Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

IMO it was a non starter anyway, how would someone committ to a county set up fully while still playing clubs games in the south? Didnt make sense to me.

Quote from: Last Man on February 23, 2011, 09:34:05 AM
Haven't seen this one before, should be interesting.
"Promoting individuality, freedom of expression & risk taking into the session"

In other words how to work with the mavericks in every team, maybe two of the boys from one of the earlier workshops could have been drafted in as prime examples of this type of player  :D

JamesH

I find it a joke that Ronan hasn't been at least approached by Dinny , he was the most consistant keeper in the league last year Mc Gee included( cost dunloy victory) in league v The Dall last year. Ronan has the biggest puck in the County his weak point when younger was catching which def isn't now, he is a lot braver that COC or Mc Garry who seemed to be in the back of the net before the ball was struck. He is The Dall's no1 as Fred doesn't make the half way line with puck outs which is a problem. At 27/28 he has experience and works hard and isn't a messer nor a drinker during the season, Does Dinny read this Board?

Last Man

Fair comment JH. I always see him spectating at county games so clearly has an interest. I know he puts a lot of work into his game as all good keepers should.

theskull1

Quote from: Last Man on February 23, 2011, 08:36:52 AM
Yes goin down to it, Have you finalised the lunch menu skull.

EGM call for tonight to get it sorted LM. Club is spilt between egg or ham?

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

NAG1

JamesH - Id have to take issue with your glowing assessment. R is a massively improved goal keeper but he is not of the standard of shot stopping of either of the three, DQ GMcG or RMcG. Also all three on their day have a better more accurate puck out, just lumping it long isnt alwyas the answer.

Just stating my opinion nothing against the lad at all.

the colonel

Quote from: NAG1 on February 23, 2011, 01:53:25 PM
JamesH - Id have to take issue with your glowing assessment. R is a massively improved goal keeper but he is not of the standard of shot stopping of either of the three, DQ GMcG or RMcG. Also all three on their day have a better more accurate puck out, just lumping it long isnt alwyas the answer.

Just stating my opinion nothing against the lad at all.

Again entitled to opinion but as I earlied stated Ronan has never let us down or had goals conceeded in games due to poor shot stopping. It hasn't been a Cushendall tactic to use a short poc out so that's not Ronan's fault. To be honest we've never had tactic's anywhere. The three you mentioned aren't available for different reasons, so RK would be the most logical choice for me
the difference between success and failure is energy

NAG1

Colonel wasnt disputing the fact that he should be asked to keep goals for the county as he very well may be and he would be my preference to any of the other contenders available. My point was simply that while he is a good keeper he would IMO just be slightly below the level of the other three mentioned.

theskull1

I'm sure there are a dozen or more club hurlers out there who are more than up to the standard on IC but for one reason or another can't/won't commit. Far better encouraging and supporting those who have committed or are prepared to rather than being negative about their ability relative to those who won't commit. 
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

JamesH

I would say NAG1 both DD and R Mc G more so the later until Sat is constansly caught out on short puck outs, a tactic used badly by S&W in their time with the county. Mc Garry caused the town 1-2 against us in the league last year. RK is quite accurate on long puck although if forwards or midfield don't make runs they are hard to pick out, it should be easier with better players than in the club,  just saying in our predicament he's worth a look at. Mc Ghee shouldn't even be mentioned as he doesn't want to know his own club can't depend on him. COC has a mistake every game.
First game in UL on Sat in Town so gives us something to do, great and county boys available.

Trout

Kearney probably is worth a look, only because of the current situation though. I would have thought a manager would have taken a chance on him at some stage by now if they thought he was up to it. IMHO he isn't mobile enough, but certainly worth a chance. I would also say that RK could be on the bench for Cdall in the next year or two as the young minor keeper, McAllister I think, is supposed to be a cracker. I saw him in the minor semi v the Town and it was as good a performance as I have seen between the sticks.
Sinn Fein delivers -

British rule

TheGeneral

Re: ANTRIM HURLING
« Reply #10322 on: Today at 10:00:53 AM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kearney probably is worth a look, only because of the current situation though. I would have thought a manager would have taken a chance on him at some stage by now if they thought he was up to it. IMHO he isn't mobile enough, but certainly worth a chance. I would also say that RK could be on the bench for Cdall in the next year or two as the young minor keeper, McAllister I think, is supposed to be a cracker. I saw him in the minor semi v the Town and it was as good a performance as I have seen between the sticks.

Also will agree with you on this one , mc allister is a great shop stopper , great poc outs and stick work is great , his only problem would be under the high ball but as a very light in build lad , hoping he will fill out next year or two and be braver and im sure hell be No1 for club and county, best striker of a ball ive seen , hits it as far as any senior kepper with deadly accuracy ... keeping his interest would also be a big thing though being in an undefeated minor team of cushendalls this year has made him keep interest for the moment
Goals win championships

múinteoirmór

Quote from: TheGeneral on February 24, 2011, 12:44:45 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also will agree with you on this one , mc allister is a great shop stopper , great poc outs and stick work is great , his only problem would be under the high ball but as a very light in build lad , hoping he will fill out next year or two and be braver and im sure hell be No1 for club and county, best striker of a ball ive seen , hits it as far as any senior kepper with deadly accuracy ... keeping his interest would also be a big thing though being in an undefeated minor team of cushendalls this year has made him keep interest for the moment
Teams win championships!
We haven't gone away ya know!!!!  And just as long as we beat the Huns (Johns) Gerrys wee team!

Just Puck It

General, would you say that this boy, McAlister, should be pushing onto the Cushendall Senior panel in the near future?  From what I can see, the dall' have their pick of keepers at the moment in RK, FMcA, and EG, will CMcA push them all out the door?

TheGeneral

Quote from: Just Puck It on February 24, 2011, 11:45:54 PM

General, would you say that this boy, McAlister, should be pushing onto the Cushendall Senior panel in the near future?  From what I can see, the dall' have their pick of keepers at the moment in RK, FMcA, and EG, will CMcA push them all out the door?

In my opinion i believe he should be, hes got plenty of talent although he could do with some help under the high ball (like us all) i dnt think hell push them all out the door as such but i think he'd be contending for there places were it be between the sticks , or on the bench for the seniors...
Goals win championships

Just Puck It

Looking in from the outside, I think you may be right.  All to often the goalkeeping position is forgotten about and there isn't generally a great challenge for the position.  If he concentrates his efforts on continuously improving I can see him making that push sooner rather than later.  At 18 he has the potential to be brilliant - and I've only seen him play in one championship season! 

Does he need help under the high ball?  I'm nearly sure he didn't drop a ball in any games I've seen?  He might be a wirey lad but he's got a brave height about him.  His progression onto the senior setup will be the real teller.