Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the colonel

Not now his dad is there MR!! But I think its strange that when he finally gets a couple of scores then he's dropped/rested.
the difference between success and failure is energy

Milltown Row2

Quote from: the colonel on April 02, 2011, 02:36:20 PM
Not now his dad is there MR!! But I think its strange that when he finally gets a couple of scores then he's dropped/rested.

Yes i agree with you on that point (nepotism)

But did you watch him against Carlow? not great. Club level he'll be grand
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

gelvis

From BBC website:

Neil McManus bagged a hat-trick as the Saffrons won the Allianz NHL Division Two derby at Ballycran.

Karl Stewart was first to hit the net for Antrim before a brace from McManus, which included a penalty.

Antrim's Eddie McCloskey and Eoin Clarke of Down were sent-off as the visitors led 3-4 to 0-5 at the break.

McManus and Stewart netted again before Paul Braniff fired in Down's goal, while Mourne player Fintan Conway was dismissed late on.

McManus picked himself up after being hauled down to convert the penalty.

McCloskey and Clarke received straight red cards after being involved in an incident before half-time.

The win takes Antrim up to third on eight points while Down are four back in seventh.

Antrim: C O'Connell, A Graffin, Kieran McGourty, K Molloy, N McAuley, M Herron, J McCouaig, S McCrory, S McNaughton, P Shiels, K Stewart, E McCloskey, C McGuinness, N McManus, Barry McFall. Subs: S Hawes, M Armstrong, T McCann, J Black, C McFall, M Donnelly, K McKeegan, C Carson, S Shannon, L Kearns, C McCann, D Hamill, C Herron, K McKeague, C Donnelly, PJ O'Connell.
"If you worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on"

ruairi

I have been saying that all along. He should struggle to make cushendall team if the team is picked fairly. Time will tell.

It would have been nice to make a league final this year. Some good results along the way in a very close league (in regards standard).

Minder

Quote from: ruairi on April 04, 2011, 06:24:02 PM
I have been saying that all along. He should struggle to make cushendall team if the team is picked fairly. Time will tell.

It would have been nice to make a league final this year. Some good results along the way in a very close league (in regards standard).

I would have thought the league went as expected, bar Laois, who I thought we would have beaten.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

maxpower

A bit random the Dall men criticising one of their own. I would have thought given his size and age there is plenty of room for improvement and County hurling could do just that.

Antrim are seriously lacking in ball winning forwards
What happens next????

TheGeneral

Quote from: maxpower on April 05, 2011, 08:12:22 AM
A bit random the Dall men criticising one of their own. I would have thought given his size and age there is plenty of room for improvement and County hurling could do just that.

Best ball winning forward in the county is a minor hurler in our club, Dominic'The Claw' Delargy
Goals win championships

ruairi

yes alot of results went the way I would of hoped but in the past Antrim seem to slip up somewhere along the line against 'weaker opposition'. Realistically no team in that league are much better or worse than Antrim. Its good to see us coming away with the points.

I hate to be critical of Conor. Personality wise he is a good young fella and he doesnt deserve the negativity for being picked to represent his county. I just dont think he is anywhere near the standard that is required at county level. He's an average club hurler. I suppose my negativity should be better directed at Dinny for repeatedly picking him. Anyway, the longer he continues to play probably bring him on a bit, but in my opinion not enough to make him a county hurler. Long may it continue though as it can only help cushendall, improve one of the weaker players on the team last few years.     

theskull1

Quote from: TheGeneral on April 05, 2011, 10:14:39 AM
Best ball winning forward in the county is a minor hurler in our club, Dominic'The Claw' Delargy

Why do they call him the claw

Ruari...when you say you believe someone isn't at the standard required for county level are you implying that there are those who are "county standard" but who aren't on the panel? I don't believe you think that, so those who are there at the moment are as good as we have and that includes CC.

My perspective would be the same a max's ...i.e. That Antrim hurling at most levels has a problem with developing forwards of real note. I'd put that down to damage limitation team selections from clubs all the way through juvenile. It needs addressing at juvenile, but I'm not quite sure how at the minute. 
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Minder

Quote from: TheGeneral on April 05, 2011, 10:14:39 AM
Quote from: maxpower on April 05, 2011, 08:12:22 AM

At minor level perhaps, he would need to shift a fair bit of timber if he is going to play senior hurling.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ruairi

The skull1, what I am saying is there are alot more people around the county with alot more potential than him. I would take swap him for any one of Dunloys 6 forwards, Loughiels 6, prob 4 of Glenarriffes etc.......at least they would be quick. I think he is slow off the mark, loses alot of ball. I know that just because someone isnt scoring doesnt mean they are playing bad, if they are breaking ball and setting up scores. I dont think he is doing that effectively. He is extremely poor under a high ball, considering his size.

In the past, a man of that physique could get away with playing county hurling without having too much pace.....since then the overall pace has increased and i think someone like him can be badly exposed by quick and powerful playing. Basically i would pick any one of the other subs ahead of him.

A bit harsh in my synopsis, but since you asked me to elaborate on if thought there were more of county standard out there......i would say there are people with alot more potential. 

theskull1

Fair enough....I haven't seen him play enough but though he was doing rightly in the NHL from the odd report I'd read

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

ruairi

He never played bad on purpose for cushendall so you can't be too negative on the lad, but how he is representing Antrim is beyond me.

I suppose now i have got that rant off my chest i can relax again. What's the chances of getting a big turnout for the Limerick game?

gelvis

Quote from: ruairi on April 05, 2011, 03:04:16 PM
He never played bad on purpose for cushendall so you can't be too negative on the lad, but how he is representing Antrim is beyond me. I suppose now i have got that rant off my chest i can relax again. What's the chances of getting a big turnout for the Limerick game?

I think Dinny's having a bit of a change of approach to the whole set up this year.  I know there were a few of last years U21s he spoke to (CC being one) about stepping up to the seniors this year because, and I quote "a fella of your size could do alot at senior".  So far I think three of them have started a game, one went to England and theres a few other ones who were alot smaller but are part of the panel now too.
"If you worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on"

TheGeneral

He is called the Claw due to his catching ability, he was christened this by Eion Kelly(tipp) once he was up a few moons ago...

Quote from: TheGeneral on Today at 10:14:39 AM
Quote from: maxpower on Today at 08:12:22 AM

At minor level perhaps, he would need to shift a fair bit of timber if he is going to play senior hurling.

Hes been hurling senior a brave bit now . tbh the man or should i say boy is 6.4 and is a brave lump to say the least, but what he lacks in speed he makes up for in sheer strength and accuracy.
Goals win championships