Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Good to win 2 league games but not setting the world alight just yet...

How many injuries have we got? Is Johnny Tosh injured or is he in the squad?

Minder

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 28, 2010, 10:17:05 PM
Good to win 2 league games but not setting the world alight just yet...

How many injuries have we got? Is Johnny Tosh injured or is he in the squad?

He isn't injured and is in the squad.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

imtommygunn

Oh right - I would have thought he'd have been on in the full forward line. Maybe Dinny has other ideas.

He'll be needed against Wexford / Clare anyway.

Minder

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 28, 2010, 10:30:23 PM
Oh right - I would have thought he'd have been on in the full forward line. Maybe Dinny has other ideas.

He'll be needed against Wexford / Clare anyway.

I don't think he was on today. He was called to go on for the last 30 seconds against Carlow but didn't make it on in time.

the colonel

anyone know the team from today?
the difference between success and failure is energy

Two Hands FFS

Heard Tosh wasnt in the 24 to travel to Kildare & walked out.

the colonel

Still no idea of the team on Sunday?

drici

Antrim Earn Hard Fought Win at Kildare

Antrim 1-19 Kildare 2-07

It took them a while to get going but Antrim eventually imposed themselves to make the long trip to Newbridge pay with a hard-fought victory over Kildare today.

The game never got going in the first half, with both sides looking lethargic and lacking touch.

Antrim opened the scoring with an early free from Liam Watson but Lorcan Harney responded in kind, and might have had a goal as well but his mis-hit ground shot bobbled harmlessly wide.

The visitors looked to be getting a grip on proceedings when the ultra-sharp PJ O'Connell and Eddie McCloskey slotted nice points.

Kildare got a huge boost though when Martin Fitzgerald's speculative shot from 30m flew into the net off the fingers of unfortunate Antrim goalkeeper, Ryan McGarry in the ninth minute.

Neil McManus landed a free in response and then saw two piledrivers saved magnificently by Kildare netminder Paul Dermody.

Suitably encouraged, the hosts notched up a couple of points from Tony Murphy and a Harney free from 65m and another Harney free just before the break gave them a 0-7 to 1-5 interval lead.

Dinny Cahill kept Antrim in the dressing room for a lengthy period at half time and whatever was said certainly seemed to have an impact as the Saffron men stormed out of the traps with four points in 80 seconds.

Shane McNaughton was outstanding at midfield for Antrim and he began the flourish with a fine score on the run.

Martin Fitzgerald stopped the rot with a neat finish and when Richie Hoban lashed a penalty to the roof of the net in the 43rd minute, a shock result looked a possibility.

Crucially though, McManus struck the net at the other end of the field within a minute of Hoban's strike and from there to the end, there was only one team in it.

Antrim had the wind in their favour in that second half and they used it to provide an exhibition of scoring in the final quarter.

Neil McManus and Liam Watson were responsible for all of them, sharing the remaining six points between them. Indeed the duo's aggregate tally came to 1-14 and Kildare had no answer to their threat.

Salt was rubbed into the Lilies' wounds when wing-back Eanna O'Neill received his second yellow card, leaving them down to 14 men for the last five minutes.

Antrim: R McGarry; S Shannon, N McGarry, B McFall; A Graffan, K McKeegan, C Herron; S McNaughton 0-3, S McCrory; T McCann, N McManus 1-7(0-6fs), C McFall; E McCloskey 0-1, L Watson 0-7(3fs), PJ O'Connell 0-1. Subs: M Scullion for Shannon (ht); C McAllister for McCloskey (49)

Kildare: P Dermody; P Curtin, D Ryan, P Keegan; P Reidy, R Hoban 1-0(pen), E O'Neill; M Divilly, N Ó Muineacháin; T Murphy 0-2, D Kennedy, D Harney; L Harney 0-2(fs), M Moloney, M Fitzgerald 1-2. Subs: C Buggy for Divilly (ht); J Houlihan for Harney (33); D Carter for L Harney (37); P Bugy for Moloney (50)

Referee: S Whelan (Wexford)

the colonel

Shane playing midfield seems very strange. He got three points which obviously was good but a funny selection there. No surprise Colm McBride was dropped. Is that Conor McAllister from Glenariffe who came on?

Minder

Quote from: the colonel on March 02, 2010, 01:52:39 PM
Shane playing midfield seems very strange. He got three points which obviously was good but a funny selection there. No surprise Colm McBride was dropped. Is that Conor McAllister from Glenariffe who came on?

Aye he was asked up just before the Carlow game.

imtommygunn

What's McCann like? Any use?

the colonel

McCann caught a few good balls when he moved to wing forward against Carlow. I'd say thats why he moved out for Kildare game.

Is Conor worth a place Minder in your opinion. Thought Tosh would have been more use. Dinny certainly is confusing people

Minder

Quote from: the colonel on March 02, 2010, 04:44:35 PM
McCann caught a few good balls when he moved to wing forward against Carlow. I'd say thats why he moved out for Kildare game.

Is Conor worth a place Minder in your opinion. Thought Tosh would have been more use. Dinny certainly is confusing people

From what I heard he was one of our better ones last year and was very good against Dunloy in the championship semi final. I always thought he was short of a yard of pace for inter county hurling but then I think we get carried away in Antrim sometimes about the quality of player we should have on the team. He is certainly worth a try as I believe he has as much ability as a lot of them already there

the colonel

again he's a lightweight player but haven't really ever seen him (other than against us and never impressed).

Serious high turnover of players in last couple of years

Minder

Quote from: the colonel on March 02, 2010, 04:53:26 PM
again he's a lightweight player but haven't really ever seen him (other than against us and never impressed).

Serious high turnover of players in last couple of years

In fairness Colonel he has fairly built himself up in the last 18mths. I would say he is worth a try I suppose and he is on a par or better than some that are already on the panel, in my opinion. If he makes it we can put it down to his Glenariffe genes and if he doesent we can attribute it to his Cushendall genes.