Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

I don't think this is the first year they had used video analysis, I'm not sure of it's importance as it's not as if you are playing teams you are unfamiliar with. They were very well looked after under the previous regime when Hooker Connolly had them, training weekends down south etc. They just weren't good enough before and it maybe needed a year or two for some of the younger players to mature and improve.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

johnneycool

Quote from: wino on September 28, 2010, 11:22:39 PM
Watched the DVD of the game today with no nerves or drink to distract me. There was some great hurling from both sides. Yes not high scoring but some really good passages of play. The defending was excellent

Wino,
    can you send that DVD down to me to have a look at?

FAO: JohnneyCool

Ballygalget GAC
14 Ballygalget Road
Newtownards
Co Down
BT22 1NE

thanks in advance

clootfromthe21

Quote from: NAG1 on September 29, 2010, 08:33:44 AM
Wino if your not on the drink I would say to stay out of the medicine cabinet  ;)

Was a poor final on both sides, barring maybe the first 5-10mins from LG. Apart from that it was error ridden and slow.
Not that this changes the result or what it means to LG, just no point dressing it up to be something that it wasnt.

Wasn't at the match, but from talking to people who were and reading a few of the comments on here, the consensus appears to be that it was a relatively poor match. Have to say, having watched tg4 (albeit online), as much as they showed of it appeared to be of a reasonable enough standard - the power of editing, eh?

NAG1

Cloot they do it every week on match of the day with the EPL  :D

Last Man

The benefit in the Video analysis I suppose is when a player sees for himself the faults in his game he takes ownership of putting them right while if he's just hearing it from the coach he can be inclined to take the hump. Overall there are no hiding places. Has to be worth a good few percentage points.

clootfromthe21

Quote from: NAG1 on September 29, 2010, 10:44:21 AM
Cloot they do it every week on match of the day with the EPL  :D

Fair point!!!

wino

Johnny - NAG1 says he will send you a DVD - something about Debbie and Dallas, not sure what its about.

wino

Funny enough with the editing - only things I didn't see was the sending off and DMK`s low pull. Wonder who done the video

johnneycool

Quote from: wino on September 29, 2010, 01:30:14 PM
Johnny - NAG1 says he will send you a DVD - something about Debbie and Dallas, not sure what its about.

Is she any relation to Malachy Dallas of Ballycastle?

wino

NAG1 - not trying to dress it up. I do think if you watched it again you will see good hurling. It wasn't a classic but from a Loughgiel point of view it was only about winning. They held the nerve and came through. Nobody in Loughgiel gives a toss about anything else. As for the medicine cupboard, anybody a cure for a hangover

Glensman

Re Wino's point re the defending I agree - certainly for a 10/15 minute period in the mid to the end of the first half and start of second, Cushendall were blocking at a serious rate and harrassing the Loughgeil players (none more so that Mickey McC but sure we'll not get into that).
Not sure if that suggests good defending or bad play by Loughgeil but I'll go with the former as, though maybe not in the championship, but Loughgeil have been racking up some seriously good scores this year.
There was some decent enough high fielding - think Eddie McCloskey made 1 or 2 good catches first half among a few others.
Declan McKillop was a joy to watch in that first half - he looks so flipping languid but just seemed to be exactly where the ball was for a good 20 min period and got through a mountain of work. Re Wino's comment it seemed like he went for the ball when he pulled from where I was stood.
Paddy McNaughton looks a great prospect. The Dall should have stepped up a gear from his point on the sideline but they just didn't.

Re the poor quality of the game it was the shooting/scoring that was the serious problem....as all have said.
If that's the sole thing you base an analysis of a game on then it was a very poor game.

Fair play to the boadies...a fair few sore heads on the go in that direction I'd say, if they have sobered up.

Has always been a mantra of the boadies to harp back to the All Ireland victory and to slag off the others for not stepping up in the All Ireland series. Will they be able to do that for Ulster and the All Ireland or will they rest on the laurels/in the Pound.
Are they actually good enough to go all the way now they have the monkey off their back?
Discuss.

maxpower

Only coming round to posting now - Loughgiel are the champions, a win based on a resolute and mean defence, holding both Dunloy and Cushendall no goals and limited points.

Loughgiel managers made a few big calls during the year and got them right, they had to move Neil McGarry to full back to shore up things, Eddie McCloskey to CHF seemed to unsettle McManus in first throws of the game, Barney was needed at midfield to stop the dominance of the Cushendall pairing.

A few points about the game
1. Johnny Campbell & Eddie McCloskey made some fantastic catches
2. Cushendall line were slow to make the changes,
3. Do umpires only see Loughgiel men getting hit, a very deliberate ploy by the shamrocks to barge into, or slag players, get a nap and then lay down.  Means defenders are relunctant to tackle for the rest of the game.  It something i don't like in their game.
4. the one minute over time was a joke, given Winkers injury, the schmoozle before the sending off and the number of subs, 4 mins in the first half, none in the second.  No sense to that.
What happens next????

NAG1

Quote from: wino on September 29, 2010, 01:50:35 PM
NAG1 - not trying to dress it up. I do think if you watched it again you will see good hurling. It wasn't a classic but from a Loughgiel point of view it was only about winning. They held the nerve and came through. Nobody in Loughgiel gives a toss about anything else. As for the medicine cupboard, anybody a cure for a hangover

Wasnt this my point  >:(

only things I didn't see was the sending off and DMK`s low pull. Wonder who done the video

Your not seriously going to go to bat for this chap over an early low pull? Ray saw it as did everyone and dealt with it, I think there was more than a little what goes around comes around in that one.

wino

Your right what goes around comes around,if you understand. No big deal with DMK but it wasn't on the DVD as it was a dirty pull - that's all I was saying

Glensman

Speaking of all things Ulster as I was...

Look at this one from the county website:
Mullahoran St Josephs (Cavan) v St Brigids Cloughmills (Antrim) at Ballyconnell Ref: J Devlin (Tyrone)

That is a pretty tight journey right there from Cloughmills. I'd say if tried you probably couldn't make a team travel further in Ulster. Did a wee google there and its 50 miles away from Mullahoran.
Is it always home advantage? (Johnney Cool...not talking about Casement here!!)