Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: Glensman on September 29, 2010, 08:30:45 PM
Speaking of all things Ulster as I was...

Look at this one from the county website:
Mullahoran St Josephs (Cavan) v St Brigids Cloughmills (Antrim) at Ballyconnell Ref: J Devlin (Tyrone)

That is a pretty tight journey right there from Cloughmills. I'd say if tried you probably couldn't make a team travel further in Ulster. Did a wee google there and its 50 miles away from Mullahoran.
Is it always home advantage? (Johnney Cool...not talking about Casement here!!)

Strangely enough it looks like the intermediate and junior hurling Ulster club championships early rounds seem to have home advantage to whoever's drawn out first, a bit like the senior club football championship.

I wonder why the senior hurling seems to have missed this rule all these years???  >:(

wino

Johnny the last time Loughgiel played in the ulsters they travelled to Co Down.

NAG1

That was before the Westlink was built though and it was faster to get to the Ards than it was to Casement  ;)

johnneycool

Quote from: wino on September 30, 2010, 10:35:17 AM
Johnny the last time Loughgiel played in the ulsters they travelled to Co Down.

Back in 1989 if I recollect properly and indeed that's the last time an Ulster final has been played outside Antrim.

How's my old mucker Dan the man? Is he still annoying people in the pound?

wino

Johnny - Dans still the same, can't keep that smile off his face. He tried but couldn't annoy anybody in the pound the last few days

wino

Quote from: NAG1 on September 30, 2010, 11:02:48 AM
That was before the Westlink was built though and it was faster to get to the Ards than it was to Casement  ;)

NAG1 maybe the next time your for casement we will all be using space shuttles :)

pdiddy

Quote from: maxpower on September 29, 2010, 01:58:07 PM
Only coming round to posting now - Loughgiel are the champions, a win based on a resolute and mean defence, holding both Dunloy and Cushendall no goals and limited points.

Loughgiel managers made a few big calls during the year and got them right, they had to move Neil McGarry to full back to shore up things, Eddie McCloskey to CHF seemed to unsettle McManus in first throws of the game, Barney was needed at midfield to stop the dominance of the Cushendall pairing.

A few points about the game
1. Johnny Campbell & Eddie McCloskey made some fantastic catches
2. Cushendall line were slow to make the changes,
3. Do umpires only see Loughgiel men getting hit, a very deliberate ploy by the shamrocks to barge into, or slag players, get a nap and then lay down.  Means defenders are relunctant to tackle for the rest of the game.  It something i don't like in their game.
4. the one minute over time was a joke, given Winkers injury, the schmoozle before the sending off and the number of subs, 4 mins in the first half, none in the second.  No sense to that.

Have to disagree with you here Max.  The current management team have worked hard on the discipline side of the Loughgiel game and this is backed up the fact that they've only received 1 Red card all year (early in the season).  When it came down to the crunch of championship hurling their discipline was excellent. 

If defenders are 'reluctant to tackle for the rest of the game' because they have been caught hitting a player off the ball then they have only themselves to blame and not the umpire or referee who spotted the indiscretion.
When a team loses, there's always a row at half time, but when they win, its an inspirational speech

maxpower

It's good discipline but it gamesmanship and it's not how I think hurling should be played. I do agree if you do a dirty stroke off the ball you deserve your medicine but the two key points I was making were loughgiel players were initiating the confrontation, either jostling or giving the verbals, then secondly going down far too easily

Don't want to dwell on it, it didn't win them the championship but while there is much to admire in there aggressive defence it's an aspect of the game I loathe, bear in mind also the goalscorer on Sunday struck off the ball in the closing mins of the semi
What happens next????

Shrek

Have to agree with max here, it isnt a point we should dwell on too much, but if it continues it could spread through more teams and become like soccer.

the jostling and digging (within reason) are part of the game, i saw a couple of incidents where as max said, a player dug another player, he dug back, first player went down like he was shot. if that was to creep into our sport we will have players falling over all the time incase they get a yellow / red ala that foreign sport.

Minder

Limerick and Clare at Casement in NHL, which is nice.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Milltown Row2

If that does keep the services of the past management I'll eat my hat!!

Potential to win the league should Dinny want it. the rest, while being competitive last year are beatable away from home. we need to improve our league but Dinny is not that interested
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

concrete_boots

Sunday 26th September 2010
Reserve Hurling Cup
Team 1   Score   Score   Team 2   Venue   Comment   
St. Galls          Ballycastle    St. Galls   Not Played   

what happened here? is this 2 weeks in row?

Milltown Row2

Playing tomorrow. at four
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

rolloutking

QuoteSt John's v Lisbellaw St Patrick's

Hail Mary Hurling at its most dangerous

drici