Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

What price Westmeath???

Did i not read somewhere that Karl Stewart was not available till start of league?

I would have loved us to get a crack at Dublin again but fear we could lose out, with 24 hours of rain expected the young lads up front will not win much ball on a heavy pitch. Westmeath have plenty of motivation when playing Antrim and this won't be an easy game. Agreed JamesH, the defence and midfield (should that be the team) is strong, watched Michael Herron play centrehalf back for his club last few seasons and he wins a lot of ball and this might work out better for him and Antrim.

I'll not be down for this game but will make the next should we win
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

theskull1

Interesting line out

Personally think its great to see so many Div2 hurlers getting a start. In every other county there are excellent hurlers from these leagues who are as good as anyone in Div1 so why not in Antrim. I hope it goes well

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

ruairi

carsons pace will be badly exposed.....puzzled by Dinnys inclusion?

Goalkeeper?

Herron should give a decent account of himself in backs or forwards. He's a talented hurler, but he is definitely 1 of the 6 best forwards in antrim. Probably going to have to move up the field later in season.   

Where's Shields, P Richmond? Are they involved with antrim this year?

Hamill is an excellent sub to have for championship, and if on form should be pushing for starting 15.

Overall you would have to fancy Westmeaths chances, but its definitely the right time to try out new players. hopefully get a couple of positive performances to build on last years performances in championship.   

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ruairi on January 15, 2011, 11:36:08 PM
carsons pace will be badly exposed.....puzzled by Dinnys inclusion?

Goalkeeper?

Herron should give a decent account of himself in backs or forwards. He's a talented hurler, but he is definitely 1 of the 6 best forwards in antrim. Probably going to have to move up the field later in season.   

Where's Shields, P Richmond? Are they involved with antrim this year?

Hamill is an excellent sub to have for championship, and if on form should be pushing for starting 15.

Overall you would have to fancy Westmeaths chances, but its definitely the right time to try out new players. hopefully get a couple of positive performances to build on last years performances in championship.

Carson not the worst, the weather will mean that the "Bear in the square" tactic is alive and kicking. No doubt it's the time to play the squad players. Don't run down your own players Ruairi
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Just Puck It

Any update from the match in Mullingar?

ruairi

i was just giving my opinion. wasnt all negative. herron is very good and i hope that the other few new players that i have heard so much about step up. Can only benefit antrim. I just think theres no point including people in a panel who arent up to county hurling in my opinion. obviosly Dinny see's something different. 

I don't think the 'bear in the square' is still alive in county hurling. Maybe i could be wrong but mosts full backs in Ireland should be able to deal with our full forward.Thats why I asked about Paddy RIchmond. Quick over first 5 yards, vision and ability to take a tackle and take a score. 

ruairi

1-05 til 0-05 at half time to antrim

aontroim

Westmeath 2-09 2-07 Antrim

Is that a latest or a result?

Seems it wasnt!

Westmeath 2-11 3-12 Antrim FT

the colonel

good scoring for a very inexperienced forward line
the difference between success and failure is energy

ruairi

That's a good result. westmeath are of a similar standard to antim. Well done to the inexperienced forward line.

Let preparations start for the next round.

the colonel

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/9363402.stm

Substitute PJ O'Connell was Antrim's hero as the Saffrons advanced to a Walsh Cup quarter-final against Dublin after this win in Mullingar on Sunday.

Antrim led 1-5 to 0-5 at half-time, with Michael Armstrong scoring the goal for Dinny Cahill's side.

Darren Hamill bagged a second Antrim goal before Brian Smyth and Alan Devine netted to put Westmeath in front.

O'Connell bagged 1-4 in the final quarter as the visitors held off a determined Westmeath challenge.

O'Connell was introduced with 10 minutes left and quickly turned the game in Antrim's favour.

the difference between success and failure is energy

Milltown Row2

Ahoghill's PJ O'Connell proved the Antrim's hero at Mullingar on Sunday when a late scoring burst of 1-4 in the final ten minutes guided the Saffrons to victory over Westemeath in the opening round of the Walsh Cup.
With a largely experimental forward line on show Antrim did well in the opening half and boosted by a goal from newcomer Michael Armstrong they went on to lead by 1-5 to 0-5 at half-time.
Glenarm's Darren Hamill fired in a second goal for the visitors but Westmeath hit back and goals from Brian Smyth and Alan Devine put the Midlanders in front.
For a time it appeared that all Antrim's good work would go to waste but the introduction of O'Connell saw the game switch dramatically as the Cloney Gaels man grabbed a goal and four points in an amazing finish to see Antrim through to a semi-final meeting with Dublin on Sunday next. .

Great win for this inexperienced team. O'Connell at club level is something special. can win and usually does win games for his club on his own (I'm not disrespecting the other players at Clooney) If he baulks out a bit this year then at County level he'll be very good.

Should head down to Dublin next week. Be funny seeing Daly and Baker on opposing lines.

clootfromthe21

Scoring 1-4 in 10 minutes of hurling is fairly impressive by any standards!!!!!!

aontroim

Just heard that following the county meeting tonight the hurling leagues are staying as they were last year, so Ballycastle in Div 2 and St. John's in Div 1.  Also 2 to be relegated from Div 2 & 3 to make them 8 team leagues again in 2012.

nrico2006

Quote from: aontroim on January 17, 2011, 11:56:31 PM
Just heard that following the county meeting tonight the hurling leagues are staying as they were last year, so Ballycastle in Div 2 and St. John's in Div 1.  Also 2 to be relegated from Div 2 & 3 to make them 8 team leagues again in 2012.

What are the complete line-ups per division?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'