Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lecale2

The attacks on Ray are out of order and getting tiresome.

Dunloy beat Portaferry by 4 in the Ulster league semi final last night. Very poor first half with both teams looking like they didn't want to be there. 2 soft goals had Dunloy ahead at half time and the game improved when Portaferry pulled level. Not a great night for hurling - heavy showers and a strong cross field wind.

theskull1

HW is obviously a referee himself. Poor judgement to come on here use the tone & language that he has used. I wonder is that poor judgement as apparent when he's a whistle in his gub?

BTW I can't say I don't share similar concerns (without the bile) about the way he referees games now (as opposed to his first couple of years when I though he was the best in the county).  I hope he has a great final
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

nrico2006

Quote from: pdiddy on September 15, 2010, 11:39:38 PM
Quote from: Heaneys Wish on September 15, 2010, 08:47:51 PM
Quote from: horse it in to her on September 15, 2010, 11:20:25 AM
i here Ray( not so slim ) Matthews has got the job of refereeing the hurling final ,after the way he look after the semi i am shocked he got it ,what happen to someone like Herbie or skinny getting a chance or the best ref of the lot Hasson even if he is a Derry man
Quote from: funtime frankie on September 15, 2010, 03:32:53 PM
Herbie was knocked out of the running cos somebody in his family stole sheep in Loughgile one night about three hundred years ago and the County Board thought that this made him too close to Loughgile.

Did enough arse licking I'm reliably informed to get it, something about its his last year! I hear he's going on Ireland's biggest loser next "Too Loose 30lb". Definitely the wrong choice he's physically not up to the job from what I witnessed at the semi in Dunloy. I would have gone for Hassan, Elliott did a great job in the AI Final on Sunday in croker to be fair. Who ever appoints these guys needs to be taken out and put up against a wall, I'm told he hates loughguile especially the" special one", who plays the foreign game. Can't wait for this one, note pad at the ready, must give Jerome a call to catch everthing including his waist line. ;D

Can't believe he's got it.  Any game he's refereed in the last 4-5 years its all about Me Me Me.  I'm the most important person on this pitch, look at me.

To be honest, its hard to remember most referees that have been in the middle for games I've been involved in over the years, but there is two that stand out for me.

One is Gerard Devlin from Armagh, he would nearly blow you up for striking the ball and the one thing that iritates me more than anything else is a referee that you cannot even say a word to.  A good referee should be able to communicate and if asked something genuinely rthen they should answer with a bit of respect.  He is the type of referee that if he blows you up for a foul and you ask him why then he will move the ball forward in a frenzied stomp.  There should be no problem with a player asking why he was blown up to give the player the opportunity to avoid committing the same foul again.

As for Mathews, he is the only referee that I have came across who does not seem to hide his egotistical side.  The incident that sticks out in my mind happened about 4 years ago when a player from the opposite team was standing in front of me waving his arms and hurl when I was going to hit a free.  I didn't have a problem with that as it was going to go over anyway  ;) but Matthews told him to stop it and keep his hands down.  The player stated that he didn't think he had done anything wrong, and RM responded by saying he had and his exact line then was 'Consider yourself educated'.  But the one thing I would say about RM is that any time he has been in charge of any game I have played he has been very good and fair.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

funtime frankie

Lads, what's the craic with the attacks on Ray Matthews? Any wonder we can't get people to referee our games? Why on earth would anybody want to do anything within the GAA if they are to become the subject of this sort of very personal abuse?

This fella gives up his time and volunteers to serve us by facilitating the playing of our games and what does he get in return? The back ripped out of him. Uncalled for and very unfair.

the colonel

As nrico said there are two types of Ref's and I have never had any problem with Ray, he'll take a bit and give a bit, but not in a spiteful way. If he is fit enough for the task then fair play. Too many refs won't let anyone speak to them and I generally feel these can be the worst
the difference between success and failure is energy

Minder

I remember playing Gort Na Mona about 15 years ago in the Falls Park and there was a ref fron Belfast that I had never seem before or since,he was about 40 with glasses, one of our players "questioned" a decision and his reply was "go f**k yourself you p***k, I don't have to tell you nathin". I thought he would go far..............
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

maxpower

Been told to fu*k off myself in the not too distant past by a top referee, problem was i asked him to explain a decision, ie how can someone
Quote from: Lecale2 on September 16, 2010, 09:23:13 AM
The attacks on Ray are out of order and getting tiresome.

Dunloy beat Portaferry by 4 in the Ulster league semi final last night. Very poor first half with both teams looking like they didn't want to be there. 2 soft goals had Dunloy ahead at half time and the game improved when Portaferry pulled level. Not a great night for hurling - heavy showers and a strong cross field wind.
be booked for a slap with the hurl off the ball.

Probaly was two teams still feeling sorry for themselves, Jaysus we hit some fierce wides again last night
What happens next????

Gaaboardmod3

Lads, this thread is getting a bit out of hand. It is unacceptable to be making cowardly statements about a real person, who does not have the opportunity to answer you back. That sort of poison pen nonsense is not on, especially from anonymous posters.

Please refrain from making personal comments about anyone, players, officials or users, or else bans will be handed out. If the thread does not improve after that, it will be closed.

Thanks

Heaneys Wish

Quote from: theskull1 on September 16, 2010, 10:41:00 AM
HW is obviously a referee himself. Poor judgement to come on here use the tone & language that he has used. I wonder is that poor judgement as apparent when he's a whistle in his gub?

BTW I can't say I don't share similar concerns (without the bile) about the way he referees games now (as opposed to his first couple of years when I though he was the best in the county).  I hope he has a great final

Ah Skull its my job, I have to make a living somehow! OK I would be close to a number of referees and have never had the knackers to do it myself, however this particular appointment has caused serious bad feeling among a lot of your local lads, and their are concerns among his piers to say the least. I will however desist from the topic with immediate effect. Apologies to all concerned, but this is the life of a media mogul!!!! Good luck to the shamrocks...........

funtime frankie

"their are concerns among his piers to say the least."   :D :D :D

What a stupid pirck!!   :D :D :D :D

theskull1

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

gelvis

Quote from: funtime frankie on September 16, 2010, 02:28:18 PM
"their are concerns among his piers to say the least."   :D :D :D

What a stupid pirck!!   :D :D :D :D

These sort of attacks are NAUT(ical) on HW.  Leave the fishing community out of this!  Mind you, it's nice to know that the boys on the piers have more to talk about than overfishing and falling prices in Killybegs
"If you worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on"

thehurler

Match is nearing and all things seem in place .As Tipp said years ago The Famine is Over , our battle cry will be the same.Cushendall at the minute aren't on the same page , I hear Monday coming is their cut off from going off the drink - 6 days before the game - some record that is.
Our boys are very much up for the game and our preparations going great , a good game last week and the boys are really ready to take the cup home and I believe we will.
Cushendall seem too concerned with us at the minute to have any chance !!!

Heaneys Wish

9       GAA Discussion / Local GAA Discussion / Re: Antrim Football Thread       on: September 13, 2010, 09:14:06 AM
From a neutral perspective I thought Gregory was pish poor. It was almost as if he was afraid of a game of football breaking out. He was inconsistent in awarding St Galls some very soft frees in scoring positions which they squandered.

St Galls were in 2nd gear throughout but they never seemed as if they were able to deliver a killer blow, even with the extra man. I think that we still can see a lot more from St Galls but I wonder if their hunger has gone after winning the AI last year?

Quote from: funtime frankie on September 16, 2010, 11:11:25 AM
Lads, what's the craic with the attacks on Ray Matthews? Any wonder we can't get people to referee our games? Why on earth would anybody want to do anything within the GAA if they are to become the subject of this sort of very personal abuse?

This fella gives up his time and volunteers to serve us by facilitating the playing of our games and what does he get in return? The back ripped out of him. Uncalled for and very unfair.

Looking at your comments on GW(Reiteoir) in the football tread, looks like pot/kettle scenario, be consistent at least, would love to get your comments back in the native tongue, very rarely you find it these days, at least we share a common interest. The  I promised that I wouldn't engage in this again, so that's the end of it.

Milltown Row2

Ray is a good ref. not too many refs on this board so until you try it at a decent level then keep quiet. Herbie done our game last night and was grand.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea