Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lecale2

Quote from: BlackandAmber on October 16, 2010, 07:30:19 PM
Anybody know the Reserve Cup scores?

C'Dall trounced the Town  but what was the L'giel v Ballycran result?

Loughgiel won by a pt.

Last Man

Quote from: BlackandAmber on October 17, 2010, 12:47:11 PM
If the rumours are right you'll not be in Div 3 and neither the Town nor Rossa will be in Div 2
How does Des do it? He must have some right juicy stuff in his black book just in case the town ever find themselves in the merde!

aontroim

Lads i'm going to bet that the horse-trading will fail to make a difference, and Ballycastle will take their rightful place in Div 2 in 2011.

Milltown Row2

Well they won't be asking us to support their trading. it was their proposal that got us out of div 1 a few years ago.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnneycool

Quote from: BlackandAmber on October 17, 2010, 12:47:11 PM
If the rumours are right you'll not be in Div 3 and neither the Town nor Rossa will be in Div 2

Care to but some meat on the bones of these rumours?

NAG1

Apparently the word is that the we are going from an 8 Team top tier to a 12.

the colonel

Where has the proposal come from?
the difference between success and failure is energy

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnneycool

Quote from: NAG1 on October 18, 2010, 03:08:16 PM
Apparently the word is that the we are going from an 8 Team top tier to a 12.

One way I presume, making 11 games in a year. Is that enough??

Milltown Row2

11 meaningful games with championship and relegation at stake. In Galway thats how it works. The league placings decide who you play. Top four into 1/4 finals. Only problem is we dont have enough teams playing senior.

BlackandAmber

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 17, 2010, 06:54:44 PM
Well they won't be asking us to support their trading. it was their proposal that got us out of div 1 a few years ago.

I haven't spoken to anyone in the Town who is in any way enthusiastic about this.  many say Div 2 is where we should be.

I hear the proposals come not from B'castle but from a div 3 club (among others) who might benefit

Milltown Row2

C'mills Glenarm? I can see someone else putting forward a motion with the towns finger prints all over it.....

johnneycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 18, 2010, 06:02:20 PM
11 meaningful games with championship and relegation at stake. In Galway thats how it works. The league placings decide who you play. Top four into 1/4 finals. Only problem is we dont have enough teams playing senior.

So bringing up St Johns, Rossa, Clooney Gaels and Carey Faughs looks like being the option.

That'll make 9 Antrim teams vying for the senior championship or can some of the lesser opt for intermediate?

Say for talks sake, top two antrim teams go straight to Semi-final stage, next two to the quarter finals with the team in 5th playing the team in 8th, 6th playing 7th, for the right of a quarter final slot and so on like the Leinster championship.
Most teams would consider that they've a chance of having at least one game they could win before having a game against better opposition.

Possibly workable, but I'd be concerned that mid table teams would want to win intermediate rather than have a crack at the senior championship.
I can also see a few tankings during the league phase all the same.

NAG1

Ceratinly somthing needs to be done as as far as I can remember this has been the poorest year by far in terms of regular matches etc and for once we cant blame the county manager for this. Granted there was very little hurling done around the time the County team we playing but this was a decision taken before the season started.

Maybe we are looking back to the past with Rose tinted glasses, but what happened to the sundays of hurling when both teams played a senior and senior reserve match. Has this notion gone away?

Right time for realistic ideas to revamp the league and get competitive games back on the agenda from May-August in the run up to the Championship in August - September......

johnneycool

Quote from: NAG1 on October 19, 2010, 10:35:57 AM
Ceratinly somthing needs to be done as as far as I can remember this has been the poorest year by far in terms of regular matches etc and for once we cant blame the county manager for this. Granted there was very little hurling done around the time the County team we playing but this was a decision taken before the season started.

Maybe we are looking back to the past with Rose tinted glasses, but what happened to the sundays of hurling when both teams played a senior and senior reserve match. Has this notion gone away?

Right time for realistic ideas to revamp the league and get competitive games back on the agenda from May-August in the run up to the Championship in August - September......

I thought this years league was a lot better run out than previous years tbh.

The senior and reserve on the sunday was ideal but there's a lot less sundays now due to more intercounty games with Leinster/Ulster/Christy Ring/AI qualifiers etc. I know some of these are played on saturdays but is it fair on club teams with a big county contingent to play a league game the day after an intercounty game down the country when that league game could have a baring on championship ceedings??

It's not an easy balance to strike.