Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: Atticus_Finch on May 16, 2011, 08:28:54 PM
What's the story with Liam Watson ?  Is he injured ?
He had an op on May 6th. He said that basically depending on how it goes he'll either be ok or maybe have to hang the boots up.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Two Hands FFS

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on May 16, 2011, 08:32:01 PM
He had an op on May 6th. He said that basically depending on how it goes he'll either be ok or maybe have to hang the boots up.
Which translated for those not from Loughgiel means.... 'he'll be back in 3 weeks'

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: Two Hands FFS on May 16, 2011, 09:08:55 PM
Which translated for those not from Loughgiel means.... 'he'll be back in 3 weeks'
Just passing on what he told me mate.

Atticus_Finch

Thanks seamroga, hopefully he will be back sooner rather than later, some player.
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

bloodybreakball

Two Hands, thats funny enough lad, aye winker comoing back would be great, with neil mc manus and conor mc cann showing good form antrim has a bit of FIREPOWER!!!!

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: bloodybreakball on May 16, 2011, 11:23:35 PM
Two Hands, thats funny enough lad, aye winker comoing back would be great, with neil mc manus and conor mc cann showing good form antrim has a bit of FIREPOWER!!!!
I have to say that I've been impressed with young McCann at this level. Having seen him perform well for Creggan a few times I never thought I'd be seeing him in a saffron shirt. Fair play to the lad, just shows how some fellas can improve when the standard around them improves. Kudos to Cahill et al for selecting him to play last Saturday.

NAG1

It would be the worst thing they could do for team morale bringing LW back into the fold now. The team have been training away well most of them have and would be a massive disruption to introduce player or players who havent been there all year. But on this one wouldnt put it past Dinny.

He had a cartlidge operation on his knee anywhere from 4-6 weeks is the usual time frame. Funny the soccer dogs werent reaching for their pockets to pay for the op, wonder who footed the bill at the finish?

the colonel

Great result at the weekend, I am sure I am thought of as one othe 'arseholes' giving off about Conor McCanns inclusion. I never commented on his ability as all I asked was who was he, because I had never heard of him. I don't think anyone slated him. But fair play to the young lad for his performance. A great introduction to Championship hurling. Dinny always baffles with some of his selections, and I'm sure that has been noted on here for many years. With only one or two exceptions he has been dead on, or very close to the mark so fair play to him!

Wexford will be a big step, but confidence should be high, as they are definately beatable.
the difference between success and failure is energy

pdiddy

Quote from: NAG1 on May 17, 2011, 08:29:41 AM
It would be the worst thing they could do for team morale bringing LW back into the fold now. The team have been training away well most of them have and would be a massive disruption to introduce player or players who havent been there all year. But on this one wouldnt put it past Dinny.

He had a cartlidge operation on his knee anywhere from 4-6 weeks is the usual time frame. Funny the soccer dogs werent reaching for their pockets to pay for the op, wonder who footed the bill at the finish?

So if a player is injured at the start of the year he cant be brought back on to the panel when he's fit again????  Wise up NAG !  What about Campbell and Donnelly or is this 'rule' exclusively for LW ?
When a team loses, there's always a row at half time, but when they win, its an inspirational speech

NAG1

Quote from: pdiddy on May 17, 2011, 03:33:44 PM

So if a player is injured at the start of the year he cant be brought back on to the panel when he's fit again????  Wise up NAG !  What about Campbell and Donnelly or is this 'rule' exclusively for LW ?

What you mean fit to play up to Feb and then not fit? Define fit for me then, a lad who picks and chooses. My point is that at his best he isnt great for morale and in general I wouldnt be in favour of bringing anyone back in at this stage who hasnt been about the squad all year. Hippy has been and JC has been an ever present with no hassle or begging to be there. So yeah he has created the rule for himself by his attitude to the county squad and if that is wrong then he has brought it on himself.

What would it say to CMcC after his performance last weekend to drop him to the bench in favour of LW, backward step in all ways IMO.

Onthehill

Quote from: NAG1 on May 17, 2011, 04:11:41 PM
Quote from: pdiddy on May 17, 2011, 03:33:44 PM

What you mean fit to play up to Feb and then not fit? Define fit for me then, a lad who picks and chooses. My point is that at his best he isnt great for morale and in general I wouldnt be in favour of bringing anyone back in at this stage who hasnt been about the squad all year. Hippy has been and JC has been an ever present with no hassle or begging to be there. So yeah he has created the rule for himself by his attitude to the county squad and if that is wrong then he has brought it on himself.

What would it say to CMcC after his performance last weekend to drop him to the bench in favour of LW, backward step in all ways IMO.

Totally agree with NAG - it would be a step back to bring this man in at this stage.

Antrim must move on from this boy. He never really delivered much on the Antrim scene anyways. Neil McManus has been a far more consistent performer for Antrim than LW.
Look after the crop of committed young players that we have at the minute and we will reep the rewards in the not to distant future.

This is crap. There was no operation as no one was willing to pay for it.

Seamroga in exile

Insightful stuff onthehill. It's so sad to see the begrudgery of some spewing forth on this site, but then again, should we expect anything else?

He's had his operation and is on the mend.

What was that other fantastic quote? oh yeah: "He never really delivered much on the Antrim scene anyways."

Apart from his All-star nominating 6 points from play performance against Cork in Croke Park, I take it you mean?

Milltown Row2

Look lets not go over old ground on this. Dinny is picking the team and he does have a liking for Liam, of that we have no doubt, also anyone on here who says he's not a gifted hurler doesn't know his hurling.

Which comes to the other thing(s), temperament, commitment, and attitude.

Seamroga if you were a Club/County manager would you have a player on the team who was brilliant but you had to chase him all the time, treat him differently, never really know if he was going to turn up and be committed, doesn't show attitude, leadership and positivity?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 17, 2011, 06:00:01 PM
Look lets not go over old ground on this. Dinny is picking the team and he does have a liking for Liam, of that we have no doubt, also we anyone on here who says he's not a gifted hurler doesn't know his hurling.

Seamroga if you were a Club/County manager would you have a player on the team who was brilliant but you had to chase him all the time, treat him differently, never really know if he was going to turn up and be committed, doesn't show attitude, leadership and positivity?
A lot of what is written and spoken about winker is justified. An awful lot more is utter tripe. If you truly know Liam you would know that he's dealing with a lot of other things in his life which are much more important than hurling or soccer. Whenever his mind is right he's one of the best trainers around, I mean, just take a look at his fitness. I'm sure you've noticed just how athletic he is. You don't get like that without dedication. And of course whenever he is on the field he comes in for some very special treatment from whatever opposition he faces without the full protection of the referee most of the time. He does have a short fuse, but again, this past year he improved dramatically as far as discipline goes. I believe the sending off against cork was his only blemish. (considering the type of gib that Gardiner was throwing  at him through out that game I can understand why he lost it.)

Also he's not getting any younger. This time around he's waiting until he feels fully fit before returning to hurling.

And to answer your question, If I had someone of the talent of Watson in my squad he'd be in the first 15 every time.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on May 17, 2011, 06:29:43 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 17, 2011, 06:00:01 PM
Look lets not go over old ground on this. Dinny is picking the team and he does have a liking for Liam, of that we have no doubt, also we anyone on here who says he's not a gifted hurler doesn't know his hurling.

A lot of what is written and spoken about winker is justified. An awful lot more is utter tripe. If you truly know Liam you would know that he's dealing with a lot of other things in his life which are much more important than hurling or soccer. Whenever his mind is right he's one of the best trainers around, I mean, just take a look at his fitness. I'm sure you've noticed just how athletic he is. You don't get like that without dedication. And of course whenever he is on the field he comes in for some very special treatment from whatever opposition he faces without the full protection of the referee most of the time. He does have a short fuse, but again, this past year he improved dramatically as far as discipline goes. I believe the sending off against cork was his only blemish. (considering the type of gib that Gardiner was throwing  at him through out that game I can understand why he lost it.)

Also he's not getting any younger. This time around he's waiting until he feels fully fit before returning to hurling.

And to answer your question, If I had someone of the talent of Watson in my squad he'd be in the first 15 every time.

That's fair enough, very difficult for managers to not play lads that can win games almost single handed. But I wouldn't myself. I'm crap at the man management of 'special' talents, either you want to commit and train like the rest or you don't play.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea