Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the colonel

from BBC

Antrim 0-10 1-6 Carlow 

Neil McManus struck the winning point with two minutes left as the Saffrons edged out Carlow in Sunday's Allianz NFL Division two game at Casement Park.

Paudie Kehoe netted after 30 minutes in a tight first half which ended with Carlow 1-4 to 0-4 ahead.

Antrim fought back early in second half with points from Michael Herron, Karl Stewart and Simon McCrory pointed.

The Ulster side drew level before McManus fired over his fifth point to secure a narrow win.

Kehoe's long free found its way into the net after the ball was fumbled by an Antrim player.

A scuffle broke out between the teams at half-time but order was soon restored.

the difference between success and failure is energy

múinteoirmór

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 13, 2011, 02:52:36 PM
Worst game ever!! conditions not helping. Point each after 22 mins
The weather conditions were diabolical in the first half and both teams really struggled with the ball.  A lot of ball scrambling and players slipping which was only to be expected.  Although, with the ball in the hand, ball striking by both teams was poor.  I dare say the ball would not have been that heavy!

Apparently, Dinny gave the lads a roasting at half time?  They seemed a bit more alert in the second half, and the weather conditions did improve a little.  A fairly spirited display by the lads as they tagged back the deficit.  Overall though, a poor performance by both teams.  But hey, hurling in such weather does not lend itself to good hurling!

A little surprised by some of the players who started, team selection a little strange IMO.  Karl Stewart and Hippy on the line for first half.  Carson still to prove himself under a dropping ball, you would expect a man of his size to be a little more gritty and prominent!!!
We haven't gone away ya know!!!!  And just as long as we beat the Huns (Johns) Gerrys wee team!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on March 13, 2011, 11:08:56 PM
Crap game and playing conditions were bad enough (but not that f**king bad!). Easy clause to disguise some amount of poor hurling. It doesn't disguise f**king about with stupid passes around the half back line. It doesn't disguise how we were fought off every ball by a Carlow team with a bit of fight and hunger. It doesn't disguise how our forward line couldn't win a ball if you drilled it up their holes.

We were very lucky and very shite today.

To quote a big, lanky Cushendall man as Antrim came out of the changing rooms:

"Did yis get new hurls today? Have yis been fcukin shown how to use them?"

It was bad.

Agree with every word hardstation, that was dire today and embarrassing if I'm honest. I'm really not joking here but I'd have done a better job that some of the lads on today!! The big lad Carson came on and was dung but he wasn't on his own. Wanted Shane playing from the start these last few weeks, he started today and only for him being sub'd i didn't know he was on!!! (I'm not Dall bashing here BTW)

Dropping balls into the back of the net is a crime and we did it today. Some great play by Carlow but they couldn't punish our bad play. I believe their senior clubs play in the Kilkenny leagues so they were not to be taken lightly. I know Karl had a serious head cold so that's why he didn't start. Glad he came on.

But we have seen this before (last season) and managed to produce great game or two in the championship so i'll hold judgement till then.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

NAG1

Still concerned by this lack of respect for the NHL, why do we treat it with disdain when it is a perfect training ground for our established and some of the emerging players?

múinteoirmór

Leagues are for playing and bleeding a few players, (especially at this time of year)  Championships are for winning!!!!!  I would not get too excited just yet people.  Atrocious conditions, damp and cold.  Granted they pissed about a lot, made crucial and fundemental errors, but hey it is only early March and they have another win under their belt.  Carlow have aways been a sticky wicket for Antrim. But we really shoud not judge performances of hurling in such bad weather conditions.  A win is a win is a win, (which they fought hard for in the end)!!!!!!!
We haven't gone away ya know!!!!  And just as long as we beat the Huns (Johns) Gerrys wee team!

ruairi

It certainly is good to get the points. We have been on the wrong side of tights games in the past. could be worse.Carlow played in a bad game and lost. At least we won. Keeps us away from the bottom of the table.

There has to be some common ground between bringing new players in and aiming for promotion. I agree that the Championships are for winning but it wouldnt do any harm to go into those games with confidence after being promoted.

I think theres a good opportunity in Leinster this year. Will be close game with Laois, with the winner playing a Wexford team which aren't any better than anyone in division 2. Should be interesting.

NAG1

Have we been winning any championships lately?

Time for a rethink as to how we do things starting with the approach to the league. Look at the progress Dublin have made (yes I know bigger resources) but they started with taking the NHL seriously and used it as a building block, no one is now suprised when they beat one of the big boys.

4father

Quote from: NAG1 on March 15, 2011, 08:34:27 AM

Time for a rethink as to how we do things starting with the approach to the league. Look at the progress Dublin have made (yes I know bigger resources) but they started with taking the NHL seriously and used it as a building block, no one is now suprised when they beat one of the big boys.

Couldn't agree more.  Combination needed of a few things to make the break through that Dublin have made. 

1. Need for full time GAA employees needed for an urban project similar to that of Dublin's.  (Something silly like 40 full time staff dedicated to developing hurling alone in Dublin - i think we have one maybe two in the entire county).

2. In Belfast, there are only ever a small bunch of clubs who are giving it a lash at one time.  Rossa, St Johns and always one other.  At the minute, that other is probably St Enda's, before it was GNM who have now faded away at juvenile level.  We need all of the clubs to get serious about hurling.

3. We need a to be patient!

NAG1

There is an Urban strategy for Belfast and there is a full time paid official working in the Springfield Rd area specifically.

I agree this is not enough, but what we have isnt producing enough either whether that is true lack of management or whatever it needs to be addressed.

Milltown Row2

Will I in my life time see Antrim back in an All Ireland? (with the current format)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnneycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 15, 2011, 10:45:56 AM
Will I in my life time see Antrim back in an All Ireland? (with the current format)

What age are you?   ;D

IMO the backdoor system has actually helped the hurling powers to maintain their stranglehold on the All Irelands.

Many's a year you could catch one of them cold early in the championship and that would be that, now they can regroup through the backdoor to eventually win out.
You could also add to that the fact that now a lot of the first round games aren't full pelt as lesser teams aren't too concerned about the provincial championships and are happy with a good run in the qualifiers!

NAG1

Well not in the current format and we all know the barriers that exist and espeicially now in these times of hardship for everyone, getting posts and demanding money for hurling isnt top priority.

But if we could get a structure in place making Belfast a special case and really working on the development of the game within the city then we would have a chance of following Dublin at least up into the next bracket of top teams.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnneycool on March 15, 2011, 10:49:53 AM

What age are you?   ;D

IMO the backdoor system has actually helped the hurling powers to maintain their stranglehold on the All Irelands.

Many's a year you could catch one of them cold early in the championship and that would be that, now they can regroup through the backdoor to eventually win out.
You could also add to that the fact that now a lot of the first round games aren't full pelt as lesser teams aren't too concerned about the provincial championships and are happy with a good run in the qualifiers!

Younger than you and getting younger by the day!! (season round the corner again ;))

yeah i believe that the hurling powers have only got better, i would like to see for a couple of seasons a Knockout draw. Home fixtures till the semi finals.

gelvis

Quote from: NAG1 on March 15, 2011, 08:34:27 AM

Were the leagues not taken alot more serious under the last few management teams and they didn't get too far in the Championship either?  Dublin have bigger resources, more senior level club teams and a hell of alot more players to pick a panel from.  I just can't see our boys having the will to go flat out from season start to end.  Its all half arsed until a week or two before Championship.
"If you worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on"

Tony Baloney

Funny I was thinking about this the other week and the fact that 20+ years on Antrim are further away from the top table than ever. As johnney says there is a chance of an upset every year in the Championship but inevitably these experienced counties are able to regroup and rarely get caught cold twice.

It has been talked about on here forever about a straight knockout post-provincial championships or a Champions League style affair with seeded groups of 4. The Munster Championship seems to have protected status so it is unlikely to change anytime soon. Until one of these come to fruition Antrim will be feeding off scraps well after you're in a box!