Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

why do they enter it if they are going to do that, it is supposed to be used as pre season warm up games and they are cancelling them.

Also why are the semi's and final planned for August when the championship will be on and no one will be interested in a pre season friendly tournament? Why not just rattle it off up to Easter and be done with it.

the colonel

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 15, 2011, 08:56:42 AM
I think if your a good hurler, good hands and have a good eye for the ball then nets shouldn't really be a big problem.

Any news of when the Championship draws are being made? We are waiting on getting Loughgiel again, tenth year in a row i'd say.

Apparently entried were to be received last night with the draws to be made on the 28th. I think that was stated on the county guestbook a few weeks ago

Don't know who they are going to get for goals. Maybe a keeper they would have lined up for the u21's. Is the game this Sunday?
the difference between success and failure is energy

Fairhead

I recently read the Limerick hurling book "Unlimited Heartbreak" and there is an interesting little paragraph in it (given the week that's in it) concerning Loughgiel's last All Ireland semi final appearance in 1990. Tom Ryan, the former Limerick manager, gave his thoughts on Ballybrowns trip up to Loughgiel:

"We played Loughgiel in the semi-final and they had half of Antrim picked when we went up to play them. That was unbelievable altogether because it was played in the Glens of Antrim and every trick in the book was pulled to try and sidetrack us – drink and pubs, you name it. They were giving us free drink the night before and everything! We won in the North by a point and there was a battle royale after the match, the referee even got clocked."

Interesting view from Tom Ryan on Loughgiels team that day!!!! I was at that match and from recollection it wasn't a classic but it was tight. I think the score was something like 0.8 to 0.7 but I don't remember a row at the end with the ref involved, but probably I didn't hang around at the end to commiserate with the Loughgiel team and fans so never saw it!! I do remember Ballybrown being a big physical side and one player in particular always stuck in my head. He was either their centre forward or full forward who was a giant with a beard.

Maybe Loughgiel should adopt a similar approach this weekend and head down and stay in Kilkenny on Friday night and get the OLG players out for a few Smithwicks (you know them Kilkenny ones can't resist a Smithwicks)?

múinteoirmór

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 14, 2011, 08:23:13 PM
I was asked(played nets for county when i was a nipper) but wife wouldn't let me go!

I think you wife made a very wise decision MR2, god bless her, a true Antrim Gael at heart!
;D
We haven't gone away ya know!!!!  And just as long as we beat the Huns (Johns) Gerrys wee team!

clootfromthe21

Quote from: Fairhead on February 15, 2011, 06:08:40 PM

"We played Loughgiel in the semi-final and they had half of Antrim picked when we went up to play them. That was unbelievable altogether because it was played in the Glens of Antrim and every trick in the book was pulled to try and sidetrack us – drink and pubs, you name it. They were giving us free drink the night before and everything! We won in the North by a point and there was a battle royale after the match, the referee even got clocked."

Was at that game myself Fairhead - seem to remember that weather conditions were pretty abysmal during it. Loughgiel built up a bit of a lead with the strong wind in the first half and Ballybrown came back in the second half to win by a point. There was a fair old pitch invasion after the full time whistle and I think there were a few suspensions handed out for incidents after the game. I have a (nick) name in my head with regard to one of the suspendees, but I'll not repeat for fear of defaming him!

As regards Saturday's gane, Andy Comerford had this to say in this morning's Indo:

"We're in a different position going into this match and we definitely won't be taking Loughgiel Shamrocks for granted. I played against (Antrim teams) as a player and we know what they bring to the table and that's ultimate commitment. They have done some great underage work and they do great hurling work in general in various parts of Antrim. They'll go for us for the 60 minutes.

"We'll have to keep a close eye on Liam Watson -- he's a serious forward as he proved last year on Eoin Cadogan at Croke Park. He's well able to take points and he could bury you.

"I have footage on them, a couple of DVDs and I saw them first hand when I was with Kildare and they won't lack anything for commitment.

"Some of our younger players wouldn't have experience of playing against northern teams and they are a different breed of hurler. They will fight to the bitter end and the younger players on our team will have to be steeled up for that."

NAG1

Wonder where OLG's got the DVD's from, hope it wasnt some of the other Antrim clubs in a revenge mission for past misdemeanors  ;)

pdiddy

I recently read the Limerick hurling book "Unlimited Heartbreak" and there is an interesting little paragraph in it (given the week that's in it) concerning Loughgiel's last All Ireland semi final appearance in 1990. Tom Ryan, the former Limerick manager, gave his thoughts on Ballybrowns trip up to Loughgiel:

Interesting view from Tom Ryan on Loughgiels team that day!!!! I was at that match and from recollection it wasn't a classic but it was tight. I think the score was something like 0.8 to 0.7 but I don't remember a row at the end with the ref involved, but probably I didn't hang around at the end to commiserate with the Loughgiel team and fans so never saw it!! I do remember Ballybrown being a big physical side and one player in particular always stuck in my head. He was either their centre forward or full forward who was a giant with a beard.

Maybe Loughgiel should adopt a similar approach this weekend and head down and stay in Kilkenny on Friday night and get the OLG players out for a few Smithwicks (you know them Kilkenny ones can't resist a Smithwicks)?

"half of Antrim picked" - He's obviously referring to cloot, 1 player.  Therefore I wouldn't pay much heed to the rest of his statement.

With regard to the row after the game, yes unfortunately there was a melee but this was only between a few Loughgiel subs and Loughgiel management.

When a team loses, there's always a row at half time, but when they win, its an inspirational speech

Two Hands FFS

Sorry PDiddy...do you mean Loughgiel players & management were fighting each other?? I dont remember so that's why I ask.

I see PJ has stated in the Irish Star yesterday that Barney is 50/50 for the match due to a calf injury. I'd be extremely shocked if he isn't playing... He'll be playing!!!

The likes of the DVD's the Gaels have would be easy enough got. Most of the clubs involved will have obtained DVDs of their opposition... You'd be crazy not to...as long as you dont worry too much about what you've seen & concentrate on your own performance

pdiddy

Yeah the Loughgiel Mgmt and subs fought with each other that day.  It was more of a family feud than anything else.

When a team loses, there's always a row at half time, but when they win, its an inspirational speech

NAG1

the colonel

HS  :D

Where will Watson play? Corner forward?

I take it Sean Hawes will be available this weekend?
the difference between success and failure is energy

theskull1

Quote from: hardstation on February 16, 2011, 11:01:27 AM
Quote from: pdiddy on February 16, 2011, 10:51:51 AM
Yeah the Loughgiel Mgmt and subs fought with each other that day.  It was more of a family feud than anything else.
Everyone in Loughgiel involved?

Oi!! Leave it
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

NAG1

Yeah I would say LG will target the perceived weakest of the defenders and stick him there, however I would say OLG's will have a plan for him anyway. So it will be up to the rest of them to chip in with the scores.

Fairhead

Quote from: clootfromthe21 on February 16, 2011, 09:26:46 AM

Christ if you were an OLG fan, after reading all of the interview with Andy Comerford in the Independent, you would nearly wonder is it worth your while going to Parnell Park on Saturday. Hes obviously being reading from Brian Cody's Big Book of Pre-Match Interviews and the chaper entitled "Pre-match Mindgames and Nonsense with the Press".

Was at that game myself Fairhead - seem to remember that weather conditions were pretty abysmal during it. Loughgiel built up a bit of a lead with the strong wind in the first half and Ballybrown came back in the second half to win by a point. There was a fair old pitch invasion after the full time whistle and I think there were a few suspensions handed out for incidents after the game. I have a (nick) name in my head with regard to one of the suspendees, but I'll not repeat for fear of defaming him!

As regards Saturday's gane, Andy Comerford had this to say in this morning's Indo:

"We're in a different position going into this match and we definitely won't be taking Loughgiel Shamrocks for granted. I played against (Antrim teams) as a player and we know what they bring to the table and that's ultimate commitment. They have done some great underage work and they do great hurling work in general in various parts of Antrim. They'll go for us for the 60 minutes.

"We'll have to keep a close eye on Liam Watson -- he's a serious forward as he proved last year on Eoin Cadogan at Croke Park. He's well able to take points and he could bury you.

"I have footage on them, a couple of DVDs and I saw them first hand when I was with Kildare and they won't lack anything for commitment.

"Some of our younger players wouldn't have experience of playing against northern teams and they are a different breed of hurler. They will fight to the bitter end and the younger players on our team will have to be steeled up for that."

Fairhead

Quote from: clootfromthe21 on February 16, 2011, 09:26:46 AM

Oops, this looks a bit better.

Christ if you were an OLG fan, after reading all of the interview with Andy Comerford in the Independent, you would nearly wonder is it worth your while going to Parnell Park on Saturday. Hes obviously being reading from Brian Cody's Big Book of Pre-Match Interviews and the chaper entitled "Pre-match Mindgames and Nonsense with the Press".