Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesH

A bit harsh to say Dinny doesn't like the Johnnies, he has the best of a bad bunch already on the panel. Now Shane not on team is strange perhaps he's injured. Another strange one is keeper, have we not a keeper from one of our own clubs available? Although he's bound to be better than the last one. Ryan Mc Garry has applied for an extension to his visa which is a big loss to the Town's chances of winning Div 2

múinteoirmór

Quote from: JamesH on February 09, 2011, 02:51:59 PM
A bit harsh to say Dinny doesn't like the Johnnies, he has the best of a bad bunch already on the panel. Now Shane not on team is strange perhaps he's injured. Another strange one is keeper, have we not a keeper from one of our own clubs available? Although he's bound to be better than the last one. Ryan Mc Garry has applied for an extension to his visa which is a big loss to the Town's chances of winning Div 2
Just telling it, like it is!
We haven't gone away ya know!!!!  And just as long as we beat the Huns (Johns) Gerrys wee team!

the colonel

Quote from: múinteoirmór on February 09, 2011, 02:59:58 PM
Quote from: JamesH on February 09, 2011, 02:51:59 PM
Just telling it, like it is!

Your saying how you think it is. Not neccesarily how we think it is

Some strange choices there. Keeper situation is odd. I'm sure Ollie Baker has something to do with this. Shane must be injured or just rested rather than dropped in my opinion. Paddy McNaughton off the 24 althogether.  Conor Carson scored 3-1 for QUB during the week so keeping him in one position will be vital as suggested in the last few weeks.

Strong backline alright there. Is KMcGourty still in the squad? Not sure if M.Armstrong will suit playing at No11
the difference between success and failure is energy

múinteoirmór

Quote from: hardstation on February 09, 2011, 03:06:37 PM
Quote from: múinteoirmór on February 09, 2011, 12:50:23 PM
Is Keiran McGourty no longer on the squad?  Glad to see the McFalls on the bench.  I think Dinny sees that the 'Johns' 'Div 1' players are not up to the mark, although S McCrory certainly does warrant his place.  I am sure to get a reaction from Groundlie here me thinks!  Truth be told though, Dinny does not like the 'Johns' either.
True, nothing to do with the Johnnies though.
St. Enda's coached him
St. John's poached him.

As sure Hardstation, they (the John's) need all the help they can get.  They were always good at the aul poaching!
We haven't gone away ya know!!!!  And just as long as we beat the Huns (Johns) Gerrys wee team!

tom moore83

loughgiel beat down 1-11 4-17, loughgiel experimented slightly a should have won by twicw as much. Coming together nicely and hopefully can take on to AISF

NAG1

Think that proves my concern about the standard of matches. But guess we will have to wait and see on that front.

the colonel

Its a matter of who else can ya play before hand. Also there's travel problems. Only choice midweek really. Or are you thinking playing opposition at that level is more of a hinderance than a help?
the difference between success and failure is energy

johnneycool

Quote from: tom moore83 on February 10, 2011, 02:21:57 AM
loughgiel beat down 1-11 4-17, loughgiel experimented slightly a should have won by twicw as much. Coming together nicely and hopefully can take on to AISF

I'd be surprised it was even remotely close to a full strength Down team as they've a tough game against Carlow on Sunday.

There's nothing to gain from playing poor opposition. They'd have been better playing a training game against themselves.

JamesH

In The Dall's experience matches against Down and the Johnnies are vital not for the first 15 as such but for the next 15 who need game time and to keep them feeling part of the panel not just making up training numbers, perhaps first team players are recovering from injury/short of confidence so the matches have advantages. It will not make any difference to the AISF result. Heard last night Shane was just not picked or dropped which ever way you look at it.

Glensman

Quote from: johnneycool on February 10, 2011, 09:34:25 AM

I'd be surprised it was even remotely close to a full strength Down team as they've a tough game against Carlow on Sunday.

There's nothing to gain from playing poor opposition. They'd have been better playing a training game against themselves.

Diasgree - I reckon its always better to play against different opposition.
Do you really go in as hard as you can against team mates with a big game coming up?? (not sure anyone does except for the Kilkenny hurlers...).

Also - in an in-house game do you split the 'starting' (they should have a fair idea of their team by now) Loughgeil forwards and backs up and let them play against each other?
That way there would be better competition at one end of the field...but similarly they need to be playing together as a unit.
Jonny Campbell/Barney McAuley need to be picking out Winker etc etc....not marking him.

johnneycool

Quote from: Glensman on February 10, 2011, 10:06:01 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on February 10, 2011, 09:34:25 AM

Diasgree - I reckon its always better to play against different opposition.
Do you really go in as hard as you can against team mates with a big game coming up?? (not sure anyone does except for the Kilkenny hurlers...).

Also - in an in-house game do you split the 'starting' (they should have a fair idea of their team by now) Loughgeil forwards and backs up and let them play against each other?
That way there would be better competition at one end of the field...but similarly they need to be playing together as a unit.
Jonny Campbell/Barney McAuley need to be picking out Winker etc etc....not marking him.

Loughgeil have a pretty strong seconds string so it might be competitive enough. It'd certainly be more competitive than a game against a weak Down team with an eye on a bigger game come sunday.

Easy games against poor opposition give a false sense of security and bad habits would creep in which would be found out against teams like O'Loughlin gaels.

Just my opinion though.

pdiddy

We're trying to fit in as many games as possible.  Weekends away to play against the likes of Dublin, DCU, Wexford, Carlow (rained off unfortunately)  coupled with local Mid-week games. 
Agreed that it would be best to play agaisnt better opposition each game but given the time of year and geography its not always possible.
When a team loses, there's always a row at half time, but when they win, its an inspirational speech

múinteoirmór

And apparently, this high score was contributed by none other than Liam Watson!  I though you said he was not on the team, ousted off the panel by fellow players and would not be playing on the 19th February!  Well!  :-\

NAG1

Somehow I dont think he will be afforded as much room or as much good grace next week.

Also there wont be the same level of protection from the ref as he gets up here. Be interesting to see how he handles that.

pdiddy

Quote from: NAG1 on February 11, 2011, 08:30:52 AM
Somehow I dont think he will be afforded as much room or as much good grace next week.

Also there wont be the same level of protection from the ref as he gets up here. Be interesting to see how he handles that.

You are having a laugh NAG  ???
When a team loses, there's always a row at half time, but when they win, its an inspirational speech