Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackandAmber

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 19, 2010, 04:22:03 PM
. As long as Ballycastle play div 2 next year that is ;)

It's where they should be but you should set your sights a little higher Milltown Row

NAG1

Skull I was actually agreeing with you, just taking it to the edge. I take on board that it may have been better than previous years, but my point still stands that if the three top teams are playing against each other in dead rubbers at the end of the season when no one cares how can it be described as a decent league?

Granted if these games are looked at and played in the summer when the teams are fit and will actually get something out the game then I wouldnt have an issue.

theskull1

Quote from: NAG1 on October 20, 2010, 08:55:47 AM
Skull I was actually agreeing with you, just taking it to the edge. I take on board that it may have been better than previous years, but my point still stands that if the three top teams are playing against each other in dead rubbers at the end of the season when no one cares how can it be described as a decent league?

Two separate issues NAG

1. The structure/makeup of the leagues
2. The timing of the fixtures especially the high profile matches

I said point 1 was decent and point 2 wasn't. Point 2 can be addressed on its own without needing point 1 looked at. Wheres the confusion here?

Agree with that post Fairhead particularly the points about intercounty (i.e the money spinning part of the GAA). Senior club matches just get shoe horned in and slowly but surely it strips away at the integrity of the local game. With no routine people have developed other interests on summer weekends that don't involve attending GAA matches (the pub and golf come to mind). Changing levels of affluence play a big part of that as well. 
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

NAG1

Skull, dont you think that they are one in the same point or at least very closely linked?

Structure of the leagues would lead to better timing of fixtures esp the high profile matches therefore increasing the amount of people attending increase in interest and hopefully increase in competitiveness?

The thing is we are kind of forcing the people away from the games and that includes players by the lack of 'competitive' games at appropriate times of the year.

theskull1

Quote from: NAG1 on October 20, 2010, 10:10:26 AM
Skull, dont you not think that they are one in the same point or at least very closely linked?

Structure of the leagues would lead to better timing of fixtures esp the high profile matches therefore increasing the amount of people attending increase in interest and hopefully increase in competitiveness?

The thing is we are kind of forcing the people away from the games and that includes players by the lack of 'competitive' games at appropriate times of the year.

Not really NAG....what am I missing?

NAG1

If the leagues are structured better and more carefully (point 1), the games will therefore be played at the right time of the year and the teams will be competitive and not playing dead rubber games. (point 2) Hence the are a more attractive prospect to the golf or pub brigade to go watch, therefore hopefully increasing the standard and the attendance in the same go?

No?  ???

aontroim

This list of fixtures was sent to all clubs at the start of the year as schedule for Div 1 - what would you do differently that would mean the big crowd-pulling games weren't postponed - as they were this year?

Round 1   21/04/2010   
Dunloy    v    Ballycastle
Glenariffe    v    Ballygalget
Ballycran    v    Portaferry
Cushendall    v    Loughgiel

Round 2   25/04/2010   
Portaferry    v    Dunloy
Loughgiel    v    Ballygalget
Cushendall    v    Ballycastle
Ballycran    v    Glenariffe

Round 3   08/05/2010   
Dunloy    v    Loughgiel
Portaferry    v    Cushendall
Ballygalget    v    Ballycran
Ballycastle    v    Glenariffe

Round 4   12/05/2010   
Cushendall    v    Dunloy
Ballycran    v    Loughgiel
Glenariffe    v    Portaferry
Ballycastle    v    Ballygalget

Round 5   23/05/2010   
Dunloy    v    Ballygalget
Ballycastle    v    Portaferry
Glenariffe    v    Loughgiel
Ballycran    v    Cushendall

Round 6   06/06/2010   
Glenariffe    v    Dunloy
Ballycastle    v    Ballycran
Ballygalget    v    Cushendall
Portaferry    v    Loughgiel

Round 7   13/06/2010   
Dunloy    v    Ballycran
Cushendall    v    Glenariffe
Loughgiel    v    Ballycastle
Portaferry    v    Ballygalget

Round 8   20/06/2010   
Ballycastle    v    Dunloy
Ballygalget    v    Glenariffe
Portaferry    v    Ballycran
Loughgiel    v    Cushendall

Round 9   07/07/2010   
Dunloy    v    Portaferry
Ballygalget    v    Loughgiel
Ballycastle    v    Cushendall
Glenariffe    v    Ballycran

Round 10   11/07/2010   
Loughgiel    v    Dunloy
Cushendall    v    Portaferry
Ballycran    v    Ballygalget
Glenariffe    v    Ballycastle

Round 11   18/07/2010   
Dunloy    v    Cushendall
Loughgiel    v    Ballycran
Portaferry    v    Glenariffe
Ballygalget    v    Ballycastle

Round 12   04/08/2010   
Ballygalget    v    Dunloy
Portaferry    v    Ballycastle
Loughgiel    v    Glenariffe
Cushendall    v    Ballycran

Round 13   08/08/2010   
Dunloy    v    Glenariffe
Ballycran    v    Ballycastle
Cushendall    v    Ballygalget
Loughgiel    v    Portaferry

Round 14   22/08/2010   
Ballycran    v    Dunloy
Glenariffe    v    Cushendall
Ballycastle    v    Loughgiel
Ballygalget    v    Portaferry

Milltown Row2

Quote from: BlackandAmber on October 20, 2010, 07:31:16 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 19, 2010, 04:22:03 PM
. As long as Ballycastle play div 2 next year that is ;)

It's where they should be but you should set your sights a little higher Milltown Row

My digs at Ballycastle BlackandAmber are just that, I've a lot of respect for the Castle and watch them for years and when they were at their height (early 80's) they were unlucky not to win an All Ireland or 2.

My grievance with Ballycastle was the last change of the structures which dropped us and the way it was done.

I think 8 team leagues should be the way, anymore would make it less competitive. The second bottom team should play off with the second top team in Div 2 would certainly push teams all year.

I've put this format or similar to our committee every year but nothing ever comes of it when put to county convention. Me thinks that senior clubs are happy with only one team going down so will only do enough to stay up by beating the weakest twice and take a few points elsewhere.

In Football two up two down has went on for years!!

Oh and by the way lads i can't post on the Antrim Webshite as they wont post any of my posts!!! :o :o :o
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BlackandAmber

Of those fixtures highlighted........
21/4/10  Wednesday

8/5/10   Saturday

12/5/10  Wednesday

the next 3 were Sundays

It's the irregularity of fixtures  that discourages spectators and possibly players too

fixtures have been played on just about every day of the week and something needs to be sorted out about that.

BlackandAmber

Fair enough Milltown Row.

That seems like a good idea too.  The structure needs something done - but not this year  :)

I don't think the Town will cruise out of Div 2 so a year in it, a restructure to get them out of it and then maybe they'll not be so keen to go back to it  ;D

theskull1

Quote from: aontroim on October 20, 2010, 03:55:05 PM
This list of fixtures was sent to all clubs at the start of the year as schedule for Div 1 - what would you do differently that would mean the big crowd-pulling games weren't postponed - as they were this year?

Round 3   08/05/2010   
Dunloy    v    Loughgiel   Football match played on this date

Saturday 8th May 2010
Antrim Div 2 Football
Team 1   Score   Score   Team 2   Venue   Comment   
Davitts    3-10   2-3   Dunloy    Davitts   Round 5   

Round 4   12/05/2010   
Cushendall    v    Dunloy     Played on Tuesday 11th so that Football Match could get played on the 12th (8 dual players)

Tuesday 11th May 2010
Antrim Div 1 Hurling
Cushendall    3-12   2-14   Dunloy    Cushendall   Round 4

Round 10   11/07/2010   
Loughgiel    v    Dunloy  Football match played on this date

Sunday 11th July 2010   
Antrim Div 2 Football
Dunloy    1-8   2-11   Rossa    Dunloy   Round 13

Round 11   18/07/2010   
Dunloy    v    Cushendall  Reserve Match played but Antrim played Dublin the night before and then prepared for Cork

Saturday 17th July 2010
All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship
Antrim    1-17   0-19   Dublin       Phase 3

Sunday 18th July 2010
Antrim Reserve Hurling
Dunloy    6-15   2-10   Cushendall    Dunloy   Round 11   

Heres why the Dunloy hurling fixtures didn't take place aontriom

Condensing of fixtures at club senior level because of all the intercounty commitments is the reason why these fixtures don't happen when they are supposed to. The GAA has no respect for dual players anymore when you see what they are expected to do between april and august

Two Hands FFS

Skull was that match due to be played against C'dall on 18th July not moved to the following weekend 24th July for the opening of your indoor hall but had to be cancelled as Antrim beat Dublin on the 17th to qualify to play Cork on the 25th. Not much that can be done about that.

Milltown Row2

Yes the back door qualifiers has certainly had an impact on the leauges and clubs. So whats the answer? Leagues start two weeks earlier, Ulster hurling league finish before leagues and tighter control on games being called off. To be fair its very hard to get a game off now unless it involves the county team
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JamesH

The Div 1 League fixtures consisted of 9 Sundays 4 Wednesdays and 1 sat. Now if anyone tell me that's not much better than previous years there mad. The Cork match affected one fixture. I know our lads were made play one match after the championship final not ideal, as our fixtures were due to finish on 22nd Aug against Oisins and although we didn't want to play it, as we played the Semi the following Sun we did. Ruairi 0g were delighted with the league this year, OK before anyone says it we didn't win it but it was competitive. Loughgiel hadn't the league won until mid Aug. Relegation wasn't done and dusted until the last set of fixtures with three teams involved, what more do people want.  As for regular games it was as good as it possibly could be and remember three Sunday match in a row in June was great. The fact that their were no duel club made it much easier, but i think the jonnies will help the league IF they put an effort in, Div 2 again will be a cracker also with 3/4 teams serious contenders for promotion, is that not good for our leagues

johnneycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 20, 2010, 07:30:07 PM
Yes the back door qualifiers has certainly had an impact on the leauges and clubs. So whats the answer? Leagues start two weeks earlier, Ulster hurling league finish before leagues and tighter control on games being called off. To be fair its very hard to get a game off now unless it involves the county team

Or player burnout  ;D