Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ManInBlackandGreen

Looks like the county website is being tortured by the old "referee" chestnut again, Cathal Mc Allister (Cork Referee- but not in the true sense) can at times be very unpredictable to say the least usually behind the play most of the time so we shouldn't go looking for the easy free as he won't be there to call properly, our lads need to be able to accept the physicality of the game however on the day depending on cathals mood it may suit us, Wexford are extremely fast on the first time ball into the f forwards, and if we can't deal with that then I don't hold out much hope, they tend to by pass the 3/4 line as much as possible and rely on the 2 corner backs playing a supporting role to the half back line. Don't think midfield is really going to matter in this one although both Wexford midfield lads fancy themselves as forwards.

Fairhead

Quote from: DearyMe on May 27, 2011, 12:53:53 PM
N Breen

P Roche
M O'Hanlon
K Rossiter

L Prendergast
C Kenny
M Jacob

W Doran
D Redmond

PJ Nolan
H Kehoe
S Banville

R Jacob
E Martin
J Berry

Team to play Antrim - will Banville play out there?  I think he will, plenty of scores from this team. Although perhaps average 1 goal a game in national league.
Will be interesting.

Maybe Banville will be to Wex what Neil McManus is to Antrim and operate between full forward and the half forward line when needed. Darren Stamp could be a big miss for them at centre half unless he makes one of them miracle recoveries that players can make between the team being named and the match.

As for Antrim some players, namely McGuinness and McCann, started off championship hurling well against Laois so hopefully thay can go on to enhance their reputations on Sunday. And if Karl Stewart and Neil McManus can start off where they left off against Laois we could be winning a lot of ball in the half forward line which will give us a chance. However the way Wex finished the league coupled with home advantage points me in the direction of a home win but hopefully Antrim can prove me wrong.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Fairhead on May 27, 2011, 11:55:54 PM
Quote from: DearyMe on May 27, 2011, 12:53:53 PM
N Breen

P Roche
M O'Hanlon
K Rossiter

L Prendergast
C Kenny
M Jacob

W Doran
D Redmond

PJ Nolan
H Kehoe
S Banville

R Jacob
E Martin
J Berry

Team to play Antrim - will Banville play out there?  I think he will, plenty of scores from this team. Although perhaps average 1 goal a game in national league.
Will be interesting.

Maybe Banville will be to Wex what Neil McManus is to Antrim and operate between full forward and the half forward line when needed. Darren Stamp could be a big miss for them at centre half unless he makes one of them miracle recoveries that players can make between the team being named and the match.

As for Antrim some players, namely McGuinness and McCann, started off championship hurling well against Laois so hopefully thay can go on to enhance their reputations on Sunday. And if Karl Stewart and Neil McManus can start off where they left off against Laois we could be winning a lot of ball in the half forward line which will give us a chance. However the way Wex finished the league coupled with home advantage points me in the direction of a home win but hopefully Antrim can prove me wrong.

Yes Wexford finished the league better than they started, so they are coming into this game with form but Antrim have had a championship game behind them already and a tough auld game against Laois in their own backyard, so it won't be because they are playing Wexford in their own pitch that they will lose.

I feel if we get enough ball into that half forward line then those lads will get a right few scores. they are heading down on the Saturday night (tonight) and will be well rested come tomorrow.

Big start needed and we can go into this game with no real fear and a chance to play Kilkenny at Croke park. The more games we get at this level the more chance we have of improving. If Antrim have a good championship run then we should push on for a promotion into league one next year
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Bad result in the end. Two point game at half time!! Hammered second half and only scored 3 points in 35 mins!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Minder

Why was Karl McKeegan not playing?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Minder on May 29, 2011, 08:01:39 PM

Didn't play the last game? Doubt you're really worried about Karl!!

Minder

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 29, 2011, 08:19:36 PM
Quote from: Minder on May 29, 2011, 08:01:39 PM

Didn't play the last game? Doubt you're really worried about Karl!!

Not particularly.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Hurler on the Bitch

Another fecking CAR CRASH of a performance.. ???

the colonel

2nd half must have been awful. Surprising considering Antrim had the breeze in their favour. Any idea's why the keeper was changed at the last minute.
the difference between success and failure is energy

Antrim Coaster

Chrissy O'Connell and Conor Carson were dropped after attending the concert at Slane and were told shortly before the start.

Think there was a bit of a heated argument in the changing room and thats why Antrim took the field a bit late.

Hawes at fault for the free which led to the 1st Wexford goal. He was blown up for overcarrying beyond the 21 with a couple of Wexford lads around him instead of kicking it away.

Antrim could not deal with the high ball in the 2nd half. Wexford midfielders and half backs caught at least a dozen dropping balls. Antrim's catching was poor enough yesterday. Wexford then began to move the ball around well, finding men in space who then had a simple enough task of putting the ball over the bar. The last 15 minutes resembled a glorified challenge match.

On South East Radio Colm Bonner attributed the Wexford performance to the experience gained playing Division 1 hurling. Dinny was asked the same question regarding a possible push for promotion and stated if Antrim were in Division 1 it would require several overnight stays as they would be playing southern teams and his young panel have wives and girlfriends etc.

the colonel

I had heard this might have been the case. I thought they were heading down on Saturday night so how was it only left to the last minute that Chrissy was dropped (not saying I disagree with the decision)
the difference between success and failure is energy

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Antrim Coaster on May 30, 2011, 07:57:52 PM
Chrissy O'Connell and Conor Carson were dropped after attending the concert at Slane and were told shortly before the start.

Think there was a bit of a heated argument in the changing room and thats why Antrim took the field a bit late.

Hawes at fault for the free which led to the 1st Wexford goal. He was blown up for overcarrying beyond the 21 with a couple of Wexford lads around him instead of kicking it away.

Antrim could not deal with the high ball in the 2nd half. Wexford midfielders and half backs caught at least a dozen dropping balls. Antrim's catching was poor enough yesterday. Wexford then began to move the ball around well, finding men in space who then had a simple enough task of putting the ball over the bar. The last 15 minutes resembled a glorified challenge match.

On South East Radio Colm Bonner attributed the Wexford performance to the experience gained playing Division 1 hurling. Dinny was asked the same question regarding a possible push for promotion and stated if Antrim were in Division 1 it would require several overnight stays as they would be playing southern teams and his young panel have wives and girlfriends etc.

What a load of balls!!! Is Dinny for real? Ya can't be settling for second division. Unbelievable statement

Last Man

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 30, 2011, 10:22:33 PM
Quote from: Antrim Coaster on May 30, 2011, 07:57:52 PM

What a load of balls!!! Is Dinny for real? Ya can't be settling for second division. Unbelievable statement

Isn't he just stating the facts of what most of the squad will live with. The 2 boys heading to Slane is a perfect example and a "F*ck you Dinny" move without a doubt.

Seamroga in exile

Are any of you really surprised by this result?  And without trying to belittle the effort any of the lads that turn up put in towards training etc I'm afraid that when a team constantly plays hurlers of junior or intermediate standard that's what you're going to get. I wonder why more fellas from Loughgiel and Dunloy aren't turning up for Antrim. Is there something going on behind closed doors that we don't know about?
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Antrim Coaster

Milltown, that's what Dinny said when interviewed on South East Radio after the match. i was amazed at his defeatist attitude and then concluded it was no real surprise that Antrim were horsed out of it in the second half.

Dinny in the Irish News today stated again that he wouldnt be too sure if a season in Division 1 would have helped as they would have been outmuscled. I think he contradicts himself when he states, 'What you try to do is to get up to a good level of hurling and become competitive and hope it will come all right in the championship' If thats the attitude of management then why even bother ???