Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glensman

Don't get me wrong I was going buck mad through the second half (and the first and most of the second at the ref) but I never thought I'd be going so buck mad at scraping home against Carlow.

Serious step up required and a good look at where things went wrong:
aimless high balls into (1) unmarked Carlow players hand, (2) the full forward line with no angle at all just big hail marys (3) the keepers hand or (4) wide.
Also there was a seriously annoying habit of going at a high ball with one hand. Now in a junior club game you can get away with that time to control the ball down into the hand but at that level and higher the ball should be caught or batted with some forced...not many going at the ball with one hand for KK today.

1. O'Connell - grand. Was good under 1 maybe 2 high balls. Just have that feeling that McGhee (assume he's gone having not gone to training last week) or McGarry would have saved one of the goals. His puck outs have got more distance over the past while (use it!).
2. McGourty - not far off MOTM for me. Defended from the front, frustrated his man. Striking could do with another 20 yards.
3. Donnelly - needs to start commanding the square...no soft goals (which they all were). But was strong when had the chance and a few clearances.
4. Delargy - defending he did well (save for being sold a serious dummy under the stand when he should have stood up). However, his persistance to get a short puck or when he picked up the ball to go on a solo was madness, complete madness. Get the ball up the field to those who do damage SD and stop running into trouble.
5. Shields - some decent clearances and tidy on the ball. Not sure where his best position is (Skull or Max may have some views). If he stays there we need him to bulk up, start winning catches. Half back needs to be the platform for a good team. Hope he goes on to be our Tony Browne.
6. JC - not as bad as some have said but does need to be more commanding and if he ain't catching the ball then his man shouldn't be. Smarter clearances as well required rather than belting it down the field.
7. Herron - was solid but guilty of going at the ball with the stick rather than catching. Has lost a yard of pace and was exposed on that for a couple of times. Not bad.
8. Stewart - 3 points from play a good return. A very tidy hurler. Will get stuck in as well. Up another 10% for the next day and use that brain to get good ball in.
9. McNaughton - got on the ball a fair bit in first half but should have used it better. Great striker and worth a few scores. Outmuscled under the high ball a few times.
10. McFall - didn't really get on the ball at all. Their half back line mopped up quite a bit of ball which should have been made harder by him and McCann. If it ain't dropping for you just make sure you bust your balls.
11. McManus - class act, fought, caught, hassled and harried when we were down...not many did that in the first half. Then scored a couple from play. Can carve up defences when he gets on the ball but should use men to his left and right more often.
12. McCann - fought hard for the ball but like McFall just didn't get into the game. Had a good goal chance which we really need to be taking (especially the next day)
13. PJ O'Connell - agree he was causing bother in the 2nd half but then got nullified. Wasn't given many opportunities to get at the defence. Balls played to him on the diagonal, low balls - he could do damage. Bit of a poacher it seems which is good.
14. Watson. Wasn't given great service at all and thus couldn't do much damage. On fire he and McManus can bring us to that next level. Not many can hit a penalty or placed ball as hard as that...any opportunities round the 21 we should be trying that in my mind.
15. McKeegan - fair play he scored a couple of crackers at the right time near the end...but in the paper today (Sunday Life) he was given man of the match...just still not convinced about him at a corner forward. His play in the half back line and midfield should make him very useful at feeding off the breaking ball off Watson - but he didn't and was a little lost in my opinion. 4 points still a good return.

Eddie Brennan et al in the KK forward line feed off scraps and make the most of opportunities (few wides today alright)...the ball was coming out too easily and too quickly. Every ball should be treated like its your last.

McCrory - very impressed by him when he came on, ran at them, caused them bother scoring one and setting up one or two more. We need more direct hurling like that - things happen when you go at them and are on the front foot.

We need to learn from yesterday - more clinical, less fumbling, strong under the high ball, more playing to a plan...not just long high aimless balls into their defence.
Use Watson by playing low angled ball to him, McConnell's pace, clear wide to let McManus run at them - all that together with a new ref.

Minder

I hear Tommy McIntyre refused to referee extra time in the Senior Feis final last night due to the abuse he was getting from the Dunloy supporters.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

NAG1

Have to say congrats to the Amtrim Hurlers, was a determined and gritty disply something that has been lacking in the last couple of years.

To the match I think the better 'Team' was beaten in Carlow. Generally they worked together better found the right pass with more regularity than Antrim did and made better decisions in most areas of the field. However Antrim battling qualities and determination got them over the line thankfully in the end.

Esp in the first half how many times LW isolated in a one on one situation at FF with an Antrim man in possession out the field, only for that man to go for a crazy point from 80 - 90 yrds. Still to many playing for the Irish News.

Both wing half forwards were very poor and no primary and very little secondary possession was won in this area of the field. McCrory did make a difference to this area but dont think he is a long term solution.

Overall alot of work to do but some of the qualities shown were admirable, if we can just get the team play and hurling to match then we would be a game for anyone on our day.

Glensman - from what I heard McGhee has left the panel and if what I heard was correct then he was left in a position were he had very little option. I agree with you that he would have made a better attempt to save the 3rd goal as he would have been off his line to try a block.

johnneycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 04, 2010, 11:30:10 AM
what a performance by the referee!!!

Antrim were nearly caught out by a very good Carlow team. their fitness, fielding and passion for the game was brilliant. it was a great game to watch and was played at a real high tempo. Antrim won despite the referees attempts, was speaking to some of the lads afterwards and they said it was a serious fast game, they took a lot of hits and I'm sure are sore today.

Carlow brought up some supporters and as said already they were great.

did anyone notice the managers at the end of the game? you would have thought we won the All Ireland!!! The doc was mauled by the managers. Antrim now need to kick on. if they manage to avoid Tipp then we might get to a quarter final.

i started the boos at the referee at the end. i shouldn't have but he was clearly doing his best ti try and lose us the match. Seen him referee before and he's been grand. enjoyed the cheering when he give Antrim their first free.

Now you know what we feel like when we get Gerry Devlin and now Hassan from Derry refereeing us.

NAG1

Antrim have had their fair share of GD trying to make a match of it with every other Ulster team.

Plus Hassan is one of the better refs on his day.

Onthehill

Dunloy won the feis last night. Beat the dall by 2 points.

Poor affair i must say. Spolied a bit by the blustery conditions.

McIntyre refused to come out for the extra time because some of the Dunloy players or selectors said something to him!! Do know if this is true but its funny  ;D ;D

Dall looked at full stregth bar Graffen being in America.  I wasnt sure if that was Dunloys full team. Dick O Kane was standing just down from me and Shiels was pucking around at half time. Any other first team missing??

maxpower

Quote from: Minder on July 05, 2010, 08:19:46 AM
I hear Tommy McIntyre refused to referee extra time in the Senior Feis final last night due to the abuse he was getting from the Dunloy supporters.

Dunloy were a point up in the last minute, Kevin mcKeague had the ball on the sideline, tried to clear it and though he was pulled down. Ball went over the line for a Dall line ball, someone questioned the decision then threw the ball into the wire.  Tommy changed the lineball to a free, and moved it forward 10m, then another 10m.

A few supporters/players/managers 'questioned' the legitamacy of changing a lineball to a free and tommy refused to carry on for extra time

To be honest, and i don't condone verbally abusing a ref; but there seemed to be very little in it. 

Not sure what the repercussions will be.

As for the game itself, it was a decent match in the end but took 45mins to warm up.  The strong cross field ball made it difficult for both teams but cushendall seemed to adapt better in the early stages.  Dunloy grew stronger as the game when on and looked the fresher in extra time, possibly because Cushendalls main players, McNaughton, McKeegan & McManus had all hurled the previous day.

2 points, James McKeague was outstanding and to my mind should have been man of match, special mention also to Ally Elliott, without doubt Dunloy's best forward yesterday and its incredible that at 39 he can still perform to that level for a full game plus extra time. 
What happens next????

johnneycool

Quote from: NAG1 on July 05, 2010, 09:22:02 AM
Antrim have had their fair share of GD trying to make a match of it with every other Ulster team.

Hassan doesn't seem to have any of his better days when a Down team is playing, club or county.

Glensman

Quote from: NAG1 on July 05, 2010, 08:57:27 AM
Glensman - from what I heard McGhee has left the panel and if what I heard was correct then he was left in a position were he had very little option.

Go on then NAG1 - McGhee given the road or walk out?

I'd say if Tommy had a pound for every time he was called a "loughgeil f**ker" by a Dunloy man he would be sipping a beer in the south of Spain right now rather than recovering from the Feis. Actually strike that...he'd still be organising referees all round North Antrim and further afield as that is what he does.

Was he being given a hard time right through the game or just this specific incident? Always found him to be a good fair referee who knows the craic - when a slap is a dirty one or not and when someone is acting the eejit.
I remember playing in a game where the corner back was doing some serious wild pulling in the vicinity of our corner forward and the ball. I say vicinity...it was nowhere near either as he was so bad. Tommy made the fair enough point that he didn't look like he was able to do any damage, only to himself.

However, it sounds like an interesting decision alright. I have always wondered that (over this past four days I have wondered an awful lot about referees...) - do referees have the discretion to change a line ball to a free. Am guessing it may be covered by some form of catch all discretion that they can do whatever they want to.

NAG1

From what I heard he walked after was put in an extremely awkward position regarding selection.

Bad job if the person involved cant keep to their word. But just saying what I heard. He is twice the keeper that CO'C is and everyone would agree on that.

theskull1

Quote from: johnneycool on July 05, 2010, 10:33:53 AM

Hassan doesn't seem to have any of his better days when a Down team is playing, club or county.

Tommy Mac is like that when Dunloy are playing IMO. Have seen him deliver top class performances elsewhere. Actually he didn't do too bad last night if I'm honest. Both teams played hard but fair and he let the game go I thought to the right degree. It was the sideline cut issue which left everybody bamboozled and seeing as it was a decision which had a massive impact on the game...emotions ran high. Is changing a sideline to a free in the rule book? No one I spoke to had seen it before?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Onthehill

Quote from: NAG1 on July 05, 2010, 12:46:19 PM
From what I heard he walked after was put in an extremely awkward position regarding selection.

Bad job if the person involved cant keep to their word. But just saying what I heard. He is twice the keeper that CO'C is and everyone would agree on that.

What was awkward? Person involved can't keep their word?

Still dont get it. Tell us the craic.

oisinog

What I cant understand is how can someone who cant make their clubs starting lineup make the counties starting line up

No harm to C'oC he is a decent keeper but if you are not getting regular league action how can we expect him to play well for the county

McGee is a great keeper but a very bad trainer from what i here.

Heaneys Wish

Quote from: theskull1 on July 05, 2010, 01:06:45 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on July 05, 2010, 10:33:53 AM

Tommy Mac is like that when Dunloy are playing IMO. Have seen him deliver top class performances elsewhere. Actually he didn't do too bad last night if I'm honest. Both teams played hard but fair and he let the game go I thought to the right degree. It was the sideline cut issue which left everybody bamboozled and seeing as it was a decision which had a massive impact on the game...emotions ran high. Is changing a sideline to a free in the rule book? No one I spoke to had seen it before?

It is if you read the rule book properly, moving it on a further 13metre however isn't so on that one he is incorrect, you can only advance 13m once then your into yellow cards etc etc. Skull maybe this is the problem, no-one knows the actual rules of the game and thus the frustration when a knowledgeable Ref implements them?

stevecw

Couldn't make the game Saturday thanks to damn work  >:(
But listened on radio and sounded like a great game. We seemed to play well in that 1st half, but let Antrim back in for a few vital points before HT.

Losing our best forward, and then captain due to injury within 5 mins of 2nd half really cost us it seems. Our subs bench is very weak as we are only choosing from 5 clubs so strength in depth is never gonna be part of any Carlow Hurling squad sadly. The 2 guys came on did nothing by all accounts.

By reports here the ref did everything he could to screw Antrim over and it sounded that way on radio. But looking at the highlights it seems the Antrim peno was very soft as was the free at the end that put you 2 pts up.

Before the game I didn't give us a hope, but sickening to have led by 9 pts and then ended up losing. Its been a decent year for us and at least we have proven we belong at the Liam McCarthy level by beating Laois and coming so close to beating a team in their home ground who drew with Offaly.

7 of our side are U-21 and all bar 3 are under 25 so we can only get better. Fair play to Antrim for their battling, and showing such spirit after being behind all game to come good in last couple of mins. Hopefully ye can win another game or 2.