Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gelvis

Quote from: TheGeneral on April 05, 2011, 04:01:13 PM
tbh the man or should i say boy is 6.4 and is a brave lump to say the least, but what he lacks in speed he makes up for in sheer strength and accuracy.

Aye, he shoots daggers from his eyes, fireballs from his arse and he uses his k**b as a hurl
"If you worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on"

imtommygunn

Some of you boys are being awful harsh on Carson.

How many years has he been playing senior? He's only U21. When your key assets are power and drive you will take longer to adapt from underage to senior than you will as a more skilful / mobile player.

As a minor he was an exceptional player though when I saw him he did play further back the field. As a prospect I think he's worth a look at definitely. Dinny seems to take looks at players round that age though sometimes he puts them in a bit early - e.g. Quinn from Dunloy. However the league is the place to give them a chance.

It's been a long time since we've had a good target man at full forward. Since Ciaran Barr days really and since then the only real one has been Carson's da. We need to look at what we can here as we've been badly missing a target man. We were playing a full back there a few years ago after all.

Would agree forward development is a problem. We have a squad littered with good center half backs - McManus, McKeegan, Graffin, McAuley, Campbell - yet have to play probably our best one McManus up in the forwards. Just like the 90s and Gary O'Kane all over again.(Cushendall generally have to play him there too I know)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 05, 2011, 08:41:33 PM
Some of you boys are being awful harsh on Carson.

How many years has he been playing senior? He's only U21. When your key assets are power and drive you will take longer to adapt from underage to senior than you will as a more skilful / mobile player.

As a minor he was an exceptional player though when I saw him he did play further back the field. As a prospect I think he's worth a look at definitely. Dinny seems to take looks at players round that age though sometimes he puts them in a bit early - e.g. Quinn from Dunloy. However the league is the place to give them a chance.

It's been a long time since we've had a good target man at full forward. Since Ciaran Barr days really and since then the only real one has been Carson's da. We need to look at what we can here as we've been badly missing a target man. We were playing a full back there a few years ago after all.

Would agree forward development is a problem. We have a squad littered with good center half backs - McManus, McKeegan, Graffin, McAuley, Campbell - yet have to play probably our best one McManus up in the forwards. Just like the 90s and Gary O'Kane all over again.(Cushendall generally have to play him there too I know)

Not harsh, just making judgements on what i have seen. As for his da, his best playing position was RHF. Look I'm all for big lads on the team, you only have to look and teams like the Cats, Cork, Tipp, and Offaly. They were always littered with big mobile players who have/had great touches and skill. Height/strength wise we have McManus who falls into that bracket, we'd need about 4/5 more players of his ilk to be more competitive.

I'll hold judgement then for a few years imtommygun
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

MR his clubmate was the main person being harsh rather than yourself...

Yeah out the field we have strength/height but in and around the FF line we traditionally have lacked it and balls that go in come back out far too much and far too handy. Maybe he isn't good enough - jury still out -  but in my view worth a try as we are very limited with FF options and Dinny uses the league to t**ker. I *hope* it's why Laois beat us though time will tell.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 05, 2011, 08:59:31 PM
MR his clubmate was the main person being harsh rather than yourself...

Yeah out the field we have strength/height but in and around the FF line we traditionally have lacked it and balls that go in come back out far too much and far too handy. Maybe he isn't good enough - jury still out -  but in my view worth a try as we are very limited with FF options and Dinny uses the league to t**ker. I *hope* it's why Laois beat us though time will tell.

Laois game just didn't happen, apparently we just didn't turn up. Listened to the match on the radio and to be fair there were times in that match we could have went on to win it.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

theskull1

Quote from: TheGeneral on April 05, 2011, 04:01:13 PM
He is called the Claw due to his catching ability

No shit sherlock  :)
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

ruairi

Alright, do you want me to apologise. Im sorry if i was harsh on the poor fella, but he has been on the panel since 2006....we can wait another 5 or 6 years and see if he develops.

Fairhead

Surely its a good thing for a yoong player like Conor Carson to get exposure to playing with, and against, better players? It can only improve a young player and that surely is to the benefit of his club as well. Of course the flip side is being thrown in at the deep end of inter-county hurling when your not ready for it can have a detrimental affect on a player. I think its fairer holding off judgement on a player at county level until hes been around the scene for a year or two.

Milltown Row2

Antrim Div 2 Hurling

Team 1          Score    Score   

Lamh Dhearg   4-10   1-17   Rossa      
Tir na og           0-13   3-16   Ballycastle   
Clooney Gaels   1-12   2-9   Carey Faughs      
Shane O Neills   1-12   2-10   Gort Na Mona   

Thought the Castle would have won by more, Lamhs off to a flyer beating Rossa

Forever Green

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 06, 2011, 10:29:10 PM
Antrim Div 2 Hurling

Great result for Lamh Dhearg. Also good result for Gort na Mona, usually bad travellers

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Forever Green on April 06, 2011, 10:36:33 PM
Antrim Div 2 Hurling

Great result for Lamh Dhearg. Also good result for Gort na Mona, usually bad travellers

You on the wind up?? Travelling camp beside  the pitch ;D ;D

Forever Green

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 06, 2011, 10:39:48 PM
Quote from: Forever Green on April 06, 2011, 10:36:33 PM
Antrim Div 2 Hurling

You on the wind up?? Travelling camp beside  the pitch ;D ;D
:D Very nice

clootfromthe21

A big day for Dunloy!!!

From St. Finbarr's to Dunloy

The GAA can confirm that media launches for the 2011 GAA Football and Hurling All-Ireland Senior Championships will be held next month when two more of the Association's progressive clubs help host the events.

The Football launch will take place in St. Finbarr's GAA Club in Cork on May 4.

A week later on May 11, Cuchullains Dunloy, Co. Antrim take centre stage when they host the Hurling Championship event.

For the second year running, the Association's flagship championship unveilings take place at Clubs as part of the ongoing commitment to elevate the profile and work of our Club units across the Country.

Uachtarán Chumann Lúthchleas Gael Criostóir Ó Cuana will attend both events and players from all four Provinces in both codes will also be present to mark the occasion.

The GAA President said: "Our launches in Tralee and Ballyboden last year were very well received and we are delighted to be returning to two more progressive clubs next month as part of our ongoing efforts to showcase everything that is good about our clubs and the massive community based work they do through the promotion of our games and activities.

"These media events are amongst the highest profile we organise and the decision to hold them in the excellent facilities as offered by these club units, creates a tangible link between the highest level of our games and the all important club scene which produces and nurtures the top talents in both football and hurling who captivate massive audiences on memorable Croke Park summer days."

ManInBlackandGreen

Sad state of affairs when Senior Referees in Antrim have refused already to referee St Johns this year in Hurling, they're saying they are just tired and feed up with all the Bull**** and hassle with players and mentors at every game.

Milltown Row2

Haven't heard this before, Honestly??

We play Rossa today and our county players are playing Derry at Casement???? Gallagher, Healy both senior hurlers will miss the game!!