club either. Ciaran has been a great hurler for Antrim. Micko possibly not quite that level but not bad.

I'm sure there are more examples too.

All of the above would have got on the Loughgiel / Cushendall / Dunloy / Ballycastle teams in their given primes.

theskull1

Junior/Intermediatte players mustn't like the kings of leon

I think these players show better commitment as it is a priviage to represent your county if you're from a lower level club side. If a player has ability he should not be curtailed by which club he is a member of. Blind snobbery from SinE unless he can back it up with a bit of detail of who from div1 clubs who are prepared to commit properly
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Milltown Row2

NAH I didn't nitpick your post I highlighted that part and asked the question. You answered cheers. As for the rest, i'm sure over the years I've been to as many games as you.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 31, 2011, 05:23:21 PM

Brendan Prenter has been one of our more decent keepers over the last 20 years and wasn't from a senior club.

The Herrons aren't really from a senior club either. Ciaran has been a great hurler for Antrim. Micko possibly not quite that level but not bad.

All of the above would have got on the Loughgiel / Cushendall / Dunloy / Ballycastle teams in their given primes.
Four, possibly 5, exceptions to the what I was saying. Listen, if they're good enough, play them. In my opinion they aren't. Maybe young McCann can be the exception of this generation.

It's ok to have a different point of view you know.

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: theskull1 on May 31, 2011, 05:52:06 PM
Junior/Intermediatte players mustn't like the kings of leon

I think these players show better commitment as it is a priviage to represent your county if you're from a lower level club side. If a player has ability he should not be curtailed by which club he is a member of. Blind snobbery from SinE unless he can back it up with a bit of detail of who from div1 clubs who are prepared to commit properly
You must have missed the part of my post where I wasn't questioning their commitment.

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 31, 2011, 06:32:15 PM
NAH I didn't nitpick your post I highlighted that part and asked the question. You answered cheers. As for the rest, i'm sure over the years I've been to as many games as you.
Probably more.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on May 31, 2011, 04:55:11 PM
You could quote a few, exceptional hurlers maybe, from stronger hurling counties, not from Antrim.

There was the point I was arguing against Seamroga.  I understand you can have a different opinion but those 4 or 5 are as good as a lot of what we've had and that's hard to argue against.

The players now maybe you have a point but I would tend to give them the benefit of the doubt. I think our club stuff is as weak as it has been in the last 20/30 years.

It would do our hurling no good to have 15 from dunloy / cushendall / loughgiel and likewise 15 footballers from st galls.

clootfromthe21

Jeez fellas, its all pretty depressing stuff. Was listening to it intermittently on South East Radio and when we went in at half time two points down having played into the wind, I was reasonably confident we would kick on in the second half as in the Laois game. On the contrary, having missed a couple of chances we seemed to roll over and die. If we are ever to progress, we have to be winning games like this (or at least contesting them for 70 or 75 minutes).

Then to hear the stories about Slane - I had thought (hoped) we had moved on from that sort of craic. It would seem not.

I wonder about Dinny sometimes and his lack of focus on the league - I know he is a "championship" man which is all well and good, but I think it would do Antrim the world of good to give Division 2 a real shot and get to a league final or, even better, win it and get into Division 1 for a year.

Regarding Seamroga's comments about intermediate/junior hurlers - who are the senior hurlers who:

a.) have the ability; and

b.) have the commitment,

but who are mysteriously being ignored by Dinny?

theskull1

He ignored me when I asked the same question(s) cloot so I wouldn't expect an answer cause it'll send his argument into a brick wall
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on May 31, 2011, 07:43:36 PM

Four, possibly 5, exceptions to the what I was saying. Listen, if they're good enough, play them. In my opinion they aren't. Maybe young McCann can be the exception of this generation.

Are they not good enough in your opinion then? Your post is confusing, as you say four or five then say they aren't ::)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: clootfromthe21 on May 31, 2011, 09:05:50 PM
Jeez fellas, its all pretty depressing stuff. Was listening to it intermittently on South East Radio and when we went in at half time two points down having played into the wind, I was reasonably confident we would kick on in the second half as in the Laois game. On the contrary, having missed a couple of chances we seemed to roll over and die. If we are ever to progress, we have to be winning games like this (or at least contesting them for 70 or 75 minutes).

Then to hear the stories about Slane - I had thought (hoped) we had moved on from that sort of craic. It would seem not.

I wonder about Dinny sometimes and his lack of focus on the league - I know he is a "championship" man which is all well and good, but I think it would do Antrim the world of good to give Division 2 a real shot and get to a league final or, even better, win it and get into Division 1 for a year.

Regarding Seamroga's comments about intermediate/junior hurlers - who are the senior hurlers who:

a.) have the ability; and

b.) have the commitment,

but who are mysteriously being ignored by Dinny?
I asked a question, I never said anything about anyone being ignored.

I didn't see your post Skull, I had know idea you were even asking me a question.

It's a sorry state of affairs if, what I read here is true, that those men who took the field on Sunday is the  best we can come up with. Obviously representing the county doesn't mean anything near as much now for senior hurlers as it did in my day.

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 31, 2011, 10:07:51 PM
Quote from: Seamroga in exile on May 31, 2011, 07:43:36 PM

Are they not good enough in your opinion then? Your post is confusing, as you say four or five then say they aren't ::)
I said earlier that one could maybe use the examples of a few exceptional junior/intermediate hurlers who have made the ranks of senior county teams and been successful. ITG quoted 4 or 5 over the last 20 years or so from Antrim. I would say that 1 of those were, in the grand scheme of things, successful. That's not a lot really, backing up what I said. It's not that confusing.

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 31, 2011, 09:01:42 PM
Quote from: Seamroga in exile on May 31, 2011, 04:55:11 PM

There was the point I was arguing against Seamroga.  I understand you can have a different opinion but those 4 or 5 are as good as a lot of what we've had and that's hard to argue against.

The players now maybe you have a point but I would tend to give them the benefit of the doubt. I think our club stuff is as weak as it has been in the last 20/30 years.

It would do our hurling no good to have 15 from dunloy / cushendall / loughgiel and likewise 15 footballers from st galls.
I bet you they would win more games though.

You'd have to select a few of the subs from St. Galls to make up the 15 though.

clootfromthe21

Well Seamroga, apart from the one or two long term injuries, that is the reality - that is the best we can come up with at the minute, in my view anyway.

Serious question, who are these players you hand in mind when you said "Obviously representing the county doesn't mean anything near as much now for senior hurlers as it did in my day?" At least the boys that played on Sunday have shown the commitment, albeit to a greater or lesser degree.