Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syd

Quote from: milltown row on May 14, 2007, 03:24:33 PM
i take it it was just a cut for tosh, he'll be playing this wed?

it will be nip and tuck this wed against yourselves Syd, our lads are playing a under21 final this friday so we might be missing some will find out tonight. might get another run out 8)

Aye he got stitches in it, Woody told him not to bother going back on because the match was over after 10 minutes. Our manager and his son, Paul Mc Donnell work in Wexford so cant make midweek games, he would be one of our better forwards but Tosh would have been a massive loss if he wasnt playing.

youngfella

shields and mcauley, no use then?? what was pinky like man-ing the square?
Pull hard and early

Glensman

McGarry - At fault for one of the goals I would say (think it was dropped into the net). Super puck outs though - Picked men out well. Won't have that much time and space against decent opposition - 6.

Kettle - Didn't have much to do. First half was makring no-one due to them playing 3rd midfielder. What he did he did well. - 7

McCambridge - Again not loads of action but was coming under a bit of pressure from London's full forward when he actually played there in the second half - 6

Delargy - played well. Pick of the defence I thought - 7 1/2.

McAuley - hurled well enough I thought. Few strong catches - 7.

Campbell - Best Johnny has played for a while. Will need to toughen up v bigger opposition - 7

C Herron - solid/consistent as usual. Thankfully after a great game in the league against Dublin it is hopefully the case that we are saying Ciaran was solid as usual - he lost it for a while - 7

B Herron - didn't sparkle but wasn't outplayed - 6

Karl McKeegan - played well enough. battled harder than some. Should have been sent off near the end for putting the feet in a London player's head (not as bad as it sounds but still foolish). Pretty foolish manourve from an 'elder' statesman and if the ref had been applying the letter of the law he would have missed a fair bit of the summer's action - 7.

Karl Stewart - played grand I thought (disagree with someone's earlier comments. Thought he was the best in a dodgy enough half forward line - kept plugging away) - 7

Delargy - played ok. Took a couple of good points but his man got the better of him. Need someone with a bit more hurling savvy at No.11 - 6 1/2

M Herron -  honeslty thought he should have been getting the abuse Stewart was getting earlier on this thread. Some poor decisions and missed a few easy chances second half. Admittedly he made a couple of those chances himself with a couple of runs but against better teams EVERY chance will have to be taken. Again he is arguably a half back - 5 1/2

J Tosh - not on long enough to be rated but quick thinking for the goal from the free...such quick thinking I was reading my program when it happened - where is the big screen for replays at Casement?!

K Kelly - good target man, good hands and two good but different goals. However, a bit infuriating...about 3 occasions tried to pick the ball up with one hand and it didn't work. One time fair enough...not again. Got himself into a couple of good positions where a quick pass would have seen him goal but wasn't passed to (M Herron a couple of times). 7

P Shields - looked quite lightweight. A good bit of ball was going his way first half - some crossfield, some down the line. Should have got a couple more. All the comments said about him apply again - Looks jaded enough (the boy in middle of A Levels) and needs to bulk up. 6 1/2

Brian McFall - poor enough, slow and not particularaly good distribution. If he could get a few more yards of pace that would be super and stick to the things he is good at. I bet a friend a fiver he would stick a sideline over in second half...he is normally super at that...he fluffed it! Did take a good point from an acute angle - 6

Subs..not really on long enough to get rated (I reckon). Excited to see this Colm Duffin on the panel from Randalstown. Fair enough he didn't set the world on fire when he came on but he got stuck in when things weren't going for him. Hopefully, it will come for him.

Antrim generally were there old infuriating selves. Some good passages of play when you are praying, crossing fingers etc that if that was sustained a challenge could be put into a good southern team. Then they fart around, hit numerous wides and let teams back in.
Not as hopeless as some have described but much room for improvement.

Kelly to centre half forward (Would have him full back in my best team), M Molloy in for McAuley, Richmond Full Forward.

Has DD really left the panel? Couldn't see the subs?

Syd

Yes DD has left the panel. There was no sub keeper yesterday, only in Antrim !

johnneycool

from Hoganstand:

McKinley voices concern over Ulster final venue
14 May 2007

Antrim joint-manager Dominic McKinley has questioned the Ulster Council's decision to stage the province's senior hurling final in Newry in the event of Down beating Derry in the remaining semi-final.

"Crowds at Ulster finals are only about 3,000 and they need to look at the reasons behind it and hopefully they're not killing the Ulster final for good," McKinley said after Antrim's comfortable semi-final win over London at Casement Park.

"I have nothing against Newry. I have no problem with playing anywhere as long as there is a field there. But it's disappointing as far as a hurling person goes. I would be very concerned about the crowd.

"I certainly don't think north Antrim people in general would travel to Newry and that's very disappointing for Ulster hurling and I think we need to do something about that. How they'll get a crowd there, I don't know. I don't think it adds up at all."

Now I don't know Mckinley on a personal level but he seems to do a fair amount of whinging or is that just how the press portray him?

milltown row

Johnny are you bringing your reserves to milltown this wed night?

Syd

Quote from: milltown row on May 15, 2007, 08:50:35 AM
Johnny are you bringing your reserves to milltown this wed night?

Who is Johnny?? No we have not entered a reserve team in All County, we play in North Antrim league on a Thursday night.

milltown row

Johnneycool, Syd before your game we are due to play Ballygalget in reserve hurling was wondering if they will be down considering the strange fixture

Syd

Quote from: milltown row on May 15, 2007, 09:33:03 AM
Johnneycool, Syd before your game we are due to play Ballygalget in reserve hurling was wondering if they will be down considering the strange fixture

Oh right, wires crossed. Are youse resting players before u-21 final?

johnneycool

Quote from: milltown row on May 15, 2007, 09:33:03 AM

Our seconds team are playing Ballela tonight so I'll find out then, but as our seniors haven't a game tomorrow night there's a good chance we'll be up.

milltown row

i hope not Syd as thats at least 4 players of our senior team, should get some ruling today, football and hurling is a mix in the club

Syd

Quote from: the colonel on May 16, 2007, 11:17:50 AM
as i am in scotland at uni and not home for it, was just wondering will any of you going to the ulster final if it is in newry?

Dont think i will bother, i do agree with sharing it about though.

Syd

All County Division 1

Glenariffe beat St Galls by 5 tonight in Milltown.  ;D

Bacon

Wednesday 16th May 2007
Antrim Division 1 Hurling

St. Galls  1-10 2-12 Glenariff 
Portaferry  - - Rossa   Not Played
Dunloy  4-33 1-4 Sarsfields   
Ballycastle  2-18 0-9 Lamh Dhearg

Antrim Division 1 Reserve Hurling

St. Galls  - - Ballygalget  Not Played

Antrim Division 2 Hurling

St. Pauls  3-5 1-8 Gaeil Chluana
Shane O Neills  3-8 1-6 Gort Na Mona

Antrim Division 3 Hurling

Ardoyne  2-3 6-11 St. Teresas
Davitts  1-6 6-12 Cloughmills
St. Endas  6-16 1-6 Bredagh 
St. Agnes  2-20 0-3 O Mitchel Og 
Na fuiseoig  2-1 4-10 Larne
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

Guillem2

I'd heard Portaferry didn't want to play Rossa without their county men with the USHC semi final on Sunday. Johnneycool said Ballygelget IIs were playing in Down on Tuesday -maybe they couldn't play 2 nights running?
Talking is an overrated way of communicating.